Should I work out when I'm sick?

I'm always hesitant to work out when I'm sick or right after I'm sick. I want to stick to my fitness routine, but I don't want to relapse. Should I work out when I'm sick?

I always make the mistake of ignoring my body when it feels ill. I push myself and then end up taking a longer time recovering. If you feel very sick, I would take a day or two for your body to rest and then go back to a light work out.

Hi Jessica

Thanks for this question - it's a great one! 

You can work out at home if you do not feel great. Just pace yourself and stop if you feel any kind of nausea, dizziness or weakness. You can also go outside and do a brisk walk. 

Do not exercise at a gym if you feel ill. You run a great risk of passing on your illness to someone else, even if you wipe down your equipment. Germs can be airborne and you could make others ill. 

Sickness is a time when your body needs rest and recuperation, not necessarily hard exercise although a little shouldn't hurt. 

I find that most people who work out are fairly well tuned into their bodies and the signals it gives. Take heed of the signs and follow suit. A few days off will not make you relapse in anyway! 

I hope this helps you! 

Fitness Guide