Need a boost? Skip the diet coke and vending machine, these foods can help give you the energy you need to keep going throughout the day.
* Carbohydrates - no, not a bag of sugar but whole grains such as whole-wheat bread, brown rice and low-sugar, high fiber cereals.
* Nuts high in protein and magnesium such as almonds, hazelnuts and cashews.
* Brazil nuts - they contain a high amount of selenium which is a natural mood booster.
* Lean meats - pork, lean beef, skinless chicken and turkey - they are high in protein as well as the amino acid tyrosine which boosts levels of dopamine and norephinephrine. These are brain chemicals that can help you feel more alert and focused.
* Salmon and leafy greens - the omega 3 fatty acids in fatty fish like salmon and folate in leafy greens help fight depression.
* Beans, fruits, whole grain breads and cereals - anything high in Fiber. Fiber is an energy stabilizer because of its slow digestion.
* Water and fresh fruit - both help you stay hydrated which is key to feeling energized. Dehydration leads to fatigue.
* Coffee and Tea and chocolate - Just not too much! Caffeine, the amino acid L-theanine in tea, and the stimulant in chocolate theobromine boosts energy and improves alertness, reaction time and memory.