what are symtoms of lupus, is muscle cramps one?

my rhuematologist told me about a year ago that I may have lupus, but he said right now we'll just worry about the arthritis side of it. I have terrible muscle cramps all over my body, in my back like when I'm driving or laying flat. my arms and my hands cramp and draw up and especially excrutiating cramps in my legs at night, I don't even have to move, I start to feel my muscles quiver, you can even see it doing it then it starts to cramp and just won't let go, sometimes it is unbearable, are these symptoms of lupus?

Anonymous

What I have found about lupus and diet is that diet without preservatives almost totally reduces the quantity of symptoms. You could find out more here:

http://bit.ly/10JoAcO

Hope that helps someone.

Anonymous

Thank you. I do not feel crazy anymore. My hands curl up and have to be pulled out sometimes. The neurologist called it focal dystopia but did not relate it to my lupus.

Anonymous

I have been living with Lupus for 20 yrs. Muscle cramping & spasms are a symptom of Lupus. When inflammation occurs no part of your body is exempt from that. I am currently fighting my 2nd round of muscle spasms in the neck, calves, muscle twitching @ night and a low grade fever. All these are flare indicators. A bar of soap in your bed sheets at night with eliminate the leg cramps...trust me I didn't believe it either but it does get rid of them. My rheumy gives me a 7 day steroid treatment and its gone! Hope this helps.

Hi Lidia

Thanks for your post.

The problem with auto-immune conditions is that once you have one, you are more susceptible to other auto immune conditions.

Mouth discomfort, sores and even ulcers are symptoms of Lupus. Here are more symptoms:

■Swollen and/or painful joints
■Fever
■Skin rashes over areas exposed to sunlight (especially on the nose and cheeks)
■Extreme fatigue

Other symptoms may include:
■Hair loss
■Chest pain, coughing up blood, shortness of breath, difficulty breathing
■Kidney inflammation
■High blood pressure
■Anemia or other blood disorders
■Sensitivity to sunlight
■Raynaud's phenomenon
■Ulcers in nose or mouth
■Swollen glands
■Headaches
■Dizziness
■Seizures
■Stroke
■Inflamed heart, heart vessels, or membrane surrounding the heart
■Blood clots

I know these symptoms seem over-whelming but just remember that not everyone gets all these symptoms.

For more, click here: http://www.empowher.com/condition/lupus

Let me know what you think!
~Susan

Anonymous

Hello there

I have been suffering with swollen legs, ankles for over 3 years, and all the Dr's keep doing was giving me water pills and told me to watch my intake of salt.
I had gastric bypass 6 years ago and kept my weight off now for 6 yrs, and use to have small ankles, legs after a weight loss of over 130 lbs. and I was feeling great...4 years ago I had both knees replaced at same time, and my knees have been stiff ever since. I started having swollen calves, legs, ankles for the last 3 yrs and frustrated because for the last year I started having major leg, calf charlie horse like cramps that were so severe the pain lasted 30-45 min. of constant pain, crying, and praying for pain to stop. Went to 3 different Dr's and my Dr. from India said lets get some xrays, bloodwork etc to see what is going on...He confirmed a few days ago that I have beginning stages of Lupus, and I am taking medication now for that. The muscle cramps were even going up my leg, groin, and outer thigh and back of shoulders with extreme pain. I also had it where my mouth would burn inside no matter what I ate or drank, and my tongue was rough and red...other Dr's said it was thrush and also a lack of vitamin B-12..this lasted for months....what else can I expect to possibly happen with Lupus? Is any of this an effect of having Lupus?
Has anyone else had any other symptons and if so, what did you do about it? Please let me know your comments.
Thanks
Lidia

Hey I was curious. I have yet to be diagnosed with an illness despite the positive ANA and a negative ANA. BUT I had the same tongue symptoms that you describe here! Currently I am dealing with cramps in my arms and legs. Have you found anything that helps??

Thanks!

Hello anonymous! I have been living with lupus for over 40 years. I've been through more than I'd like to admit too! I too get the same cramps & Spasims, & have also been diagnosed with lupus type Neuropathy which affects mostly my hands & feet. I highly recommend you get tested for the Neuropathy! Lupus is a crazy disease & can be hard to live with & treat. As for what you can do yourself at home for the spasims is to make sure you drink plenty of water, & get yourself some Tonic Water (not to be confused with sparkling water!) Drink the tonic water throughout the day. A few swallows every hour. Make sure to avoid to much sodium! Get yourself some electrolytes which you can get in liquid form or in frozen pops. Also try to keep your muscles that cramp up warm as cramping happens more often when cold extremities are affected. Also get your vitamin D & B checked by your doctor as well as get your thyroid checked & get a bone density scan. It's also important to eat a very healthy clean diet & to get as much rest as possible as well as trying to keep daily life stress as low as possible! I hope you get the help you need! Be proactive & stay positive! I will keep you in my prayers!! Sincerely, CeCe <<< my nickname!

Anonymous

I too have debilitating leg cramps. Most often at night waking me up. When this happens it takes my breath away and I cannot move until the pain starts to wan. My face get flushed and looks like I am wearing a red 1/2 mask around my eyes and across my nose when I get hot or out in the sun. I get extremely short of breath and sweat profusely when I try to do anything. My legs and arms have lost strength and I have recently taken some bad falls. Finally yesterday, I went to a dermatologist who thought I might have Lupus. Had tests run and now waiting for results~
Jan

Hello
I understand what you are going through with the leg cramps, mine also mainly happen at nite. The last episode was so bad, that after the pain subsided, I felt dizzy, light headed, could not breathe, and starting passing out, with tightness in chest and pain. I went to ER and they thought at first that I was having a heart attack, after being in ER for over 3 hrs. they said my body was hyperventilating from the severe pain and I needed to calm down and take deep breaths....after many tests and an emergency bill on my part in the sum of $700.00, I was feeling frustrated, because they did not know why I was having debilitating leg cramps too. We all need to know more about this disease, its symptoms, and treatments etc.
I welcome your comments and reply.
Thankyou

Lidia

Thanks Jan.

I hope you don't have Lupus but if you do, there are many ways to treat the condition and you can get a lot more information about it here on EmpowHER, starting here: http://www.empowher.com/condition/lupus

Good luck with everything and we'd love an update when you get your results back.

~Susan

Lupus