Wellness

ask: What's the ideal temperature of a home?

By Bargain Lover

Is there a general concensus about what the temperature of a house should be? I know that advice has been given about having a home too warm or too cold but am not sure what a healthy temperature is.

I like a very warm house in winter but don't like the attached bills!

We keep our programmable thermostat at 68 degrees F. We have kids but we're all healthy with no special needs. Honestly, I'd like it higher but I want to save on energy costs, be a bit more envioronmentally conscious and 68 degrees works well, as our house is newer and very well insulated.

Any opinions?

Anonymous

I am from Minnesota and here the temperature outside affects your inside temperature, no matter what insulation you have. It can be 100 degrees here and it can be -40 degrees. 60 degrees in -40 feels different than 60 degrees in the summer. Set your thermostat to what feels comfortable in a light sweater in the winter (a little below the freezing point) and your pajamas in the summer. Blankets are to put on when it is -40 and still have the same temperature. There is nothing I hate more than a house that is too cold in the summer.

Anonymous

I think 68 is the best for the summer and 75 for the winter

I didn't get it. why set the room temp in the summer is colder than that in the winter? is this the way the Americans waste the energy?

Anonymous

Ok.. There is a difference between being at home and camping. When you are camping you wear sweaters, more socks and blankets. When I'm at home, I'm not camping. I want to do normal things without thinking about being cold. If I want to wear a sweater and insulated pants I should consider living in a tent and not a house. If you're so close as to not be able to afford the heating bill then you are basically camping anyway. Set your temp to a comfortable temperature, which varies from 65 to 72. You should not be turning your thermostat up to get to the recommended lowest temperature of 68. Remember the ads that say turn your thermostat down to 68 in the winter. Well, if you need to turn yours up to get to that, you are living in a house that is just too cold.

Anonymous

I feel the numbers here are too warm... I have no heat and windows open in the winter, and in the warmer months (March-November) I keep the AC set to 60F, which is already uncomfortably warm to me, I dress 24/7 year round in T-shirt and Shorts even when I'm outside and it is below 32F outside.

It looks like you waste your energy in summer. Even in Alaska they have warmer summers than what you like.

Anonymous

Based on personal research & deductive reasoning -- taking into consideration metabolism, blood pressure, etc. -- I advice my patients to stay on the lower side and decrease it from there. To explain: if you currently do 70F, try 67F for the next month, then 65F, then 64F, then 63F. If you already do 63F, you can either stay there or you may want to check how you'd do at 60F and decide for yourself. That was for the cold season. As to the warm season, you do NOT want to be lower than 63F.

Anonymous

Ideal Temp: 70 - 72 F
Ideal Humid: 40 - 60 %

Donna Merrill

We keep our programmable thermostat at 68 degrees during winter days. But at night time, we lower it to 62. We have forced air heating and it gets too dry at night. I just like it cool and sleeping under warm blankets.
If I feel a chill during the day, I wear a down vest OR it is a warning that I'm sitting too long! Dressing warmer does make a difference not only in my bills, but also my health.
Thanks for bringing this up
Donna

Anonymous

Wow, all you guys are wimps...60 degrees in the Winter is warm enough, however, we have a gas fireplace that kicks out some serious heat & warms the greatroom area up to about 63-64 & the heat generates up the stairs as well. If it's too warm the air drys up & it's really uncomfortable. We just add a sweater/sweatpants when we're home. Much healthier...never get sick. Kids adjust...my Father kept our thermostat at mid-sixties too & that was in the sixties. We rarely got sick & he was an engineer so that was smart...wasn't it??

What do you think is the most important health test for women?: