Is 218 Cholesterol normal?

By September 23, 2014 - 4:20pm

I got my cholesterol results and they were a total of 218. Im 27 female 5'2 140 pounds. High cholesterols runs in my family on my dads side. Two years ago my number was 201. Now it's 218, my hdl is 95, ldl is 111 and my trig 58. The hdl ratio is 2.29 and ldl ratio is 1.17. If this is high how can i make it lower?

Thank you

My total cholesterol is 218.Hdl 40.LDL 123. Trig 273 is this dangerous or not please reply

Also I would like to add, two years ago it was a total of 201 but the JFK was 72 and LDL 116. So my hdl go up and my LDL came down a bit. Is it still matter that the total went high up because of the hdl?

HERWriter Guide (reply to Bathsheva)

Hi Bathsheva - You mentioned that you have risk factors in your family health history, and also shared that your total cholesterol has gone up. LDL, as you know is the "bad" cholesterol, while HDL is known as the "good" cholesterol. The results for these are going the right way, according to the numbers provided, and that's wonderful, but the total is increasing, and that's not good. See if this article from the Harvard Medical School Family Health Guide is helpful in exploring this further and applying the numbers to your personal situation. Making Sense of Cholesterol Tests -  http://www.health.harvard.edu/fhg/updates/update0205c.shtml

Let me know what you think - and I hope this helps you.

Thank you so much for the link and for your answer. I really appreciate it. Thank you for your time. I just have one more question, my doctor didn't say it was bad. Just said everything was normal. Is it because the hdl is high? Since that's higher than average does that mean the total 218 is not to worry about?

Hi Bathsheva, and thanks for your question!

According to the Mayo Clinic, as outlined in this article about high cholesterol written for the EmpowHER community, the following are general guidelines for cholesterol levels. It should be noted that these numbers are guidelines only.

Total Cholesterol Level
Less than 200 mg/dL Desirable
200–239 mg/dL Borderline high
240 mg/dL and higher High

LDL Cholesterol Level
Less than 100 mg/dL Optimal
100–129 mg/dL Near optimal/above optimal
130–159 mg/dL Borderline high
160–189 mg/dL High
190 mg/dL and higher Very high

HDL Cholesterol Level
Less than 40 mg/dL A major risk factor for heart disease
40–59 mg/dL The higher, the better
60 mg/dL and higher Considered protective against heart disease

According to these guidelines, your total cholesterol result of 218 is on the borderline high risk side.

High cholesterol is treated in many different ways. The one most recommended is adopting a healthy lifestyle, including not smoking, eating a healthy diet and incorporating exercise/activity.

Another way high cholesterol is managed is through medications such as statins to lower cholesterol levels, bile-acid-binding resins to help liver use, cholesterol absorption inhibitors to prevent absorption of cholesterol in the small intestines, and combinations of cholesterol absorption inhibitors and statins.

Since this runs in your family and is of concern to you, I suggest visiting our High Cholesterol Community where you will find many articles, videos and community comments to help you. This is one of my favorites, Lowering Cholesterol Levels While Still Eating Delicious Foods.

Does this help? As you explore this further perhaps you will also have some good tips you learn that you can share with others in the community.Thanks for your interest in taking care of your own good health!