Wellness

ask: What's the ideal temperature of a home?

By Bargain Lover

Is there a general concensus about what the temperature of a house should be? I know that advice has been given about having a home too warm or too cold but am not sure what a healthy temperature is.

I like a very warm house in winter but don't like the attached bills!

We keep our programmable thermostat at 68 degrees F. We have kids but we're all healthy with no special needs. Honestly, I'd like it higher but I want to save on energy costs, be a bit more envioronmentally conscious and 68 degrees works well, as our house is newer and very well insulated.

Any opinions?

Anonymous

30 dagres fairenheight sumer
7000 dagres calciaus wintar
vary gud temp yes much godo
ac for sumer is ideale

Anonymous

I think 68 is the best for the summer and 75 for the winter

I didn't get it. why set the room temp in the summer is colder than that in the winter? is this the way the Americans waste the energy?

What I don't get is your improper grammar.

Anonymous

In the summer, I like anything around 70 degrees and lower. There is nothing like walking into a nice cool home after being out in the heat. One of my favorite things to do is turn on the A/C and take a nice cool nap when its 100+ degrees outside after a long day boating.

Luke

Anonymous

Ok.. There is a difference between being at home and camping. When you are camping you wear sweaters, more socks and blankets. When I'm at home, I'm not camping. I want to do normal things without thinking about being cold. If I want to wear a sweater and insulated pants I should consider living in a tent and not a house. If you're so close as to not be able to afford the heating bill then you are basically camping anyway. Set your temp to a comfortable temperature, which varies from 65 to 72. You should not be turning your thermostat up to get to the recommended lowest temperature of 68. Remember the ads that say turn your thermostat down to 68 in the winter. Well, if you need to turn yours up to get to that, you are living in a house that is just too cold.

Anonymous

I feel the numbers here are too warm... I have no heat and windows open in the winter, and in the warmer months (March-November) I keep the AC set to 60F, which is already uncomfortably warm to me, I dress 24/7 year round in T-shirt and Shorts even when I'm outside and it is below 32F outside.

Anonymous

Based on personal research & deductive reasoning -- taking into consideration metabolism, blood pressure, etc. -- I advice my patients to stay on the lower side and decrease it from there. To explain: if you currently do 70F, try 67F for the next month, then 65F, then 64F, then 63F. If you already do 63F, you can either stay there or you may want to check how you'd do at 60F and decide for yourself. That was for the cold season. As to the warm season, you do NOT want to be lower than 63F.

Anonymous

Ideal Temp: 70 - 72 F
Ideal Humid: 40 - 60 %

Donna Merrill

We keep our programmable thermostat at 68 degrees during winter days. But at night time, we lower it to 62. We have forced air heating and it gets too dry at night. I just like it cool and sleeping under warm blankets.
If I feel a chill during the day, I wear a down vest OR it is a warning that I'm sitting too long! Dressing warmer does make a difference not only in my bills, but also my health.
Thanks for bringing this up
Donna

What do you think is the most important health test for women?: