Shopping is my problem I tend to shop all the time and I can't change it's the only time I am happy I see a Therapyst and it' not working or something I DESPERTATELY need help or I loose my family Please help if you got the answers

BTDT. When I'm depressed I shop because the brief "aha" moment when I get a deal is a moral boost. When I'm manic I shop because I never know what I might need when (and sometimes come home literally with a car load of odds and ends, some of which I don't even know *what* it is!). Last month, while unemployed and surviving on odd jobs and social security, I maxed out my credit card at a local thrift store and the dollar store. Thankfully, knowing my tendency to overspend I keep a low credit limit on the card and will eventually be able to dig myself out, though my credit history took a hit & I will pay interest for sure!

What's helped for me is putting specific safeguards into place and actually following them--with help from someone else if needed (that's where I fell apart last month). Simple rules like never spending over $100 on ANYTHING without calling your support figure first (broke that rule on my 2 year gym membership & personal training sessions I can't even use because of my health condition!). Cut up the credit cards, keep it down to one if absolutely needed. I have literally frozen my credit cards and it DOES work--the time it takes to thaw them out is usually enough to distract myself some other way (and if it ruins the strip all the better prevention wise). Determine what stores are your "triggers" and stay away from them unless you are with a support figure. If you absolutely have to turn it all over to someone else while you work on dealing with the root causes (either depression/anxiety/mania/whatever) and have more self control. Nothing wrong with admitting you can't do it on your own right now.

Thanks for these great tips.

As with any addiction, having a support system, identifing triggers and ensuring that you cannot access the object of your addiction are important keys to recovery.

We wish you the best and thank you again for such great input.

Can you tell us a little more about your addiction? You mention being afraid of losing your family and seeing a therapist. But what makes you shop? Is it stress, anxiety, something else? What have you done to try to change it? What works (or helps)? What doesn't?

Please tell us more so that we can best help you!

Emotional Health

Emotional Health Guide