Bones & Joints

Bones & Joints Guide

ask: Ultrasound shows the tendons in both feet swollen, misshapen, split, torn. Dr thinks Physio I need advice.

By Crowsister

The Ultrasound Technicians and Dr at the hospital were very perturbed and had never seen this condition in feet. Mostly in hands, RSI? They made no suggestions re treatment, called it Synotendonitis? Synotensionitis? My Dr says this is in wrists and hands, not feet, where it is treated with Cortisone injections, rest, splints. He wants me to have physio - I can hardly walk, the pain is slicing sharp, I use a seat/walker so that I don't stumble and can sit. I also have Fibromyalgia. I feel very upset and don't want anyone to touch my feet they hurt too much. Going in to hospital unrelated issue for 4 - 6 weeks, so have time to think and find out what might be better. My feet both have large lumps on top from this, formerly misdiagnosed as Ganglions.

Crowsister

I saw a Rheumatologist when I was first diagnosed with Fibro - he was so brilliant, so good at explaining it to me. He told me that I had several Rheumatoid markers, but not enough to say I had RA. When I come out of hospital, I may ask to go back and see him again - he said when I left, that he would see me again when I needed him - and I just thanked him - maybe he could see that I was travelling down a certain path, perhaps?

No, I won't dismiss anything out of hand - but I am in such pain, and even the Ultrasound stirred up a lot of pain - so I just raged a bit, I guess - sorry!

Thanks for your help, both of you.

Pat Elliott HERWriter Guide

Hi Crowsister - It's nice to hear from you again, but I'm sorry to find you dealing with this situation and the pain. I was not able to find information about Synotendonitis, however I did find a condition that is primarily found in the hands/wrist but is also found in the feet - Tenosynovitis. The synovium is a lining of the protective sheath that covers tendons. Tenosynovitis is inflammation of this sheath. The cause of the inflammation may be unknown, or it may result from infection, injury, strain or overuse. Treatments involve reducing inflammation and resting, not going into physical therapy. Here are some references for you:

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/001242.htm

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/809777-overview

Let me know if this helps you out, I hope it does.
Take care,
Pat

Crowsister (reply to Pat Elliott)

Thank you so much for your prompt reply - it agrees much with my own feeling that exercise will not aid this - I will speak to the GPs in hospital about it, and take in the ultrasounds. I am in such pain, and feel so upset about being misdiagnosed with ganglions for over 4 years - and having had this pain for over 10 years - it just takes me so much to get doctors to pay attention to what is hurting me, and unfortunately this is because I have a mental illness, and they tend to think that also makes me a fool. Grrrrr! I think; from reading your links, that the tendons have torn and split because the swelling was not treated in the first place.
Cheers - and thanks again.

Cary Cook BSN RN (reply to Crowsister)

Hi Crowsister

I used to work with an orthopaedic spine surgeon who gave other doctors lectures on pain management. He always started his talk by saying, "Crazy people have pain, and pain can make people crazy." In other words never discount a person's complaints of pain based on any other issues they may have.

Sometimes going to physical therapy means massage and ultrasound and bracing treatments, not necessarily exercising the problem areas, so don't assume that is the plan. They may also teach you stretching exercises to help with the pain.

I have had similar issues from my rheumatoid arthritis. Tenosynovitis that was diagnosed at first as ganglions in my wrists. I know it is frustrating, but see what the physio people's treatment plan is before you dismiss it. You can always say no.

I'm also wondering if you are seeing a rheumatologist? If not, I suggest it. Good luck.

Who do you trust for making healthy living/lifestyle choices? :