Wellness

ask: did any get complications after laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy ?

my husband did laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy and suffer from numbness in the right thigh all the way to the front pelvis he can walk and urinate but he cant feel the skin its very difficult situation he does not feel any thing during sex and this is devastating please tell me is this temporary , and i wuld like to know did any get gastric leak after one month or later after the surgery and way?
thank you

Anonymous

Hi... I am planning to undergo sleeve surgery next month. I am 27, 5ft 3 in, weighing 215 lbs... I would like some feedback, PLEASE... Right after surgery, How was the pain???

I had my sleeve two weeks ago and had no pain at all. I can only say as long as you have a positive additude going in you will find it is well worth it. Good luck and enjoy your new great health.

Susan Cody HERWriter Guide (reply to Anonymous)

I hope some of our readers can give you some input here but since this thread has been inactive for a while, you may want to start your own ASK so that your question will be seen by more women and you'll have a better shot at gaining insight from their own experiences.

Thanks and best of luck next month - we'd love to hear an update from you!
~Susan

Anonymous

I have enjoyed reading what every one has wrote I am THINKING of doing the sleeve but I need to know the pro and cons I am at 250 and 5`7 and 41 years old. I need to lose 80-90 pounds. I have a hard time at work due to the type of job I am very active at work and kinda new there. I am not able to get into places to do my job I have to ask a co-worker to do for me I just cant fit in the tight spots. I have done diet and exercise and lost 30 pounds but put on 35. My niece had posted a picture with me in it and didn't realize I was that fat. I got depressed and gained another 5 pounds in couple of weeks. I want to do it but scared at same time. But also dont know if I want the sleeve or the ban

Anon - there are a lot of variables not mentioned in your post that you and a well-qualified surgeon should discuss. I have been posting on this particular post for about a year about my experience (100 lbs 15 mos later). I had no co-morbidities, etc but was 300 lbs 5'5" 50 BMI.
There are typically support group meetings monthly if not more frequently at the larger hospitals performing the procedures for you to learn more also.
That being said, I am always happy to answer any questions regarding my procedure (sleeve gastrectomy) because I have been fortunate enough to have had an ideal experience but there are other outcomes which you may have read above.
Good luck with whatever road you choose to better health!

Pat Elliott HERWriter Guide (reply to Anonymous)

Anon - As Alison said in her comment just before yours, posting a question at the end of a long topic may not result in as many personal experience responses as you may hope for. If you go go our home page you can use the "Ask" or "Share" feature to ask other women for information to assist you.

Anonymous

My consultation with the surgeon went great and I'm actively pursuing the sleeve. Just have to get insurance approval - they do cover the procedure but, of course, can deny coverage so I'm just praying that they'll cover it. I'm more borderline than some patients and although I more than meet the doctor's guidelines for the surgery, I am at the exact minimum requirements for the insurance. So I'm holding my breath. For any of you who've already experienced this, there are a couple of things about the surgery itself that are creeping me out - the NG tube and the drainage tube. My doc puts an NG tube in during surgery and removes it only after a barium test looking for leaks is normal. Makes sense, but I've never had one before and am dreading not only having the thing but also having it removed - which is better than being awake while it's being placed, but YUK. I also know that I'll have a drain, but beyond that I know nothing about the drain - where it is, how long it stays in, whether you have to have stitches to close up the site whenever they do remove it. I would appreciate anyone's willingness to share his/her experience.

Alison Beaver (reply to Anonymous)

Dear anonymous,
I wanted to provide a suggestion, so that you may hear from other women who have had the NG tube. You may receive more responses if you post your own, original ASK question with a specific title (such as: NG tube and drainage tube: where is it, what is it, please share your experience from laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy). And then you can cut & paste your post above into your new ASK question.

Posting a question at the end of a long, somewhat-related topic may not result in as many personal experience responses as you may hope for. Women who have experience with NG tubes and drainage tubes will be able to locate your question, and respond, easier if you begin a separate question/thread/discussion. Let me know if I can help!

Anonymous

I'm getting ready to go for a consultation regarding sleeve gastrectomy next week. Not having met with the doc yet, one of the many things I'm wondering regards weakness; if you're only on a liquid diet for a while, then pureed food, and then on a diet of almost nothing volume-wise, do you who have had this surgery ever feel weak? I'm having a hard time understanding how even the healthiest diet at such minimal volume, especially void of carbs, can provide sufficient energy to function (and especially to go back to work)? Thanks for the benefit of your experience.

Well, I guess I didn't feel terribly energetic but I was in the hospital for 5 days after so I had an IV then and the week on liquid diet was recouping from the whole thing so it wasnt terribly noticeable but the next couple weeks, portions are super small and you feel full even after a bite or 2 so I concentrated on protein and couldnt really get much more in. I'm already pretty active so after that there really wasnt any noticeable lack of energy from food because I was running on all the energy from the weight coming off. I went back to work 4 weeks post-op, I have a sedentary job so no big deal but I still wasnt feeling any more drained than usual. I have gained LOADS of energy having lost 85 lbs now after 11 mos...for me, it was a positive life changer. Good luck! If you have any questions, I am happy to answer them.

What do you think is the most important health test for women?: