What's the ideal temperature of a home?

By Bargain Lover October 29, 2008 - 1:50pm

Is there a general concensus about what the temperature of a house should be? I know that advice has been given about having a home too warm or too cold but am not sure what a healthy temperature is.

I like a very warm house in winter but don't like the attached bills!

We keep our programmable thermostat at 68 degrees F. We have kids but we're all healthy with no special needs. Honestly, I'd like it higher but I want to save on energy costs, be a bit more envioronmentally conscious and 68 degrees works well, as our house is newer and very well insulated.

Any opinions?

Anonymous

If it is cold and dry inside, it is very difficult to maintain heat for comfort. Adding humidity to the air gives the heat something to hold on to and will last longer at lower temps. If you don't have a humidifier try pan of water in the oven set on the lowest temperature setting 150-170 degrees F.

This is why cooling is easier during the summer. It's the removal of the humidity that makes the air feel cooler, because as we perspire the evaporation is more effective.

Anonymous

I have read all your comments. 5 pages and not once has anyone taken into account the disabled who are not able to put on extra layers when cold and wait for assistance. They are inactive so not able to generate more body heat. They are inclined to be trying to save money by turning heating down as well as a conscious effort at conserving energy. Thats why so many end up in hospital with hypothermia.

Anonymous

I live in Southern California, Los Angeles to be exact and it seems like every summer it just gets hotter and hotter! We've had several 100*+ days this summer and even though Fall technically started this past week, this weekend was still very warm! 98 on Saturday and 100 Sunday. Around here the power company suggests to keep the thermostat at 78* for it to be cost effective, but that's crap because my bill was still sky high, in my opinion. Still, we listened for the most part the past three years or so, but this year my wife was pregnant during most of the summer and she was not content at 78*, so we went as low as 72 in order to keep her comfortable. We paid for it, but it's a small price to pay for her personal comfort. With that said, the lower temperature during the summer months only got us used to the house being that cool and now we can't seem to let it go higher than 74 without complaining.
In the winter there aren't many days that require central heat and when we do feel the need for a little extra warmth, we make babies.. ha just kidding. We have a couple of those small room heaters that work great! I couldn't tell you the exact temperature it gets indoors, but if I had to guess I'd say it's between 65 and 70, during Winter months.

Anonymous

I definitely believe that everyone can come to a consensus on what feels appropriate for a room temperature. I just think it truly depends on the time of day it is, and what kind of weather it is outside.

At night, most people are inclined to enjoy a cooler setting as opposed to a warmer one. A normal temperature for that would be around 67-69 degrees. And for the daytime 69-72.

If it is winter then your preferences may change because the overall temperature of your house goes down.

It's all subjective, but I've found that most people find comfort in the 68-70 range overall.
GT

Anonymous

What do thermal comfort Standards say?

Anonymous

This whole thread is too subjective to be in any way useful; if you live in Florida, your heating/AC thermostat settings are going to be entirely different to someone living in Minnesota. Additionally, if live in a colder climate and you "run hot" (as I do), you are going to want a completely different ambient temperature in your house than someone who feels the cold. And how well your home is insulated is bound to make a difference, too.
The bottom line is not to be uncomfortable in your home, but try a few things out. It is both wasteful and expensive to have an overheated home. Use timers effectively; if you/family are out working/at school all day, only heat the house in the morning and an hour before returning. If you have one, a wood burning stove or open fire is always a better option. Also, and without wanting anyone to be cold or unfomfortable, is it reasonable to expect to just wear shorts and a t shirt in winter - even indoors? Stick on a light sweater. Lower your thermostat a little.

On a personal note - and without medical training - it is my experience that people who live in excessively heated/cooled houses are more susceptible to colds, influenza and related illnesses.
CB

Anonymous

Let's keep it very simple.... I respect everyone's thoughts. The level of comfort one finds at a particular temperature , at a particular time of the year is very simply, a personal matter. No one is right, wrong, crazy, ridiculous, nuts, etc.. Saying so is just rude. Personally, I am comfortable at about 70 in the summer and 78 in winter). Thanks.

I think home temperature should vary with the season. In winter, the weather outside is cold and people are dressed warmly, so a much lower indoor temperature such as 62 feels warm enough. In summer when wearing light clothes, cold AC is absolutely miserable! Summer indoor temperatures should be between 80 and 86 degrees.

Anonymous

Heating the house is to keep the pipes from freezing. Our ground has three feet of snow on it. I have the temperature set at 45 Degrees F. We used to live in Seattle. Our thermostat was set at 55 degrees F We wore sweaters, visitors always complained and left their coats on.

Anonymous

I found this little ole post when searching for ideal temps for a home because everyone who comes to my home says its cold but I don't think it is.
I'm from the UK and we have the heating at 60f in winter and the heating isn't on at all in the summer, just have it set to heat the water, which, is set to be able to keep your hand under the running hot tap, I can never work out why people want to scold themselves and come out looking like a lobster or have put cold water into hot to get the temp right, if you have to do that the water temp is obviously set too high.

We never suffer from colds etc, I love being in a toasty bed while the air os cool. I do Tai Chi in the morning and believe me if you want to get warm try it, it's awesome.

Once you get used to a temp anything else becomes uncomfortable, I can't believe how hot people have their homes, its stifling, I also have to say that the "its cold brigade" no matter what the temp is set to seem to do nothing more than sit watching TV in a state of gelatinous semi sleep.

What do you think is the most important health test for women?: