Wellness

ask: What's the ideal temperature of a home?

By Bargain Lover

Is there a general concensus about what the temperature of a house should be? I know that advice has been given about having a home too warm or too cold but am not sure what a healthy temperature is.

I like a very warm house in winter but don't like the attached bills!

We keep our programmable thermostat at 68 degrees F. We have kids but we're all healthy with no special needs. Honestly, I'd like it higher but I want to save on energy costs, be a bit more envioronmentally conscious and 68 degrees works well, as our house is newer and very well insulated.

Any opinions?

Anonymous

Let's keep it very simple.... I respect everyone's thoughts. The level of comfort one finds at a particular temperature , at a particular time of the year is very simply, a personal matter. No one is right, wrong, crazy, ridiculous, nuts, etc.. Saying so is just rude. Personally, I am comfortable at about 70 in the summer and 78 in winter). Thanks.

cantcallit2015

i am a 30 yr old male live in ky moved into the same apartment living in 12 yrs in march i live upstairs just some advice for new bach... Or couples moving into a one bedroom apt through years learned alot i have one of those big hospital heaters with digital tempature settings in living rom small kitchen and bathroom decent size bedroom aw i started out was 19 and in the winter if i was at home be laid back in shorts and a tee comfortable keep my heat on like 80 degrees well yrs passed got with my ex lived together and we had problems she was a bigger lady and i was smaller so naturally she got hotter easier then me so for those 2 yrs or so was a up and down battle wit the ac and heat but for last few years i allways wear socks @ home and some type of comfy pjs and my electric has dropped so much was running around 110.00 a month just for me but after new managment took over put new windows in and i live upstarirs neighbors downstairs keep theres so hot which heat rises last 2 yrs my unit has not moved from 70 degrees wether it is 5 degrees out or 95 degrees out my electric has dropped from 110.00 a month too no more than 60.00 a month which is a huge difference for me one bedroom happy with results i also use those energy saving bulbs in every socket and belive me if u use the right wattage not go over board that cuts your electric bill down too no matter what anybody tells u when i started using those seen small increase as well but too wrap this up it was long comment but may help someone starting out fresh etc in future peace!!

Anonymous (reply to cantcallit2015)

Can anyone figure out what cantcallit2015 is trying to say? Such a jumbled mess of random words. Just sad really.

he's a 30 year old male who lives in Kentucky. he's lived in the same apartment for quite a while now, in March it'll be 12 years. he lives upstairs...so, second floor apartment. he has some advice for new bachelors, or couples moving into a one bedroom apartment, some tips he's learned over the years.

he has one of those big hospital heaters. it has a digital temperature setting.

then he goes on to describe the apartment. it has a living room, a small kitchen, a bathroom, and a decent sized bedroom. he began living there when he was 19.

in the winter, when he's relaxing, he wears a comfortable t-shirt and shorts and keeps the heat on at 80 degrees.

we fast forward a couple of years. he met a girl (she is now his ex-girlfriend), she was a bigger lady, he was smaller. naturally, she got hotter far easier than he did. over about 2 years, they constantly battled it out over the AC and heat.

over the past few years, he has begun wearing socks and a type of comfortable pajamas while at home. presumably this was his solution to having to deal with the cold. because he no longer had the heat up so high, his electricity bill dropped substantially.

previously, his bill came in at around $110 a month. new management took over his apartment complex, and they installed new windows which presumably helped insulate his apartment. his downstairs neighbors keep their apartment hot, and because heat rises, it helps keep his apartment warm.

between the new windows and the downstairs neighbors, the temperature in his apartment does not move from 70 degrees, whether it's 5 degrees outside or 95 degrees outside. this has cut his electricity bill from $110 a month down to $60 a month, a huge difference for him with a one bedroom apartment. he's happy with the results.

he also uses energy saving bulbs in every socket. believe him, he asks of you, if you buy the right wattage bulbs, not too high, they're going to cut down on your electric bill. don't listen to people who tell you otherwise, he can personally vouch for the savings increases you will experience by using them.

he says his comment may have gone on for too long, it's time to wrap it up. but he hopes someone will find his comment of some use, whether they're starting out fresh or etc. in the future. peace!

Anonymous

Heating the house is to keep the pipes from freezing. Our ground has three feet of snow on it. I have the temperature set at 45 Degrees F. We used to live in Seattle. Our thermostat was set at 55 degrees F We wore sweaters, visitors always complained and left their coats on.

Anonymous

I found this little ole post when searching for ideal temps for a home because everyone who comes to my home says its cold but I don't think it is.
I'm from the UK and we have the heating at 60f in winter and the heating isn't on at all in the summer, just have it set to heat the water, which, is set to be able to keep your hand under the running hot tap, I can never work out why people want to scold themselves and come out looking like a lobster or have put cold water into hot to get the temp right, if you have to do that the water temp is obviously set too high.

We never suffer from colds etc, I love being in a toasty bed while the air os cool. I do Tai Chi in the morning and believe me if you want to get warm try it, it's awesome.

Once you get used to a temp anything else becomes uncomfortable, I can't believe how hot people have their homes, its stifling, I also have to say that the "its cold brigade" no matter what the temp is set to seem to do nothing more than sit watching TV in a state of gelatinous semi sleep.

Anonymous

I am a tenant and the apartments were built in 2000. Apartments have good insulation. All units have free central heating which works nice. I normally keep my thermostat set at 90 in winter and 80 in summer. At set temperature 90 I have to put on heated blanket at nights. That's the way I am.

Anonymous

I live in a 2 story 4 room and my dad built his room took half our loft ,so okay technically 5 bedroom home .... I am22 and work live at home ect. This isn't a life story column but hey personal touches wouldn't hurt ... There are 6 people in my house including myself and my 1 tear old son.
Household wise we usually only use our heater from end of def to probably end of Feb, we keep It around 70°f usually its a little cold for me personally I'd want it at 74-75, yes I know too warm for most but I am anemic and my son is little so we freeze at 70° so I bare with it and throw on extra clothing on him he doesn't keep blankets on ...myself I usually wear shorts year round although cold I like to be comfy. So I have about 3-4 blankets n so does my son but he ends up with them wadded up at his feet or over his head (even in the summer) he likes it dark but I like to have light so TV is a must lol but anywho household 70°f me 74-77 is snugg and warm .... I live in Arizona I might add .. We don't have much for winter but I don't like the cold don't like the heat can tolerate sleeping colder in summer but not too much heat in nights ...all personally though ..the end ..
Thanks for reading my novel lmfao

Anonymous

We're at 64 most of the day and 60 at night. If I get cold I bake something and warm the house as well.

Anonymous

Wow, maybe there is something wrong with me cause i am at 70 degrees, and so cold i feel like wearing a coat in my house. I also have a humidifier in my room though which i think has made a big difference in making me feel cold.

What do you think is the most important health test for women?: