What are normal levels of progesterone?

I recently had a repeat day 21 progesterone test. My first result came back at 0.03 and the second came back at 0.02. My GP has referred me to a specialist for some further tests. What should i expect and what effects does this have on my fertility.

Your levels are low so going to an expert is an excellent start - congratulations on being so pro-active with your own life and health!

There is no single number that states what a normal progesterone level is because it varies from one woman to another and from one part of the menstrual cycle to another.

One of our writers and guides, Alison Beaver, wrote a great informational answer about progesterone levels in general. I am reposting a portion of it here:

"Here is a brief "scientific" explanation of how progesterone and ovulation are linked:

The "ovulatory phase" begins with a surge in two hormones (produced by the pituitary gland): LH and FSH. LH stimulates egg release (ovulation), which usually occurs 16 to 32 hours after the surge begins. The estrogen level peaks during the surge, and the progesterone level starts to increase.

The estrogen and progesterone's purposes are then to stimulate the uterus to prepare for possible fertilization.

When the egg is not fertilized, the progesterone level decreases, and menstruation occurs.

As far as the progesterone level range, it is important to ask for a written copy of the lab results, as each lab's "normal ranges" differ slightly. You can call your doctor's office, to request a copy. The lab result will have your number, along with the normal range. As mentioned above, the progesterone levels change dramatically, depending on what "phase" you are in, related to your cycle.

I think it is important to talk with the nurse or doctor about what this number means for you specifically.

Here are one lab's progesterone ranges, depending on cycle phase. Please know these are approximations.
Follicular phase (before ovulation) 0.2 - 1.4 ng/mL
Luteal phase (1-8 days after ovulation) 3.3 - 25.0 ng/mL
Mid-luteal phase (9-14 days after ovulation) 4.4 - 28.0 ng/mL

Please confirm this with your doctor.
For more information:
http://www.babyhopes.com/articles/progesterone.html "

Anon - with regard to future fertility, you may need supplements of progesterone to help with getting pregnant (progesterone works alongside estrogen and are the two main female hormones in our bodies). Your doctor may need to create a balance of progesterone and estrogen in your body to enable you to have enough progesterone to sustain and strengthen a pregnancy.

An expert in this field will guide you through this and make sure you ask plenty of questions so that you don't leave confused. That's an easy thing to happen when they start throwing numbers and levels out.

Please let me know if this information helps you. Also - can you tell us when your appointment is with your specialist?