Wellness

ask: Is walking as effective as running?

By Jenny Housh HERWriter

Sometimes I enjoy a evening stroll around the block. But whenever i'm out I often feel that I should run instead of walk for a better workout. Is walking an effective workout? Can it burn as many calories as running?

Hi Jenny

It depends what you mean by stroll! Is this a slow to moderate pace? If it is then it will not be as effective for burning calories as running or power-walking. 

There is nothing wrong at all with an evening stroll - it gets your body moving and fresh air into your lungs. It's will also burn a limited amount of calories. 

I find running too hard but power-walking is easy once you get used to it and it will burn calories and is a great cardio workout, like jogging. Cardio is what will get you fitter and burn the calories off. It also works wonders for belly fat! 

Running is much harder on the joints - it's high impact. Power-walking is easier but still gives great benefits. 

I would start with a power-walk (use your arms too, it'll help tone your arms and burn more calories) and do that for a couple of weeks. If you feel up to jogging instead, try that but don't put pressure on yourself to take up running, when power-walking is also very effective. 

Read my article on power-walking here (and bear in mind this was before I took up competitive tennis!) : 

http://www.empowher.com/community/share/susan-cody-avowed-exercise-hater...

Has this helped you, Jenny?

What do you think is the most important health test for women?: