Wellness

ask: Cause of Lower Right Back Pain?

By Shana O'Connor

I have been experiencing pain in my back on the right-side only. It doesn't hurt to touch or when I'm walking or standing. It hurts the most sitting, especially as I am sitting down or as I am standing up. Has anyone else experienced this? After some initial research, I found that some possible causes are kidney infection, nerve damage, muscle strain, etc. But my symptoms just don't seem to fully line up with anything. I am afraid to try stretching it in case it is something internal. It seems like the only treatment for such pain is taking medicine to reduce the feeling of pain until it goes away. I am not a fan of pain meds so wondering what else I can do. Your help and suggestions would be great!

Anonymous

I think this good, as for me i wnt ballroom dancing and from there my back is paining wht is causing th pain? Pliz help

Maryann Gromisch RN Guide (reply to Anonymous)

It is possible that you may have strained your back or pulled a muscle during a dance move. You could also have osteoarthritis. A visit to your primary care physician and an MRI of the spine will be bring you closer to determining the cause of your back pain.

Anonymous

It is imperative to seek immediate professional treatment as this could a possible sign of something serious. Don't take any chances with your health.

Tamma Tony

Tips To Prevent Backpain:
1. Message therapy. This can induce endorphins, which helps relieve pain and promote relaxation.
2. Bending. Avoid bending awkwardly, and lift with your legs, not your back.
3. Shoes. Wear comfortable shoes, and for women wear heels only when you absolutely must.
4. A firm bed. Some back support is good, as is sleeping on your side to reduce the curvature in the spine.
5. Standing. Spread your weight evenly, and try to avoid slouching.
6. Sitting. Try to get up and move from time to time, and when you remain sitting try to rotate your pelvis and sit up straight.
7. Water. Since your body is mostly water, keeping hydrated will keep your muscles and joints from getting stiff.
More at -- http://tinyurl.com/d2nbsc6

Anonymous

I experienced the same thing. If you had a Kidney infection though you would know it and you are right, Susan, you need to go right to hospital. I get all my lower back pain info from one place (I'll put the link below) in terms of exercises and treatments. Like you, I do not like pain meds, so this is an effective alternative.

http://lowerrightbackpainhq.net/category/treatments/

Anonymous

well, i can tell you that It's usual cause to visit physician , I had back pain many times , my mother and grandfather also has pains in back i think its genetical with me , when back pain hits me usually exercises and stretches help me , at last time i found interesting resource about lower right back pain : http://lower-rightback-pain.com with some easy exercises,
well you can also search anywhere on video portals, there are lots of video tutorials ))

Anonymous

I had the exact same thing. I saw a chiropractor, pain doctor, and my main doc and the only thing that worked - stretching! The most helpful place I found for my stretches was www.lowerrightbackpainhq.net but there are lots of other videos on youtube. I also have crohn's disease so I am wondering if those two are related.

Shana O'Connor

Just to give you an update, I am no longer experiencing pain in my back. The pain went away after about 3 days. I have been able to continue running and am even getting ready to run my third marathon on Sunday, yikes! Just saying that makes me nervous.

I am working on my posture and hope after the marathon do invest in some yoga classes.

Thanks for the help Susan!

Susan Cody HERWriter Guide (reply to Shana O'Connor)

Hi Shana

I suspect you tapped a nerve somewhere and it got itself righted!

Good luck in your third marathon - wow! I can hardly run to catch a bus, I'm useless at it!

Shana O'Connor

Thank you for your feedback Susan! I hadn't thought about posture...which I will have to admit that mine is not the best. Plus, I am on the computer ALL DAY so I am constantly sitting. I think your suggestion to improve my posture may help, well it can only help :)

It is so strange though because it seems like it all of the sudden I had this shooting pain in my back and only on my right-side. It started two nights ago and is feeling a little better today. I even ran a good 8 miles last night and it didn't hurt during the run, but it killed when I sat down afterwards. Very strange.

What do you think is the most important health test for women?: