Wellness

ask: ASTYM System - Has Anyone Had This Type of Treatment?

By angmares

I just had my first ASTYM treatment and it was pretty intense and painful, has anyone else had this type of treatment? If so, did it work for you?
Thanks,
Ang

Anonymous

I'm going to my first treatment tomorrow. Mortons neuroma kept me from walking for 2-1/2 hrs. had surgery but scarring and whatever pain is back. Able to walk. It toes cramped. Can only do partime work. 4 hrs a day the. Feet swollen and hurt. Also have hip bursitis that won't get better. Been a gymnast all my life. Very active. Now arthritis rheumatoid and osteo. Told cause I was active. How does being healthy and working out make you sick. Gonna try it. It took research for me to find the cause of foot pain. Took over 2 hrs for Drs to know or believe me. Any thoughts

Anonymous

I received this treatment back in 2007 or so for tennis elbow, from painting. It was mildly painful and left some bruising, but did the trick. I would recommend it.

Anonymous

I am an ASTYM certified Physical Therapist with 29 years of experience in physical therapy. I would like to respond to the commenters/patients who stated that the ASTYM treatment was very painful. The instruments used during the treatment are designed to stimulate tissue regeneration. As the instruments are used, the therapist can "feel" when they contact the dysfunctional and abnormal tissue with the appropriate amount of force to achieve the required result. However, if this amount of pressue is not tolerable, please let your ASTYM provider know so that they can adjust the treatment force. It may be that your therapist can lesson the pressure and still achieve enough contact with the dysfunctional tissue. If not, he or she can adjust your treament, using gentler treatment measures, until ASTYM is better tolerated. And again, although ASTYM treament is highly effective in treating a variety of chronic musculoskeletal disorders which have been recalcitrant to other interventions, no treatment is 100%, and for any treatment to be effective requires good communication by both parties. In general, ASTYM may be uncomfortable at times, since dysfunctional tissue is not normal. But overall, there should not be any significant, intolerable, or lasting/worsening pain beyond the second or third session-- even in the most chronic cases. Also, following any ASTYM session it is VERY important to drink plenty of water, perform your home stretches regularly and use heat or ice as advised by your treating therapist.
Warner Brock, PT, MBA, CMDT, CEAS
Owner, Lanier Therapy in Motion

Anonymous

Has anyone had this done for a Sciatica problem? Two years ago, my mother had lower back surgery which she now has two cages. It was supposed to help relieve all of her back pain, unfortunately it did not alleviate the sciatica pain. A friend told her about this and I am doing research for her.

Anonymous

If it hurts, that means it's working out the scar tissue that is bundled around your nerves, but it should become less painful the second and third times etc.
The sides of my legs felt like pins and needles at first treatment, but the second time was much nicer, and eventually started to feel like a massage.

Anonymous

I've had a number of different structural treatments - Rolfing, ART, ASTYM - for various connective tissue related issues. All were milding to very uncomfortable, sometimes being to the limit of what I could tolerate for the session. With the benefit of several years of history for self evaluation, I'm confident that my plantar, Achilles, and IT band issues would have NEVER improved without this type of treatment. The regime has pretty good staying power as well, but you do have to stay engaged, and do the work on your own also!! A foam roll, and a good stretching routine have allowed me to get the most out of the time/money/pain investment. We are going for another round on the most stubborn issue, a 20 year old chronic Achilles problem, and right now it 'seems' like even that is starting to improve, when NOTHING else has worked. I can also offer that my IT bands were some of the worst most of my PT's had ever seen, and I'm now within normal range of motion, something my PT and I both thought was a long shot when we started. It took a couple of rounds of treatment, and some diligent work in between, but having my chronic and severe bilateral patella pain subside has been well worth it. 55 year old Male endurance athlete.

Tooty

I have had 3 treatments of astym. No Pain during treatment. It has helped tremendosly. Have a pinched nerve in right neck and have pain in neck up back of head and down my back. I am looking forward to more treatments. I have had P.T., shots in my neck and head and NOTHING helped until I started treatements with astym.My therapist had taken training and I think that is why I had no pain during or after the treatments.

Anonymous

I don't know what you guys are talking about.....I just had my first session and I felt like I was getting a massage. It didn't hurt at all.

Border09 (reply to Anonymous)

I have my second treatment tomorrow for my knee replacement. The first treatment was more pain in a 15 minute period than I have ever experienced in my first 64 years of life. It felt like he was peeling the skin off my knee. I will say afterwards I enjoyed more movement in that knee since my surgery Oct 1st. I just am dreading tomorrow. The therapy room is large with about a 12 tables. I had people on each side for the 1st treatment. They do have rooms on the side where they put some people because their screaming was distracting. Too bad they cant give a pain shot. I dont understand why we have to endure the pain. I will continue as others have told me it gets better! What keeps me going is my resolve to get full use of my knee back. For three years i did every nonsurgical method offerred, then orthoscopic, then knee replacement. I have hurt for more than 3 years and it is exhausting.

Anonymous

I had astym therapy in 2008 for distal bicep tendinitis with good but not perfect results. The pain reoccurred this year and I'm repeating the therapy now. I think I'll continue the stretching exercises after the therapy sessions this time.
64 yr old male

What do you think is the most important health test for women?: