Can Implanon birth control cause dyspareunia(painful intercourse)?

By Anonymous November 30, 2011 - 11:23am

I am 23, I had my first and only child in 2008. About 6 months after I had him I got on birth control and have been on it ever since. I have been on Nuvaring, Low-estren, Depo shot, and in January of this year I got Implanon inserted in my arm. I have been dealing with painful intercourse pretty much since I have had my son, and am at my wits end! It has gotten a lot worse lately, and I have been to the doctor numerous times and they cannot find anything wrong or give me any answers. I know it is not vaginismus, to describe the pain, it feels like my tissues are just really sensitive and any friction irritates them for days, its very painful, burning, I do have some problems with not creating enough lubrication myself, but even when I use lubricant products it does not help, I also have a low sex drive. I never used to have these issues and I am not sure if it is caused from me having my son, or from the birth control. I am contemplating getting the implanon taken out just to see if this is what is causing the problem, but I just wanted to see if maybe anyone else was having this problem, or if I really need to have it taken out.

Anonymous

Hello everyone .
Reason I'm researching all this myself is because I've just had my implant removed after 3 n half years ( Yeah I know couldn't get a bloody appt for 6 months !!) . Do not feel stupid people !! This implant is the devil !! I have endometriosis so I just figured that was getting bad again hence why sex was so painful for all that time . I have had it out for literally about 2 weeks ago now and my God I feel so much better . I literally used to cry after an attempt at sex because I thought it was just my endometriosis and thought I'd never enjoy sex . But I am so bloody happy because 2 days in a row now I have had sex -completely pain free ! Which seemed impossible before . If I had sex then it would take days to recover from the pain ! But yes pain free , I am so much wetter it is an incredible difference . I thought I just wasn't a 'wet' or self lubricating person but I'm now sure it was the implant . Get rid of it ladies it's more trouble than its worth !!!

Anonymous

I got the nexplanon put in on 12/5/15, at first everything was great but around the second month I noticed I was having pain during intercourse and also I stopped having a period. The sex drive was high at first but once I started having pain it went down. During sex I couldn't get wet, so I tried lubricant but sex still hurt. So I just got my nexplanon removed 7/13/15. But I'm still scared sex will be painful, but hopefully getting it removed will help.

Anonymous

Hello I got the implant too and I have painful intercourse and I don't produce enough lubricant . I do think it's the birth control, because before I never had that problem.

Anonymous

I really hope this feed is still active as I've just found it and hope that it's the answer I've been looking for.

I'm 17 years old and have been with my boyfriend for almost a year. I hadn't had any sexual partners before I'd met him and didn't sleep with him for the first time until November last year (which would've been my first time). I'd got my implant in October/early November, and we'd decided before it that we'd wait until I'd gotten my implant before we'd have sex as I wasn't on any other form of contraception.

Since having sex for the first time, we've had sex no more than 10 times due to the pain being absolutely unbearable :-(. It's horrible; burning and stinging, during and after intercourse, with no explanation ?

I'd always expected my first time to be sore (after hearing my friends share their experiences, etc.), yet knew that the pain I was experiencing was more than just losing my virginity.

I also suffer from vulvodynia, which probably doesn't help, so have always assumed sex would've been sore, but I'd hate to think that it was my implant causing this pain, or adding to it.

We've tried so many different lubricants, different positions, etc. and I've visited my doctor so many times to try and get some help. The doctors I've seen have came up with 2 solutions: "keep having sex and the pain will go away eventually" (which is near enough impossible as it's too sore), or that the pain could be "in my head" :-(

I'm so sick of it, and although my boyfriend is so understanding and has never mentioned it being a problem, he must be sick of it too. It's not fair on either of us, we're both young and it's my first serious relationship and I'd hate this affecting it :-(

I'm hoping this is my solution. Any advice would be great? Thanks :-) - S x

Your pain is not in your head so if people feel like you're making stuff up, it's only because they don't have the answers.

When were you diagnosed with vulvodynia? Before of after the implant? If it was after, then remove the implant straight away to see if that helps.

Hey, thanks for the reply.

Yes, the fact they tell me it's in my head annoys me slightly, yet makes me doubt myself :-(

And nah, I was diagnosed with it when I was 14, although suffered with it a year before I went to the doctors. I've been told nonsense about that also; that it's in my head, and that I've to "breathe the pain out" ! I know they're doing their best but it's so infuriating after suffering for so long with no help or answers.

I've booked an appointment for next week to go and get it out. It's painful and the best of times and I've read a few other comments saying that they felt it was playing with their emotions hugely, which I feel also. It's probably best just to get it removed, and I'll also see about other forms of contraception.

I'm hoping to God that this is my answer ! Thanks x

I sympathize with you being told it must be in your head. Like any female would make up the fact that their genital pain was excruciating.

Let us know how you feel when you get your birth control removed how you feel.

Anonymous

I got the nexplanon implant back in July of 2015 and only had 1 period in august but no bleeding at all since. I started noticing severe vaginal dryness in February 2016. Sexual intercourse has become extremely painful due to my inability to self lubricate. I am sure that this is a direct result of the implant as my husband and I have always had a great sex life through the birth of 3 children. I am going to have the nexplanon implant removed and I will post again to let other women know if changing birth control methods actually improves my current condition.

Hi there,

I had the implant removed over a year ago and nothing has improved. I'm sorry to say. I've been poked, prodded, scraped, probed, scanned. My Dr believes that a contributing factor is age and complacency. That actually, foreplay and romance is probably forgotten therefore sex is more routine/mechanical. She pointed out that sex for women is 80% mental emotion in comparison to men where it's 90% physical.

The result is that our bodies tense up and make sex difficult. I haven't explained or explored this to my husband as he firmly believes it to be my issue. I use lidocaine 2.5% internally to numb me completely and lubricate well - huge mood killer but as my Dr points out, men don't really give a fig about the mood anyway. It's not perfect but it works.

I don't think it's based on age and complacency. I am a normal 19 year old who has a fair amount of sex, and after I got the implanon put in my sex drive got way lower and around 4 months after getting the implant put in I noticed that my vagina cannot get very wet by itself, and also drys out a lot faster during sex. So I feel like its definitely a side effect of the birth control, not just age...