Lupus

ask: What is an effective treatment for systemic lupus?

By khambli1

My best friend has systemic lupus, it recently has been affecting her kidneys. Her doctor told her it is in stage four, is chemo really the best way to treat this?

Anonymous

I LIKE THIS WEB PAGE MY NIECE HAS LUPUS SLE AND SHE HAS TO GET READY TO START CHEMO THERAPY . MY FAMILY MEMBERS ARE WORRIED ABOUT THE CHEMO PART OF HER TREATMENT IT HAS EVERYBODY SCARED AND WORRIED. MY NIECE IS SCARED ALSO I WORK IN THE MEDICAL FIELD AND WANTED MORE INSIGHT ON THE TREATMENT. I WILL HAVE HER TO RESEARCH WITH ME SO SHE CAN PUT HER MIND AT EASE . I READ THE COMMENTS AND REALLY APPRECIATE THE COURAGE AND STRENGTH OF EVERYONE THAT POSTED A COMMENT...... THANK YOU

Anonymous

If you want to HEAL your body from SLE/ lupus you must HEAL your body. DIET CHANGE: get off all grains and dairy, get on the paleo diet. Get on high nutritional healing program through a clinical/ functional nutritionist. Chemo and standard medical treatment are NOT going to heal you. Do not let your fear let you fall victim of the medical/pharmaceutical fraud.

My close friend HEALED herself through clinical nutrition, chiropractic and getting out from under the deth plan set out by her medical group at the hospital.

Susan Cody HERWriter Guide (reply to Anonymous)

Thanks for your input!

EmpowHER does not condone readers being told to forgo medical help in lieu of diet and hiring a chiropractor. While we believe that a combination of medical, nutritional and holistic treatments can and do work very well together (and are often the best plans for the road back to heath), we advise our readers to make their own decisions and talk to their health care providers first, before making any rash decisions. While we are all entitled to our opinions, encouraging people to abruptly end medical treatment is dangerous and calling a treatment team's health plan as a "death plan" is unsafe.

Anonymous

There really are not "stages" of lupus, this term is used rather loosely. Lupus has "classes," and in itself does not require chemo; but conditions arising from lupus or serious organ damage might. Please see this from the Lupus Foundation of America: http://www.lupus.org/webmodules/webarticlesnet/templates/new_communityex...

Anonymous

Ok I have to add in here we all understand it is a autoimmune disease and she is not the only one that was told what stage of lupus she is in.

I too am told I am stage 4 lupus and will need chemo. This was backed by 4 other docotrs.

Pat Elliott HERWriter Guide (reply to Anonymous)

Anon - Thanks for writing. I'm sorry to learn you have stage 4 lupus and are going to need chemo. Do you have friends and/or family members who are helping you through this? Is there information that you may need that we can help research for you? I hope we hear back from you and learn more about you. Your journey's not an easy one, and we're here to support you.
Take care,
Pat

alysiak

First, please understand that lupus is not a form of cancer. It is an autoimmune disease. Because this condition causes the body to attack itself, a multitude of health conditions could arise and could also become life-threatening. But, there are many of us lupus patients who are fortunate enough to have our condition under control and lead fairly normal lives.

Chemo would be a treatment only in a very severe case of lupus (please see Treatment for Lupus). My SIL, who recently passed away due to severe complications from SLE, had undergone chemotherapy in an attempt to control her cancer (not caused by lupus) and problems with her kidneys (caused by lupus and other issues).

I hope this helps. Alison provided some excellent references for you to read, as well.

Anonymous

I was reading the above responses regarding lupus. I too have Lupus, SLE. I am 33 and was diagnosed @ 27 after having bilateral P.E 's in my left lung. I have had several problems physically with the illness and take alot of medications, including 15mg daily of warfin (a blood thinner). I have recently started cytoxic cemotherapy. I would love to be able ao advise on how it worked out, but I am still taking the treatments now. There are some side affects that I have been dealing with but I hope that in the long run it will all be worth it. I would love to chat with some other people who have SLE and have to deal with severe lupus. I feel alone at times, and feel people do not understand due to Lupus not being an open wound that you can see. If anyone should have any new information or have quetions that I may have the answer to ...please feel free to contact me via email.

My daughter is 32 and was diagnosed with Lupus 5 years ago. Nikki had 3 heart attacks, strokes, kidney failure, dialysis, NF, she died during her first of 7 surgerys, brain aneurysm etc etc,,,was in the ICU FOR ABOUT 3 MONTHS...she did cytoxan for a couple years and now is on Cellcept

I started an Album for her on facebook..you can add me if you like...Linda Nechetsky

Alison Beaver (reply to Anonymous)

Hi,
Thanks for sharing your story, and we would be interested in hearing how your treatment regime works out!

If you are interested in connecting with other women who have SLE, you have many options:
1. EmpowHER's Lupus Connect. You can send a message to other EmpowHER members who have listed Lupus as a Condition that they are interested in.

2. Become a member of EmpowHER, to receive updates and information about Lupus, as well as have the ability to have continued discussion with other EmpowHER members, experts, guides and HerWriters (you are anonymous as a HER Guest).

3. Online support groups and/or local chapters: Lupus Foundation of America

I hope these resources help, and we hope you will keep in touch!

Did you know that your Internet Browser is out of date?

We're sorry to inform you that you're using a really old web browser and we are unable to support it anymore. A list of the most popular web browsers can be found below. -The EmpowHER Development Team

By closing this window, you acknowledge your experience on this website may be degraded

Close this window