how can i becomenormalagain with out anxiety and fear

By February 1, 2010 - 11:36am

I have had inxiety problem for a long time,I don'tdrive far along I don't like to go to the stores along I don't work if I'm with someone I can do all these things but, not along I would love to get rid of this condition I'm tired of leaving like this.

Thank you for your story and comment Leslie. Agoraphobia is something I know all about as a child growing up with a Mother that was agoraphobic. As with any fear, getting help and trying your best to conquer your fears is the best medicine. Not only for yourself but for your family around you as well. Good luck!

Had my anxiety for a very long time, most of my life but learning how to cope and go in the right direction was very importoant to do all that I wanted to do. This is very treatable!!! You dont have to keep it where it is right now if you dont want to, it can get much better with some easy steps and a counselor who knows how to guide you properly. No reason to stay afraid like you are any longer. In no time at all you will do all that you want!! Good luck! Leslie ~ Charlotte, NC
ps everybody has anxiety from time to time...but some of us are just more sensitive to it. There is a much better way to do it and I hope you pick up the phone and call soon!!

I agree that cognitive behavioral therapy is a great idea for conditions like agoraphobia, particularly the Exposure Therapy aspect of it.

Just an option for anyone suffering through this, as I know how limiting it makes life.

I did get over my agoraphobia but it wasnt always easy. BUT the good news is...YOU can!!! Practice. Practice. Practice. Going into your fear zones. Ya gotta do it. I know its hard but you can do this! It does help if you have a good counselor w/you so please try to find one in your area by calling your local health and human services office in the area where you live. If you can NOT get there....please request a social worker come to your house to evaluate you and then that social worker can set you up with your needs and services in your area to help you. Best of luck to you!! This can pass....promise! Leslie Charlotte, NC

Hi, Mpesare,

Living with anxiety and panic attacks is, indeed, tough sometimes. I also have an anxiety disorder and I competely understand what you mean when you say "when you least expect it, BAM, panic, anxiety." This is absolutely true.

However, I think it's so very very important that you have learned to control the fear and bring down the anxiety. That's a great big tool you have right there in your desire to live normally. I too have gotten pretty good at "talking myself down" when I'm having an anxious day.

What kind of treatment have you had for the agoraphobia? Are you on medication daily? Do you see a therapist or counselor (for talk therapy) as well as a doctor or psychiatrist for your medication?

Are you able to walk outside your home, say around the block, by yourself?

Would you be able to drive around the block by yourself?

What do you feel would help you the most?
1. A counselor?
2. a few great web sites we could find for you?
3. A book about getting over agoraphobia?

What is the basis for your anxiety attacks? Is there any pattern to when they happen?

Please let us know some more info. We would love to help in any way we can.

I've had agoraphobia, anxiety and panic attacks for 28 years. They go, but always come back for no reason.I've learned to control the fear and bring down the anxiety,soon it disappears. It took me years to learn this and believe I can control it. I still need medication, but it's very seldom I take it. I have conquered the fears. I don't think it will ever go away and stay away. I know people say it will, but when you least expect it ,BAM, panic, anxiety.

I meant alone, sorry

HERWriter Guide (reply to mpesare)

Dear mpesare :

Thanks so much for contacting us and I'm sorry you're living with such a difficult condition.

While we cannot and do not diagnose here on Empowher, you may be suffering from a panic or anxiety disorder that is not yet diagnosed.

Empowher describes General Anxiety Disorder (GAD) as "causing chronic, exaggerated worrying and anxiety about everyday life. Everyone worries at times, but people with GAD can never relax and usually anticipate the worst. The intensity and pervasiveness of their worry interferes with normal functioning at school, work, and in their relationships. The worrying is often not related to anything in particular. Instead, each day provokes tension and anxiety.

People with GAD often worry excessively about health, family, work, or money. The worry is so severe that it interferes with their ability to live their lives. The anxiety can also progress to the point where people "worry about worrying." GAD usually starts in childhood or adolescence, but can also start in early adulthood. It is not unusual for GAD to start after age 20."
You can read all about GAD here : http://www.empowher.com/media/reference/generalized-anxiety-disorder-gad

We also have an extensive Panic Disorder page. We describe Panic Disorder as "a type of anxiety disorder characterized by recurrent and unpredictable bursts of terror known as panic attacks. A panic attack is accompanied by physical symptoms that may feel similar to a heart attack or other life-threatening condition.

Intense anxiety often develops between episodes of panic. As panic attacks become more frequent, people begin avoiding situations that could trigger them. Panic attacks can lead to agoraphobia , which is the fear of unknown places.

Please check into our Panic Disorder page here : http://www.empowher.com/media/reference/panic-disorder#definition

I think it's a great idea for you to see a health care professional and see what he or she thinks. These kinds of disorders are very common and you are right, they can completely take over you life and make it miserable.

Will you let me know what you think of the information I've given you. Can you also let us know if there are factors in your work, relationships or environment that you think may be affecting your mind and stress levels?