Recovering steps in eating disorders

I have an eating disorder and I want to learn and be able to live the rest of my life without it and I need tools and help in healing myself. Plus I want to stop being afraid of food and I want to stop worrying about calories, fat and especially body image. I want this to be all over and I want to live a better and healthier and worry free life away from my eating disorder and ocd

Thank you for your post and for reaching out to EmpowHER. 

We understand the nature of eating disorders and how hard they are to live with, and recover from. The main thing is that you recognize that you have this disorder and want to make changes to live a healthy life. 

As I am sure you know, eating disorders are not diseases of the body, they are diseases of the mind that manifest themselves both physically and mentally. 

Eating disorders are one of the most dangerous of mental illnesses. 

Recovery isn't great when done alone. Are you in a position where you can get professional counseling? If so, you need to start this immediately so you are working alongside a professional who can help you. 

A support group can also help you but be careful of sharing too many stories without a counselor present. Too many people in recovery can slip back into old habits when left with others who are also in recovery. 

Working with a professional can stop the love hate relationship with food - the food obsessions and the constant focus on weight and calorie counting. It's really hard to do all this alone and it's not advisable. You need to work to learn your triggers so that under times of stress, you won't relapse. 

This will also address your attitudes towards your body image. 

It's also a good idea to work with with a nutritionist who can help you eat healthy food and begin a new relationship with food. 

Anon, eating disorders are addictive in nature. It's can be hard to break the cycle but with help, you can absolutely live a healthy life, free of those voices in your head that make you obsess about food and your weight. People go on to live very healthy and happy lives and break this cycle. 

Let me know what you think and please reach out to your family, friends and doctor as soon as possible.  You can and will do this!

Thank you for your suggestions and I completely like what you wrote about the support groups. It is so true, so true! When I tried a few support groups regarding my eating disorder I truly found myself getting worse and not better. I do see this woman for my eating disorder but not as much as I would like to and especially need. Sometimes it can be weeks before I see her. And these gaps don't help me. And when I do see her I want to talk more about my eating disoder and ocd but we seem to get off topic and we talk about other things that at the moment I am not interested in. I want to share with her exactly what goes on in my brain, I want to tell her my thoughts regarding my eating disorder, ocd, fat, calories, and especially how uncomfortable I feel in my own sking every time I eat. You mentioned family but family for me is out of the question.
I am having problems with family members. And my family lifestyle is not what I agree with now in the stage I am in. Please, is there anything else I can do for myself because I am so alone and isolated from society. All I have is my daughter but my child is way to young and I don't want her to follow in my steps , please please I truly need help and want to get better

Forgot to mention to my last comment
My name is

thank you for your comment once again
I hope to hear from you soon

Eating Disorders

Eating Disorders Guide