Searching for a salty snack to replace your regular potato chips? Well search no further! These little gems will win over even the pickiest of eaters - kids included - and can be flavored with just about any spice combination you can dream up.
I came across this recipe for crunchy roasted chickpeas ages ago, but kept forgetting to give it a try. If you are someone who loves hummus (like me) but are looking for some variety, this will do the trick.
Chickpeas (AKA garbanzo beans) pack a nutritional punch, which makes this snack even greater. They are high in fiber and protein, but are low on the glycemic index (meaning low in sugar), which will keep you feeling full and not spike your blood sugar. Chickpeas can also help to reduce LDL cholesterol levels, and provide a source of iron, magnesium, vitamin B6, and zinc.
Crunchy, Roasted Chickpeas
- 2 (15 oz) cans Chickpeas
- 2 tsp Olive Oil
- Pinch of Sea salt
- Preheat over to 400 degrees F.
- Drain liquid off chickpeas and rinse well using a colander or strainer.
- Spread chickpeas onto a clean kitchen towel and dry thoroughly.
- Pour chickpeas into a large bowl and toss with olive oil until coated.
- Put onto a cookie sheet and sprinkle with desired seasonings.
- Bake for 40-50 mins, until crispy. (They will get crunchier as they cool)
- Store in a ziplock bag. Best if eaten within 2 days.
Anything goes, but some great spices to try would be cumin, turmeric, cinnamon, chili powder, garlic powder, smoked paprika or even honey roasted! Have fun with it, and let me know if you come up with any good combos!
For more healthy recipes, check out my blog at: www.amandadiamond.com/blog/