Photo: Getty Images
Spring is almost upon us and you should take advantage of the warmer weather to kick start your fat loss and weight loss program. After a brutally cold winter for many of you, it's time for you to change up or restart your exercise program.
There’s something about the spring season that makes our hearts a little merrier. Take advantage of the extra adrenaline and push yourself a little harder during your workouts.
For those who get depressed during the winter months, spring can be a welcome relief. According to a WebMD Depression Health Center report, seasonal affective disorder, or SAD, is a type of depression that affects a person during the same season each year. If you get depressed in the winter but feel much better in spring and summer, you may have SAD.
The report goes on to state that anyone can get SAD, but it is more common in people who live in areas where winter days are very short or there are big changes in the amount of daylight in different seasons.
Even if SAD is not a problem for you, use the extra daylight and warm weather to your advantage to exercise and move more.
Here are some tips to jump start your exercise this spring season:
1. Get your doctor's clearance if you've been inactive for awhile.
2. Set realistic goals such as restarting your active lifestyle, burning body fat (losing inches) or losing 1-2 pounds a week.
3. Start today with a 20-minute walk. Do this walk every day, somewhere, at some point (the mall, at work or the park works). You can break it up into two 10-minute walks if you want.
4. Start today with your great meal plan full of nutritious, whole foods that you like!
5. Start today with your food journal and get your friend to be an accountability partner.
6. On Day 2, begin a 20-minute cardio routine or activity that you like such as biking, tennis, soccer, swimming or basketball. Do this cardio three days a week.
7. On Day 3, begin doing a 20-minute bodyweight strength exercise workout. You need to build muscle mass in order to burn fat and speed up your metabolism. Do your bodyweight exercise routine three days a week.