What are your political hopes?

By November 2, 2008 - 11:40am

What are you hoping for with the change in the Political Climate?

I know I am looking for jobs and job security. I am really hoping for a change in the economic climate that will cease the tax breaks for companies that move their businesses overseas. America need jobs.

What are your hopes?

My feeling is that our new President will be a one-term one, due to the mess he has inherited.

My hope is that he lives up to his promises of 'change' and that we see the 47 million people in this country without health insurance having access to affordable, quality care.

I hope we see a responsible withdrawal from war zones and that our troops come home quickly and safely.

I hope our economy strengthens and that Wall Street, banks, lending institutions and all other financial houses have their greed curtailed - some of which is shamelessly unregulated.

I hope we as a people learn to start saving more, spending less and become more personally responsible for our futures.

I'd like to see a healthier environment and for more people to consider a vegetarian lifestyle :)

I'd to see all adults having the right to marry, regardless of their orientation.

Lastly, I'd like to see America regain some of its good reputation on a global scale as soon as possible.

That about covers it for today!

Congratulations to Mr. Obama!

I'm with you -- I want the wars resolved, and I want health care in this country fixed.

I understand your father's point about Social Security, but there isn't a voter mandate right now to change anything about it; in fact, it's exactly the opposite. Politicians know that whoever brings up Social Security reform will be shown the door on the very next election day.

It does feel like health care has a mandate from the populace right now. There are too many uninsured people; the costs of health care for everyone are too high; and companies, feeling the nation's economic woes, are cutting back on benefits. It feels like this is a watershed time regarding health care -- something will happen, it just remains to be seen what it is.

I think we'll definitely see something in the next four years. But it has so much to do with what party the president is from and what the makeup of the Senate and House of Representatives are that I wonder what it'll look like when it happens.

I have my heart set on health care and health insurance changing. Both parties mentioned this as one of their top five priorities (or top ten!?), but my father-in-law is skeptical; he does not think any improvements will be made for decades. For an example, he said, "look at social security!" His comment made me realize that he may be right, as many factors will need to be addressed, then discussed, then approved...how long will that take? Plus, I can't imagine the "fixing" of the economy or health insurance or energy crisis or the war--or any of the other problems--in a vacuum, meaning, all of these impact each other and have a reciprocal relationship. Can all of these things be "fixed" in one term?!

Do you think this president, within the next 4 years, will be able to make any real changes?