Why am I spotting and not loosing any weight?

By Anonymous April 24, 2012 - 12:04pm

I have been on the pill since I was 20 (37 now) only stopping during the time that we planned and had our three kids. Over the last 8 wks I've completely changed my diet. Every day I eat only raw fruits, vegetables, nuts and seeds, along with 2 protein shakes and a salad with mixed veggies, olive oil and raw apple cider vinegar and some sort of fish or shrimp. My fish is always wild. I am wheat, gluten and dairy free. Interestingly enough, I lost an initial 8 lbs, then gained 2 back and have been stuck at that weight for 4 weeks now. I only mention all of this becuase 3 wks ago I started spotting two wks before my period. The spotting was dark red to a brownish color, moderate and I only needed a panty liner, but it was consistant. I then had my period which was lighter than normal and lasted 5 days. Two days later I started spotting again, but this time it was much lighter. My energy level is way down and my emotions are all over the place. In addition, my stomach feels bloated and I feel as if I'm going to start bleeding again at any moment. I do have a doc appointment and have already done a thorough lab test, but I'm driving myself crazy trying to figure out what's happening. I'm wondering if my thyroid is acting up or if I'm pregnant. Any ideas as to what's happening???

A drastic change in diet could affect your monthly cycle. Were the changes you made very drastic to how you had been eating?

You may not be losing weight due to the fact that you are eating plenty! Remember that some fish and certainly nuts have plenty of fat in them and that certain fruits are filled with sugar. It doesn't mean you have to change your healthy diet- it sounds great but if you are not putting the same amount of calories out, as you put in, you will plateau or even gain weight. Are you exercising?

With regard to all the spotting, there could be many reasons for this that you will have to talk to your doctor about. In our late 30s, our reproductive system makes some big changes. If you have never missed a pill, it's very unlikely you could be pregnant but this needs to be ruled out for sure. Also mention your dietary changes to your doc.

Good luck and please keep up posted!