Why am I so exhausted and unable to focus?

For the past few years, I haven't felt like myself. I used to do very well in school, have excellent memory, and just generally felt much sharper. Now I sleep about 10 hours a night, and I still end up needing a nap during the day to make it through. I can't seem to remember anything, and I have a hard time retaining information. I eat well and exercise, and I feel as if the problem may be hard to pinpoint.

Thanks for your post and welcome! 

I'm sorry you are feeling so exhausted. 

We won't be able to pin down the problem here but we can certainly give suggestions as to what the issue may be. 

Are you in any kind of physical pain?

Chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) is characterized by chronic, debilitating fatigue that lasts at least six months. The fatigue is not relieved by bed rest and is often made worse by physical or mental activity. It is accompanied by symptoms that are severe enough to impair or interfere with daily activities. People who have CFS perform at a significantly lower level compared to their activity prior to the onset of the illness.

Symptoms vary from person to person. They include:

• Unexplained, new onset, persistent fatigue that is not relieved with bed rest and often worsens with physical or mental activity
  • Muscle aches over six months
  • Joint pain without swelling or redness over six months
  • Headaches over six months
  • Trouble with short-term memory or concentration
  • Forgetfulness or confusion
  • Irritability, anxiety , panic attacks, mood swings, ordepression
  • Sore throat over six months
  • Tender lymph nodes over six months
  • Trouble sleeping or not feeling refreshed after sleep over six months
  • Prolonged fatigue lasting 24 hours or more after exercise
  • Visual disturbances: eyes sensitive to light, blurring, pain
  • Reduced activities (social, job-related, educational, and personal)
  • Dizziness, balance problems, or fainting
  • Brain fog
  • Chills and night sweats
  • Allergies or sensitivities to foods , chemicals, odors, medications, or noise
  • Irritable bowel

Anon, Fibromyagia may also be an issue with you.  You have not mentioned being in any pain though. While Chronic Fatigue patients do not always deal with pain, Fibro patients do. 

Read more about that here: 

Anon, you may also be suffering from depression. Do you feel depressed? Do you have any symptoms of this? 

You also may have a hormone deficiency.  I think you really need to see a doctor and have a full workup of your blood, checking for any kind of abnormalities or changes.  Talk to your doctor about this fatigue and lack of focus. 

Will you keep us updated, Anon?