What are the dirtiest things to touch in public?

I am a huge germaphobe! I carry hand sanitizer around all the time with me. I always worry about how many germs there are in public places and avoid touching door handles, stair rails, etc. What are the dirtiest things in public places? What should I avoid touching?

Hello Kelly,

The germiest public places that could make you sick are:

1) soap dispensers in public restrooms: 25% of restroom soap dispensers are carrying fecal material.

2) public restroom door handles: I grab an extra square of toilet paper of paper towel on your way out to grip the door handle with.

3)restaurant menus: cold and flu viruses can survive for up to 18 hours on a hard surface and you do not know who handled that menu before you.

4)condiment dispenser in eateries: whose fingers gripped that bottle of ketchup before you grabbed it?

5) grocery store carts: contain more germs than your regular public bathroom handle. Take advantage of the sanitizer infused sheets offered at the entrance of the store and wipe the handle well.

6)airplane bathrooms: A study found that many bathroom faucets and doorknobs on commercial jets are contaminated with E. coli (often because of feces).