When it comes to burning calories, I definitely want the biggest bang for my buck, but if it isn’t something that I like to do, chances are, I won’t be disciplined in doing it. I have researched many sources to come up with things that I like to do and will burn 100 calories. Here is a list of my favorites.
1. Lift weights for 33 minutes. For arm exercises, I keep the reps between 12 and 15 and I do each exercise 3 times. I also work in lunges and squats with hand weights for my lower body. Hey, it’s a good thing when I can watch an episode of “The Office” and burn calories. (Did you know that by laughing, you are burning even more calories?) So put down your cocktail or snack and work while you watch.
2. Put on some of your favorite music and dance for 21 minutes (That is 5 to 7 songs depending on their length). I love this because my kids have a great time dancing around with me. There are plenty of opportunities to throw in “high knees” or “jumping jacks” to bring your heart rate up when the song picks up (Check out Susan Cody’s list of songs in “America’s Top 20! Songs To Work Out To...That Is” on EmpowHer.com).
3. Pedal a stationary bike for 15 minutes. (And if you’re doing 15, why not do 30?) I love to read and use this time to exercise and get in another couple of chapters of my latest favorite. Time is limited so I like exercises that allow me to multi-task. I feel like I am doing something good for my body and treating myself to free time to enjoy my books.
4. Watch TV (While you are on the treadmill, of course). Watch your favorite show while you walk at a moderate pace. I increase the calories that I burn by doing sprints and running every couple of minutes.
5. Clean the house for 33 minutes. WAIT A SECOND! How did that get in there? That is not a favorite thing of mine to do. Still, it is a good reminder that when you have busy days, you are burning calories doing things that you don’t even think about.