Bones & Joints

Bones & Joints Guide

ask: Question on Back Surgeries

I am an 82 year old male with two (2) prior back surgeries—the first laminectomy was in 2001 and a second laminectomy in 2006. Over the past several years, I have tried a number of different conservative measures such as massage therapy, physical therapy, acupuncture, epidural & cortisone injections as well as facet blocks. Consideration was given to laser surgery for a third laminectomy but three different neurosurgeons concurred it was too risky to have additional back surgery. The most recent attempt to reduce my pain was through a Spinal Cord Stimulator; however, it too was unsuccessful due to the amount of scar tissue. I have used a number of different pain medications. I am currently taking Percocet 10.325mg (3 times per day) and wear a Fentanyl pain patch (25 mcg).

While my general health is excellent, for the last 6 months or more I have been experiencing severe pain in both legs from the hip area to my ankles and occasionally into my feet, including my toes.

Any suggestions or recommendation for any new procedures, treatments and/or therapies would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Anonymous-

Thanks for your question and good for you for being so proactive in your own health. I see you've done many kinds of therapies including natural ones (acupuncture/massage therapy).

Can you tell us if your doctors have correlated your leg, foot and toe pain directly to your original spinal problems?

Do you know if the surgeries may have caused any of your more recent pain, rather than the spinal problems themselves?

Yes, the leg, foot and toe pain are directly related to the original spinal problem.
No, the recent pain is not worse post-operatively.

Susan Cody HERWriter Guide (reply to Anonymous)

Thank you for the update, Anon.

I'd like to submit your question to one of our experts. Being the weekend, it may be sometime next week (mid week or later) to receive a reply. Thanks for your patience and we'll work on this for you. Please check back next week for a reply.

Who do you trust for making healthy living/lifestyle choices? :