Can Implanon birth control cause dyspareunia(painful intercourse)?

By Anonymous November 30, 2011 - 11:23am

I am 23, I had my first and only child in 2008. About 6 months after I had him I got on birth control and have been on it ever since. I have been on Nuvaring, Low-estren, Depo shot, and in January of this year I got Implanon inserted in my arm. I have been dealing with painful intercourse pretty much since I have had my son, and am at my wits end! It has gotten a lot worse lately, and I have been to the doctor numerous times and they cannot find anything wrong or give me any answers. I know it is not vaginismus, to describe the pain, it feels like my tissues are just really sensitive and any friction irritates them for days, its very painful, burning, I do have some problems with not creating enough lubrication myself, but even when I use lubricant products it does not help, I also have a low sex drive. I never used to have these issues and I am not sure if it is caused from me having my son, or from the birth control. I am contemplating getting the implanon taken out just to see if this is what is causing the problem, but I just wanted to see if maybe anyone else was having this problem, or if I really need to have it taken out.

Anonymous

I had my first implant put in when I was 18 (8 years ago now). I had it in for 1 year and I bled the entire time, was absolutely horrendous and let's be honest, when you bleed that amount tampons and pads aren't cheap.

I'm now 26 and I've had it put in again as I was getting blood clots in my calves from the pill, that and I I got caught pregnant and miscarriaged twice (was unaware of the pregnancys and literally just went to do the doctor as there was a huge change in my period and obviously I got it checked out).
After the second miscarriage and finding lots of little bruises on my calves I came off the pill and went onto the implant after I gave my body some time to return to normal with no contraception what so ever. Me and my partner both thought it would be best and the doctors know about my previous experience on the implant and have agreed if I get any symptoms I had previously they would remove it straight away.
This time around I haven't bled at all just on my normal monthly week. It's been the same fairly heavy a bit more than before but I've had more cramps during rather than before or after like I used to when I was on the pill.
When it was first put in for first 2 weeks i cried at everything and got migraines then it just went. I have had pain during sex in the first 2/3 months where the best way to describe it was it kind felt like prodding a very bruise n the bruise was the entire of my insides and gave me cramps too, didn't help with my partners size either but pain during sex also went after a while, it hasn't effected my ability to get wet but I think that's because in the 5 years of being with my partner we have sex every week at least 2/3 times and it's not mechanical or straight to it. He knows to start the fire before prodding it (I've taught him well haha).

I think the reason it didn't work for me very well when I was 18 is because I was only 6 stone at the time, I'm also 5ft 9" so as you can imagine a tall lanky lass. I've always struggled with gaining weight it's just how I naturally am. But your hormones do change the older you get as well, they especially did with me as I'm at the prime age for kids but I don't want any yet, not until I'm married anyway.
My acne has cleared up slightly since being on it 2ND time around and I have gained weight, only 6 pounds but that is alot for me seeming so in the last 5 years or so I've been around 7stone bouncing a pound or two up and down from that weight, I'm now 8stone yay.

If your concerned about the implant you can always ask for a salva hormone test like I did. Takes about 2 weeks to get a result, but if you know what your hormones are you can make a better decision on what contraception will be best. That's what I did anyway after I let my body return to what it naturally should be and I tried a progesterone only pill for a month before having it in as in the past it turned out I could only have the combined pill.

Hope this helps anyone who reads it and helps them make the right choice for them. But please remember everyone is different when it comes to contraception it's just trail and error unfortunately.

Anonymous

Hey, I have been experiencing the same problem too even when trying to use the lubricant nothing seems to work just painful when it comes to intercourse.I guess it's the implanon becoz I started having the signs after I had it inserted.I was normal before and am planning for it to be removed.

Anonymous

Hey
I've had the implant twice now and after doing some research, found that the implant "tricks" your body into thinking you're pregnant, which not only effects your ovaries and whatnot, but also the organs responsible for producing estrogen, which aids in the lubrication process. I too have this issue and am looking to resolve it. I'm thinking maybe estrogen supplements? I don't know. I have had good protection with Nexplanon and the IUD hurt so bad. (Can't deal with the normal cramps and bleeding plus side effects of pill an whatnot). I can't help feeling like it's my only option. Hope this helped. Best of luck.

