Since postpartum depression is aggravated by stress, life stressors should be kept to a minimum after delivery. The following may help prevent postpartum depression:
- Childbirth education classes
- Realistic expectations about the postpartum experience
- Help with childcare and household chores
- Sufficient rest
- Some women feel better when the number of visitors is limited; others feel isolated without company, and notice that they feel better when they have other people around
- Support to allow yourself some enjoyable personal time (for example, going for a walk)
Please be aware that this information is provided to supplement the care provided by your physician. It is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. CALL YOUR HEALTHCARE PROVIDER IMMEDIATELY IF YOU THINK YOU MAY HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Copyright © 2017 EBSCO Publishing All rights reserved.