Wellness

ask: why do i get fainting dizzy spells EVERYTIME i stand up?

everytime i stand up i get really dizzy and my vision is completely black and i have to hold on to something for like 30 seconds to preven myself from collapsing. i have already seen a cardiologist i was told to drink 0 caffiene and lots of salt it helped at first but its getting worrse now, worse then before i saw the cardiogist one of the newer symtoms that makes it worse then before is after it happens i get really hot and feel clamy and my heart beats really hard and fast any advice?

thanks, katelyn

Anonymous

I'm a teenager and this happens to me too, I went to the doctors around 3 months ago, but they dismissed me. it's hard to describe, but all I can say is; when you stand, you suddenly starts to feel weak, you head feels light, and your vision blurs. the whole series is quite draining. I've been looking this up, as I really want to know whats wrong, and I have searched many websites. they all say similar symptoms, but differnt diagnosises, it's very confusing. I've had many days off school, because of this and I want to know what is wrong with me! please, if anyone can help...

Anonymous

Went to dr like 6 weeks ago for head/scalp pain
went to er because thought it was anyuresm. They did ct scan said it was normal. Went back to dr 3 weeks ago said its anxiety and panick. Im freaking out at this point. Was fine for a week then started back up and ears ringing got worse. I went to ent who said I have severe tmj. Then went and had wyes checked and they dialated them and said I was fine.
Went back to er for this weird head pain. They said maybe sinus because they could not do ct again.
I followed up with nuero today who said eeg was normal and that it sounds like occipital nueralgia and says I can get it treated and also said they want mri of cervical spine. I told her im still worried about anuyerm but she assured me I was fine. Here I am after a beer ears ringing loud and I feel unsteady. She said she thinks neck is injured.

Hi! Just thought I wld comment on this because my sister & I was just talking about this. She has some kind of inner ear problem. I think it's called vertigo or Ménière's disease. Anyway, she was telling me about several episodes she had where her ears wld ring bad, have anxiety bad, & headaches. So jus thought I wld share. Hope it helps.
God Bless You!

Anonymous

I'm the same way too I'm 11 please HELP this is scary

Anonymous

I have been experiencing the same things and I get headaches too I hope it isn't serious,

Anonymous

Hey, katelyn! I'm in eighth grade right now, and I've been experiencing the same stuff as you. I was wondering if you had a transient ischemic attack. When I was at a friends birthday party, I was standing up and I got really dizzy(this had never happened before), so I decided I would sit down for a few minutes until it went away, but I ended up having multiple black outs and for extended periods of time. Since then, I've had these dizzy spells whenever I stand up. I haven't seen a doctor yet, but according to the Internet, it's tracycardia. Can you help me out a bit?

Anonymous

I have been getting dizziness and faint spells while standing and sitting. It hass happen twice in the last week.i do have low blood pressure but I have had that since I was a young boy.i only remember this happening once in my life. Im 51 now

jennarnott

It may also be that you need electrolytes in addition to just plain water. There are a lot of sources of electrolytes these days from Pedialyte and Lifewater to Gatorade and Powerade. In some people with lower blood pressure, they need to increase their sodium intake. Talk to the doctors!
It also seems that more and more young adults are getting this after having the shot Gardasil. Please advise your doctor if you have had this series of shots, especially since you have moved and he/she may not have your complete medical history in hand.

fitzerella

I had the same problem growing up/still suffer from it. The Doctor diagnosed me with Neuro cardiogenic syncope. There's lots of info on the web about it but basically it was explained to me that when you change your supine position, your vagus nerve in your heart is supposed to kick in the drive your blood pressure up to account for the change in position. My vagus nerve doesn't work as well as it should, resulting in mini-fainting spells. Blacking out, weakness, sometimes feeling ill afterwards.

My doctor told me I could take sudafed once a day, or increase my salt intake. I found the more active I stayed, the better it got, but it has never fully gone away. Getting enough sleep is important as well, I always get more dizzy spells when I'm tired. The condition isn't life-threatening which is nice, but it's still annoying. I Hope some of this info helps you!

Diane Porter

Katelyn,

I'm sure your doctor told you that you have borderline low blood pressure. Children and teens, especially athletes, generally have lower blood pressure than adults, but yours is still a bit low. It's certainly something your doctor will consider.

Sometimes people feel lightheaded or dizzy when they have low blood pressure and they stand quickly, which means blood doesn't get to the head quickly enough. Have you tried standing slowly? (I am betting you have.)

Here's a good page about low blood pressure:

http://www.medicinenet.com/low_blood_pressure/article.htm

This is on page three of that article:

"Going from a sitting or lying position to a standing position often brings out symptoms of low blood pressure. This occurs because sitting causes blood to "settle" in the veins of the lower body, and this can lower the blood pressure. If the blood pressure is already low, standing can make the low pressure worse, to the point of causing symptoms. The development of lightheadedness, dizziness, or fainting upon standing caused by low blood pressure is called orthostatic hypotension. Normal individuals are able to compensate rapidly for the low pressure created by standing with the responses discussed previously and do not develop orthostatic hypotension."

When you met with your cardiologist, was he or she concerned with your blood pressure?

And here's the Mayo Clinic's page on low blood pressure:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/low-blood-pressure/ds00590

(Be sure to check out the blue links down the left side that will take you to pages like Symptoms, Causes, Tests and Diagnoses.)

I'm glad you're moving soon. Maybe ask your mom to make an appointment for you for after you're settled?

What do you think is the most important health test for women?: