Wellness

Hi, There is something really important and personal I want to ask you if you don't mind me asking. I'm 29 years old and I have a medical problem called hypoglycemia. There is a holiday coming up called Yom Kippur and I know this year Yom Kippur is on September 13 Friday and every year because of this holiday I usually have to make sure I'm feeling okay few days before the holiday. I know Yom Kippur is early this year and it's at the beginning of September. The timing of this holiday the weather is usually cold though. Generally I'm a very dehydrated person and having hypoglycemia is worse for me throughout the summer weather. At night time I usually have to have a cup of water or juice before I go to sleep and my atmosphere should be cold or else I'd be sweating.

Throughout the hot weather dehydration is worse for me. My worry and concern is since Yom Kippur is early this year the weather would still be hot and since I can't have anything to drink because of the holiday I'm afraid something happen. I was told from my doctor that I should really becareful to stay cool and hydrated. When I'm dehydrated I start sweating, get heart palpitations and if I don't have anything to eat or drink I start shaking.
I was thinking to tell my doctor that I go to emergency room day before the holiday and ask that they can give me an IV and I just use it at night time during the night of the holiday before I go to sleep. I want to know would you think this is the right thing that I can do? I even mentioned this to my Rabbi about this and as a Rabbi I know he will tell me which is right. It depends on the response the Rabbi gives me if there is exception. I want to know do you think having an IV sounds reasonable? When they give IV they give it by inserting it in the arm so I'm not having it by drinking anything. I thought this would be more reasonable. I really appreciate your response about this matter.

Thank You,
Melissa

Hi Melissa

This is up to you and a hospital whether they will allow it or not. ER's are for emergencies and you don't have an emergency.

I am not religious but I do know that the vast majority of religions allow for medical exceptions to their rules and expectations so if you have a medical condition that requires extra hydration, I'm sure this will be allowed. People have babies, heart attacks, accidents and emergencies on religious holidays and I don't think most people ignore these issues and risk death due to a religious holiday - certainly not in the US.

This is a combined religious/medical question that we cannot answer for you here. Talk to your doctor and religious consultant about this.

Melissa6666 (reply to Susan Cody)

Hi, Thank you for your reply. I know it's not an emergency but I thought maybe they are the only ones who give IV's not clinical doctors. Are primary physicians allowed to give IV's or are there any specific doctors for it rather than going to the emergency?

In my religion and for such holiday we can't have anything to eat or drink by law. A friend of mine during the holiday last year fainted and they still didn't give her anything to drink or eat. They just try to wait it out and they kept giving her cool towel on her face even though it wasn't much of a help. I have hypoglycemia and my case is different than my friend who fainted.

I'm waiting to hear from my Rabbi to see what he will tell me and I will go from there.

Which reminds me when you have an IV for a long period of time can it make you detoxified and make you hungry?

If I mentioned this to my primary physician do you think they are the ones able to give IV's?

Thank You,
Melissa

Susan Cody HERWriter Guide (reply to Melissa6666)

Hi Melissa

Regarding who will give you an IV - I have no idea; that is up to the clinic/hospital or doctor himself. Doctors can administer IVs but generally nurses do it.

An IV hydrates, it does not detoxify. It doesn't make you hungry, lack of food makes you hungry. Please refer your questions to a doctor as we can only throw out guesses here. I'm sorry we can't be of more help.

Melissa6666 (reply to Susan Cody)

I see okay. So far I'm waiting to hear from my Rabbi and I will call my primary physician and my local emergency room to know who will do such thing for me.

Thanks So Much,
Melissa

What do you think is the most important health test for women?: