Dissatisfied at work? Here are some tips to deal with job dissatisfaction in a rough economy from psychologists who specialize in the workplace.
Valerie Sessa, an industrial and organizational psychology associate professor at Montclair State University, said in an e-mail that for those who are mildly dissatisfied but still want to “stay in that line of work” and are not too stressed, she suggests taking on new assignments.
“I would recommend being on the look out in your work place for special assignments or committees or anything where you can learn related but new skills and be around new and different people,” Sessa said.
Here are some other options Sessa suggested for mildly dissatisfied employees:
1) “Consider going back to school.”
2) “Change your career within your company.”
3) “Compare your current job skills with the job skills needed in a more desirable career and re-write your resume to reflect your skills rather than your jobs,” then apply within or outside your company.
5) “Don’t quit your job unless you have something solid (either another job or acceptance in a educational program).”
Here are some ways Sessa said employees can deal with anxiety, stress and depression associated with dissatisfaction when no other work options are available:
1) “You can try to target what is causing you stress in the first place.”
2) “You need to work hard and creatively to prove your worth to the organization.”
3) “Women are less likely to self-promote or negotiate than men. So self-promote! Also negotiate! Your male colleagues are.”
4) “Look for the silver lining (think of all the new activities you will be able to put on your resume).”
5) “Turn your attention to the outside. Work is often only a small part of who you are. Where else in your life are you getting satisfaction? Enlarge that, even if you can only do it mentally. Take care of you wherever you can. Hobbies, working out, getting a massage, laughing with your children, etc.”
6) “Social support is key. If you are not getting enough support, see if your company has an employee assistance program. Use it.”