Anonymous

Hello everyone .
Reason I'm researching all this myself is because I've just had my implant removed after 3 n half years ( Yeah I know couldn't get a bloody appt for 6 months !!) . Do not feel stupid people !! This implant is the devil !! I have endometriosis so I just figured that was getting bad again hence why sex was so painful for all that time . I have had it out for literally about 2 weeks ago now and my God I feel so much better . I literally used to cry after an attempt at sex because I thought it was just my endometriosis and thought I'd never enjoy sex . But I am so bloody happy because 2 days in a row now I have had sex -completely pain free ! Which seemed impossible before . If I had sex then it would take days to recover from the pain ! But yes pain free , I am so much wetter it is an incredible difference . I thought I just wasn't a 'wet' or self lubricating person but I'm now sure it was the implant . Get rid of it ladies it's more trouble than its worth !!!

Anonymous

I got the nexplanon put in on 12/5/15, at first everything was great but around the second month I noticed I was having pain during intercourse and also I stopped having a period. The sex drive was high at first but once I started having pain it went down. During sex I couldn't get wet, so I tried lubricant but sex still hurt. So I just got my nexplanon removed 7/13/15. But I'm still scared sex will be painful, but hopefully getting it removed will help.

Anonymous

Hello I got the implant too and I have painful intercourse and I don't produce enough lubricant . I do think it's the birth control, because before I never had that problem.

Anonymous

I really hope this feed is still active as I've just found it and hope that it's the answer I've been looking for.

I'm 17 years old and have been with my boyfriend for almost a year. I hadn't had any sexual partners before I'd met him and didn't sleep with him for the first time until November last year (which would've been my first time). I'd got my implant in October/early November, and we'd decided before it that we'd wait until I'd gotten my implant before we'd have sex as I wasn't on any other form of contraception.

Since having sex for the first time, we've had sex no more than 10 times due to the pain being absolutely unbearable :-(. It's horrible; burning and stinging, during and after intercourse, with no explanation ?

I'd always expected my first time to be sore (after hearing my friends share their experiences, etc.), yet knew that the pain I was experiencing was more than just losing my virginity.

I also suffer from vulvodynia, which probably doesn't help, so have always assumed sex would've been sore, but I'd hate to think that it was my implant causing this pain, or adding to it.

We've tried so many different lubricants, different positions, etc. and I've visited my doctor so many times to try and get some help. The doctors I've seen have came up with 2 solutions: "keep having sex and the pain will go away eventually" (which is near enough impossible as it's too sore), or that the pain could be "in my head" :-(

I'm so sick of it, and although my boyfriend is so understanding and has never mentioned it being a problem, he must be sick of it too. It's not fair on either of us, we're both young and it's my first serious relationship and I'd hate this affecting it :-(

I'm hoping this is my solution. Any advice would be great? Thanks :-) - S x

Your pain is not in your head so if people feel like you're making stuff up, it's only because they don't have the answers.

When were you diagnosed with vulvodynia? Before of after the implant? If it was after, then remove the implant straight away to see if that helps.

Hey, thanks for the reply.

Yes, the fact they tell me it's in my head annoys me slightly, yet makes me doubt myself :-(

And nah, I was diagnosed with it when I was 14, although suffered with it a year before I went to the doctors. I've been told nonsense about that also; that it's in my head, and that I've to "breathe the pain out" ! I know they're doing their best but it's so infuriating after suffering for so long with no help or answers.

I've booked an appointment for next week to go and get it out. It's painful and the best of times and I've read a few other comments saying that they felt it was playing with their emotions hugely, which I feel also. It's probably best just to get it removed, and I'll also see about other forms of contraception.

I'm hoping to God that this is my answer ! Thanks x

I sympathize with you being told it must be in your head. Like any female would make up the fact that their genital pain was excruciating.

Let us know how you feel when you get your birth control removed how you feel.