Wellness

ask: did any get complications after laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy ?

my husband did laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy and suffer from numbness in the right thigh all the way to the front pelvis he can walk and urinate but he cant feel the skin its very difficult situation he does not feel any thing during sex and this is devastating please tell me is this temporary , and i wuld like to know did any get gastric leak after one month or later after the surgery and way?
thank you

Anonymous (reply to Diane Porter)

I do not believe vanity was the driver for my friend as she has suffered from knee/hip pain, sleep apnea and other issues she is around 300 pounds.
Hospitalization #2 a drain tube was inserted to drain the abdominal fluidsa peg tube was place for tube feedings and a gastric stent was placed. 2 days later she was started on oral liquids. 2 days later she was ready to be discharged when she noticed tomato soup leaking into her abdominal drain. A STAT XRAY confirmed stent placement was correct and she was discharged.
Home health did an assessment today and realized she cannot handle her own care and has recommended placement in a long term care facility. This is the plan for today, May 4, 2010.

Diane Porter (reply to Anonymous)

Anon,

What a startling and sad story. I am so sorry for what your friend has been through and is going through.

I'm glad she has you, and I hope there are other friends or family members who can help be her support system. It sounds like she will need it in the days ahead. Please do keep us updated on her progress.

Anonymous (reply to Diane Porter)

My friend has been in a LTC since May 5th. She is still leaking.
However, she is getting stronger and may go home next week. She does not feel she is ready as she cannot even see the drain (ostomy) and therefore cannot change it or take care of it. The surgeon indicated he "had" a home care facility that could help her. I believe this is a violation of the STARK law. Stay tuned, and thanks for your support.

Diane Porter (reply to Anonymous)

Anon,

Thanks so very much for your update. But I just don't understand; how is it ok with her surgeon that she is still leaking?

And you believe that the surgeon may have a financial interest in the facility he is referring her to?

Anonymous

33 lbs in 10 weeks ! OMG that is nothing! Surgery to lose 33 lbs in 10 weeks is ASSENINE . I'm glad you're well but surgery to lose such an inconsequential amount of weight over a long period of time makes zero sense to me. I lost 30 pounds in 4 weeks taking Isagenix ! Whole lot cheaper and a million times safer.

drumweaver (reply to Anonymous)

me too... i've lost 22 pounds with Isagenix including 5.5 inches off my waist... the easiest weight loss and the only weight loss i've ever been able to do... i am very thankful for this great system... thanks for sharing... weaver (((o)))

Anonymous

There is NOTHING Safe, quick or simple about surgery. I used to work ER before having my children , the hospital had a "bariatric surgery center of excellence". So many patients came in with pain and complications YEARS after their surgery. Everything from fistulas to wound infections to strictures and malnutrition. One month ago my sister had the sleeve gastrectomy surgery against my best advice . She was OK the first month , just totally unable to move her bowls . A month after no bowl movements she started vomiting feces, and has been dry heaving and vomitimg at least 3 times a day. She's depressed, anxious and feels horibly. I'm afraid she has developed gastric stenosis ( i.ie. your bowls shut down) , though at her follow up the doctor assured her she was just dehydrated. I bolused her with 2 bags of NS and she was finally able to go to the bathroom. The nausea is still horrible as is the newly developed GERD, I know she wishes she had listened to me.

My advice is to use surgery as it was intended as a life saving proceedure. It is NEVER safe, NEVER simple , and NEVER guaranteed . Doctors doing these proceedures on patients with NO comorbidities, like my siter are no better than a sleezy car salesmen . They are millionaires making money on charlatan surgeries, but YOU are the one who has to live with the consequences. My sister's surgeon is "world renowned", not a third world inexperienced surgeon. My advice is to diet and leave the surgery for when it is going to immediately and deffinitely save your life because there is absolutely NO guarantee the Gastric Surgery is going to improve it as there is no guarantee that a BMI of 39 ( the minimum BMI on which they'll do surgery) is going to negatively affect it.

Anonymous

I had sleeve gastrectomy at GW University Hospital in 2009 by Dr. Brody I lost 33 pounds in 10 weeks. Dr. Brody is an excellent surgeon I had no leaks or complications during or after surgery. I am most proud to have underwent this procedure. I would recommend all bariatric patients to get a sleeve if they are a candidate. It is safe quick and simple.

Anonymous

My husban had the laparoscopic Sleeve three weeks ago and he has no numbness, he did have the pain in his abdomen after the surgery but it has gone now. His issue is that he can't keep his food down. He will drink his milk or what ever and bring it up within 15 minutes.

Anonymous

Ok, I went to the surgeon for a follow-up last Friday and ironically the day after my last post, the pain completely disappeared. Not wanting to take a chance it would return as soon as I left the office or before my next appointment at the end of the year, I explained what was going on and the surgeon said it was from the disolvable stitches used to hold things during the surgery and that the initial ripping I felt was the disolving stitches weakening, possibly prematurely, as I went about my life. It is possible that the weakend stitch ripped a little and that the time I was in pain was it healing. The only other issues I have to address are maintaining protein intake daily and now returning to iron pills (I was slightly anemic before the surgery and hadn't yet began the iron again because crushing was an inconvienence - bought a purse-size crusher and ready to go again).

I feel absolutely great now - no more pain or swelling in the area and I've been bending like crazy since last week to make sure. I have to say, the diet is the most dramatic change in my life and one I desperately needed/welcome. I cannot tolerate carbs or carbonation (nor am I supposed to be drinking anything carbonated) and meat is still hard on my stomach but as long as I chew it very well, I can manage. There are very few restrictions otherwise: citrus, popcorn, corn and anything in a husk but other than that I could have one well-chewed bite of anything which doesnt leave me feeling deprived at all.

Everyone is different and has their own medical considerations but for me, the band and bypass were not procedures I felt comfortable with - it took me a year to decide on the sleeve and I have absolutely no regrets now 5 weeks post. I return to work next week and look forward to that new challenge.

Good luck to everyone!

What do you think is the most important health test for women?: