Wellness

ask: did any get complications after laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy ?

my husband did laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy and suffer from numbness in the right thigh all the way to the front pelvis he can walk and urinate but he cant feel the skin its very difficult situation he does not feel any thing during sex and this is devastating please tell me is this temporary , and i wuld like to know did any get gastric leak after one month or later after the surgery and way?
thank you

Anonymous

My consultation with the surgeon went great and I'm actively pursuing the sleeve. Just have to get insurance approval - they do cover the procedure but, of course, can deny coverage so I'm just praying that they'll cover it. I'm more borderline than some patients and although I more than meet the doctor's guidelines for the surgery, I am at the exact minimum requirements for the insurance. So I'm holding my breath. For any of you who've already experienced this, there are a couple of things about the surgery itself that are creeping me out - the NG tube and the drainage tube. My doc puts an NG tube in during surgery and removes it only after a barium test looking for leaks is normal. Makes sense, but I've never had one before and am dreading not only having the thing but also having it removed - which is better than being awake while it's being placed, but YUK. I also know that I'll have a drain, but beyond that I know nothing about the drain - where it is, how long it stays in, whether you have to have stitches to close up the site whenever they do remove it. I would appreciate anyone's willingness to share his/her experience.

Alison Beaver (reply to Anonymous)

Dear anonymous,
I wanted to provide a suggestion, so that you may hear from other women who have had the NG tube. You may receive more responses if you post your own, original ASK question with a specific title (such as: NG tube and drainage tube: where is it, what is it, please share your experience from laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy). And then you can cut & paste your post above into your new ASK question.

Posting a question at the end of a long, somewhat-related topic may not result in as many personal experience responses as you may hope for. Women who have experience with NG tubes and drainage tubes will be able to locate your question, and respond, easier if you begin a separate question/thread/discussion. Let me know if I can help!

Anonymous

I'm getting ready to go for a consultation regarding sleeve gastrectomy next week. Not having met with the doc yet, one of the many things I'm wondering regards weakness; if you're only on a liquid diet for a while, then pureed food, and then on a diet of almost nothing volume-wise, do you who have had this surgery ever feel weak? I'm having a hard time understanding how even the healthiest diet at such minimal volume, especially void of carbs, can provide sufficient energy to function (and especially to go back to work)? Thanks for the benefit of your experience.

Well, I guess I didn't feel terribly energetic but I was in the hospital for 5 days after so I had an IV then and the week on liquid diet was recouping from the whole thing so it wasnt terribly noticeable but the next couple weeks, portions are super small and you feel full even after a bite or 2 so I concentrated on protein and couldnt really get much more in. I'm already pretty active so after that there really wasnt any noticeable lack of energy from food because I was running on all the energy from the weight coming off. I went back to work 4 weeks post-op, I have a sedentary job so no big deal but I still wasnt feeling any more drained than usual. I have gained LOADS of energy having lost 85 lbs now after 11 mos...for me, it was a positive life changer. Good luck! If you have any questions, I am happy to answer them.

Anonymous

I'm the ANON who wrote back in October and I agree that unless you have serious health issues, surgery should not be a 1st option. I was almost 300 lbs but in fairly good health - I had episodic hypertension but not much else other than being at an uncomfortably unhealthy weight. I am now 6 months post-surgery and 65 lbs lighter, close to halfway there and have had no complications by the grace of God. I've never thrown up, only issue is low iron but not anemia, I will find out in a few weeks if that issue has been resolved with supplements but other than that I have been very lucky. I can only speak for myself but this was absolutely the right decision for me having weighed (pardon the pun :) my options for a year and a half. I have however known several people who have had other procedures and complications, however, I know no one else who has had the sleeve with any complications. I cannot say my surgeon is world-renowned but that she was thorough and very honest about the significant risks and my chances for long-term success. It was not always a friendly chat, actually - I dont ever remember a friendly chat; she told me that if my lifestyle didnt change prior to the surgery, I would be wasting my time. She required me to lose weight before and basically live life very close to what I would be doing post-surgery (protein shakes, supplements, physical activity, etc) and I believe that helped immensely. I feel for those that have had an experience as described in the recent posts so I can only say I have been fortunate and never regretted the decision I made.

A friend just had the sleeve done on April 12th next day returned to surgery related to leaking. She went home on 22nd and on 24th was passing food/drink contents through an incision. She is was immediately readmitted and is facing tube feedings via her intestines and if she does not "heal" a complete gastrectomy. The surgeon is going to "give" her 4-6 weeks before making that decision. In the meantime she will go home at some point with home health to monitor her. My advice (I am a nurse) DON'T have the surgery. Vanity is not worth it!

FRA (reply to Anonymous)

I know this comment comes after two years of your friend´s surgery (I hope I can get an answer from you) but would like to know how the story ended, what happened to the leak? because I had this surgery 8 weeks ago and I have the same problems your friend faced, parenteral food, then that horrible tube in my nose, and I still don´t know how this thing will be solved, if with another surgery, or I still have to wait more weeks to see what will happen... or what. your answer will help me a lot! or any answer related to this problem

Diane Porter (reply to Anonymous)

Anon,

Thank you so much for adding your friend's story. I'm so sorry to hear about the experiences she's faced. I hope she heals properly and doesn't have any more complications.

Do you believe your friend had the surgery just for vanity reasons? Or is she obese or morbidly obese and could not lose the weight with other methods?

Anonymous (reply to Diane Porter)

I do not believe vanity was the driver for my friend as she has suffered from knee/hip pain, sleep apnea and other issues she is around 300 pounds.
Hospitalization #2 a drain tube was inserted to drain the abdominal fluidsa peg tube was place for tube feedings and a gastric stent was placed. 2 days later she was started on oral liquids. 2 days later she was ready to be discharged when she noticed tomato soup leaking into her abdominal drain. A STAT XRAY confirmed stent placement was correct and she was discharged.
Home health did an assessment today and realized she cannot handle her own care and has recommended placement in a long term care facility. This is the plan for today, May 4, 2010.

Diane Porter (reply to Anonymous)

Anon,

What a startling and sad story. I am so sorry for what your friend has been through and is going through.

I'm glad she has you, and I hope there are other friends or family members who can help be her support system. It sounds like she will need it in the days ahead. Please do keep us updated on her progress.

What do you think is the most important health test for women?: