What could cause numbness in 2 fingers on my left hand?

By March 9, 2010 - 6:08pm

About a year ago I had the same numbness in my little finger and the one next to it on my left hand... it went away for several months but has been back for 4 months. I'm right handed but use my left hand when typing, etc. I have no tight jewelry or anything binding my wrist or fingers. The conditions is constant and affects certain tasks.

You also may find that the muscles in the shoulders are strained and inpacting the nerve path. A good massage therapist could be an answer.

The discussion was very helpful.I would just like to add that in women at an age group where osteoporosis occurs , the possibility of a growth in the arm pit region and the chest should be kept in mind. Secondly if Barb could us wiser on how imaging could be helpful in early diagnosis and treatment.I get this sort of numbness after pressure on the neck and shoulder.

You're welcome! This site is quite helpful and informative. Armed with such a wealth of medical information, I emailed my doctor this morning, asking about a possible change from Fosamax and relating the back pain symptoms... altho I said I don't, at this time, need an appointment.
Secondly, I spoke earlier of ordering "BackJoy" a seat made to improve posture and help relieve back problems... I've been using it on a trial basis for about 4 weeks and am impressed with the results. My posture is better! I still think the cost of $100+ is a bit steep, but in the long run, may be worth the investment! Also, I believe the seat may be too small for someone much heavier than myself.

Read this about Fosamax:

I forgot to mention that I have been taking Fosamax (and currently it's generic) for at least five years since I do have osteoporosis.
I get bone scans every five years.

(reply to Barbsplace)

You might want to read a post I wrote yesterday about the FDA reviewing Fosamax and other drugs like it (though experts caution that women already taking it should talk to their doctors before making any decisions):

(reply to Barbsplace)

Thank you for updating us, and I'm glad Diane's information was so helpful!

We would be very interested in hearing more about your inversion table, and if you find it helpful!

Thank you Diane, for such an excellent and thorough analysis of my numbness problem. I couldn't have asked for a more detailed, easy-to-understand explanation!! About fifteen years ago, my general doctor was an osteopath, but at that time, I was not concerned with back issues. Yet, he mentioned I had a herniated disc which "was not unusual for women my age"... that was the
last time I had any x-rays and have had only occasional bouts of back trouble. The current pain I'm in is worse than usual, but I
generally "bounce back" rather quickly, so I hesitate to see my doctor unless this condition lingers on. I believe you are 100% correct in your assessment, and I will follow your advice by telling my doctor about my symptoms at my next appointment which is coming up relatively soon. I recently purchased an inversion table, but haven't used it yet. Perhaps I can include it in PT... Again,
you have my heartfelt thanks and appreciation!!!

(reply to Barbsplace)

I'm so happy that I was able to help. I know how troubling that numbness can be. And while "women our age" (OMG!) may have a bit of wear and tear on our bones, we also plan to have another few decades of active life in us, so it's important to get these things handled well!!

Please come back and update us when you're feeling better or when you see your doctor and decide whether any treatment is needed. I look forward to the day when you are pain- and numbness-free.

Thanks again for writing,

#1 I'm a semi-retired illustrator... I spend time, mainly on the net, doing research and corresponding with friends. I type with my right hand but occasionally use my left hand when necessary. Nothing else repetitive comes to mind.
#2 No pain... just numbness and tingling... the same day and night. I do have a a "trigger finger" on my middle finger, right hand.
#3 Yes!! In fact I'm having a second episode of lower back pain right now... I thought both times were from working in our yard,
weeding, shoveling and digging.
Many thanks for responding!!