ask: What's the ideal temperature of a home?

Is there a general concensus about what the temperature of a house should be? I know that advice has been given about having a home too warm or too cold but am not sure what a healthy temperature is.

I like a very warm house in winter but don't like the attached bills!

We keep our programmable thermostat at 68 degrees F. We have kids but we're all healthy with no special needs. Honestly, I'd like it higher but I want to save on energy costs, be a bit more envioronmentally conscious and 68 degrees works well, as our house is newer and very well insulated.

Any opinions?

Anonymous

I definitely believe that everyone can come to a consensus on what feels appropriate for a room temperature. I just think it truly depends on the time of day it is, and what kind of weather it is outside.

At night, most people are inclined to enjoy a cooler setting as opposed to a warmer one. A normal temperature for that would be around 67-69 degrees. And for the daytime 69-72.

If it is winter then your preferences may change because the overall temperature of your house goes down.

It's all subjective, but I've found that most people find comfort in the 68-70 range overall.
GT

Anonymous

What do thermal comfort Standards say?

Anonymous

This whole thread is too subjective to be in any way useful; if you live in Florida, your heating/AC thermostat settings are going to be entirely different to someone living in Minnesota. Additionally, if live in a colder climate and you "run hot" (as I do), you are going to want a completely different ambient temperature in your house than someone who feels the cold. And how well your home is insulated is bound to make a difference, too.
The bottom line is not to be uncomfortable in your home, but try a few things out. It is both wasteful and expensive to have an overheated home. Use timers effectively; if you/family are out working/at school all day, only heat the house in the morning and an hour before returning. If you have one, a wood burning stove or open fire is always a better option. Also, and without wanting anyone to be cold or unfomfortable, is it reasonable to expect to just wear shorts and a t shirt in winter - even indoors? Stick on a light sweater. Lower your thermostat a little.

On a personal note - and without medical training - it is my experience that people who live in excessively heated/cooled houses are more susceptible to colds, influenza and related illnesses.
CB

Anonymous

Let's keep it very simple.... I respect everyone's thoughts. The level of comfort one finds at a particular temperature , at a particular time of the year is very simply, a personal matter. No one is right, wrong, crazy, ridiculous, nuts, etc.. Saying so is just rude. Personally, I am comfortable at about 70 in the summer and 78 in winter). Thanks.

cantcallit2015

i am a 30 yr old male live in ky moved into the same apartment living in 12 yrs in march i live upstairs just some advice for new bach... Or couples moving into a one bedroom apt through years learned alot i have one of those big hospital heaters with digital tempature settings in living rom small kitchen and bathroom decent size bedroom aw i started out was 19 and in the winter if i was at home be laid back in shorts and a tee comfortable keep my heat on like 80 degrees well yrs passed got with my ex lived together and we had problems she was a bigger lady and i was smaller so naturally she got hotter easier then me so for those 2 yrs or so was a up and down battle wit the ac and heat but for last few years i allways wear socks @ home and some type of comfy pjs and my electric has dropped so much was running around 110.00 a month just for me but after new managment took over put new windows in and i live upstarirs neighbors downstairs keep theres so hot which heat rises last 2 yrs my unit has not moved from 70 degrees wether it is 5 degrees out or 95 degrees out my electric has dropped from 110.00 a month too no more than 60.00 a month which is a huge difference for me one bedroom happy with results i also use those energy saving bulbs in every socket and belive me if u use the right wattage not go over board that cuts your electric bill down too no matter what anybody tells u when i started using those seen small increase as well but too wrap this up it was long comment but may help someone starting out fresh etc in future peace!!

Anonymous (reply to cantcallit2015)

Can anyone figure out what cantcallit2015 is trying to say? Such a jumbled mess of random words. Just sad really.

funnymomiof7 (reply to Anonymous)

as oposed to what, what you have to say... as Anonymous, oh thats brave, ass whole! TI totaly grt it and agree cantcallit2015!

It is sad that you are being an asshole about his reply not being perfect... At least he took the time to post what he thought was helpful... Your the sad one.

he's a 30 year old male who lives in Kentucky. he's lived in the same apartment for quite a while now, in March it'll be 12 years. he lives upstairs...so, second floor apartment. he has some advice for new bachelors, or couples moving into a one bedroom apartment, some tips he's learned over the years.

he has one of those big hospital heaters. it has a digital temperature setting.

then he goes on to describe the apartment. it has a living room, a small kitchen, a bathroom, and a decent sized bedroom. he began living there when he was 19.

in the winter, when he's relaxing, he wears a comfortable t-shirt and shorts and keeps the heat on at 80 degrees.

we fast forward a couple of years. he met a girl (she is now his ex-girlfriend), she was a bigger lady, he was smaller. naturally, she got hotter far easier than he did. over about 2 years, they constantly battled it out over the AC and heat.

over the past few years, he has begun wearing socks and a type of comfortable pajamas while at home. presumably this was his solution to having to deal with the cold. because he no longer had the heat up so high, his electricity bill dropped substantially.

previously, his bill came in at around $110 a month. new management took over his apartment complex, and they installed new windows which presumably helped insulate his apartment. his downstairs neighbors keep their apartment hot, and because heat rises, it helps keep his apartment warm.

between the new windows and the downstairs neighbors, the temperature in his apartment does not move from 70 degrees, whether it's 5 degrees outside or 95 degrees outside. this has cut his electricity bill from $110 a month down to $60 a month, a huge difference for him with a one bedroom apartment. he's happy with the results.

he also uses energy saving bulbs in every socket. believe him, he asks of you, if you buy the right wattage bulbs, not too high, they're going to cut down on your electric bill. don't listen to people who tell you otherwise, he can personally vouch for the savings increases you will experience by using them.

he says his comment may have gone on for too long, it's time to wrap it up. but he hopes someone will find his comment of some use, whether they're starting out fresh or etc. in the future. peace!

That's awesome that you took the time to write that. Definitely made the original post easier to understand, too. I read it entirely.

What do you think is the most important health test for women?: