What can cause chest pain across the chest both sides above the breasts

For close to a week now I have had this feeling of tightness , burning , constriction across my upper chest radiating into armpits . My shoulders are super sore and so are spots between my shoulder blades . I have gone to the hospital and had blood work an echo and X-ray of lungs and heart which everything looks fine . The pain is intermittent . Almost feels like I need to crack my back or my ribs are out , if that is possible . I was sick a month ago and had a bad lingering cough after . I am wondering if torn chest muscles would give these kinds of pain . I have a 140 pound dog which I have had to physically move off my bed a number of times lately . I am at a loss and scared . What the hell could this be ? I am 40 yrs old female , over weight and I smoke 8 cigs a day .

Thank you for your post and I'm sorry you're in so much pain.

Have you had your ribs checked for fractures? Excessive coughing can, believe it or not, cause rib fractures and the pain can radiate out through the upper body.

You certainly may have some kind of muscular/ligament pain from being ill and moving a 140 pound dog is like moving me and I'm 5'7" - that is not a good idea! Unless he is ill, you need to train Doggy to get off the bed himself.

A visit to a Chiropractor may also help. Check out sales and Groupon near you for heavily discounted visits (don't sign up for long term care until you know more) as chiropractic care may help. Extra weight that you are carrying does not help, as I am sure you know, so maybe slowly shedding a few pounds could help. Do what you can, I know it's not easy.

I really do think you should ask your doctor about possible fractures of the rib or torn muscles. You may even have just badly bruised your chest/rib area. That can be really painful. Physical therapy could help. I'm sorry we can't give you a definitive answer because more investigation needs to be done.