Wellness

ask: Has anyones vaginia have a different smell after there hysterectomy?

me 1123

I had a hysterectomy 4 years ago. Never thought it was a bad thing, I just think my doctor was horrible, and I have not been to a doctor since. My bladder never empties...unless....I move around to make it squish out. The odor everyone talks about on this site, I think this is what they are talking about, is like a bad sweaty smell but worse, and whatever this doctor did, my vagina is wider than after childbirth. It is like I have no wall. Just one big opening, and I have zero feeling down there...NONE. I expressed concerns to him, who has no vagina, and he said I was ok, and it was probably gas causing discomfort. He also said I didn't have tumors, and after my hysterectomy said I had two types....LOVE male doctors....make a girl feel wonderful, don't they? My biggest problem is how to get rid of the smell, make my bladder work, and get my feeling back with no insurance and no money...

Anonymous (reply to me 1123)

Yes, I personally identify and relate to what you are experiencing. And professionally, HERS has counseled a little over a million women, and I can tell you that your experience is all to common. There are some things that may help you cope with some of these issues. They are too complex to address on this forum. Please feel free to contact me at the HERS Foundation, www.hersfoundation.org. You can fill out the Contact form and you will receive free information via email, and you can request a telephone counseling appointment with me, Nora Coffey. Let them know that the fee is a financial hardship and it will be waived, no questions asked.

It is been extremely disappointing to find that female gynecologists often actually treat women worse than male gynecologists. This is especially concerning since 75% of gynecologists are women.

It may also be helpful to you to watch HERS video "Female Anatomy: the Functions of the Female Organs" at www.hersfoundation.org/anatomy.

Nora

Anonymous

My odor smells like death. It will be like
that abt a month, then stop a while. When it happens, its so embarrassung. Idk what to do. Its really bad after sex. Had hysterectomy 8 mths ago. I do not have weird discharge.
I wish I knew what it is..

Anonymous

Thanks for all the comments they really helped. And also, I learned some more things about my hysterectomy issues of been closed/sutured up alone with understanding the dry and wet times i go through sometime. Thanks!

Anonymous

It could be the vaginal mesh corroding inside fyi.

Anonymous

Simply because doctors doll out the same ineffective treatments to each woman seeking to address various benign (non-life threatening) conditions pre-hyst does does not make a hysterectomy necessary - it can and does only mean that the treatment was ineffective.
Ineffective treatments and hysterectomy are never in women's best interest or true health care and women should never think of their organs as diseased. A more woman-centered and life-affirming (health affirming) approaches is what is needed.

Anonymous

Great article and it makes senses. I was unaware that douching is allowed after a hysterectomy. I would like to say that some women must go thru this procedure (hysterectomy) because it's there only hope to a normal pain free life. Believe me when I say I would not have had this operation unless I was desperate. It was the hardest decision of my life considering I was only 32 when I had the procedure. Thankfully I had two children already. My uterus was diseased and my period was only causing me more pain and disease (endometriosis) therefore, some women do not have a choice to keep things "intact". I would have if everything was healthy. I hope people understand the emotional and physical pain women go thru before and after the procedure. It is a very traumatic event and will affect the individual’s well-being for the rest of their life.

Anonymous

norawcoffey's post is excellent. I highly recomment a visit to the non-profit site, hersfoundation.org
You have nothing to lose and everything to gain by doing so.
I love the comment "the sweet smell of an aroused vagina."
As previously noted, the uterine cervix/vagina secretions are important for lubrication, infection control, and the admininstration of hormones and other critical substances.
However, there is another function of these secretions that "the sweet smell of an aroused vagina" comment hints at: pheromones.
Turns out, the uterine cervix/vaginal secretions contain not just "the female scent," but, pheromones, too. Pheromones play an important role in not just how we view ourselves, but, in how the world views us. Such a loss is hard to define...harder still to articulate.
If there is one message that I could convey to women, it would be to place great value on these organs...remaining "intact" is far more important than most know.

I have read all these comments and find it very sad how many of them seem to blame the woman for having this surgery in the first place. I sought this site to find an answer to a very sensitive issue and I feel worse. I think many of you have lost sight that there are a great many women who MUST have a hysterectomy; it's a life or death surgery. I guess I could have died with my cancer, but instead chose surgery. Now, I would like help with coping with the after effects. Stop the "you should remain intact" speech...for most of us staying "intact" meant a death sentence. As I said, this is a sensitive subject, one I have not even discussed with my doctor because I've been confused and embarrassed thinking it was just my imagination. The emotional and psychological pain before and after this surgery in life long. So please be sensitive to those who really had no choice about this surgery.

Exactly! I'm sick to death of reading the "don't do it" speech. HELLO!! EVERYONE HERE HAS ALREADY HAD A HYSTERECTOMY. Who are they talking to? What is their goal? Who do those high horsed biddies think they are?? Shut your pie hole and gtfo if all your gonna do is say how unnecessary it is. I'm grateful and so happy to have had my hysterectomy.

What do you think is the most important health test for women?: