Why do I get hip pain at night?

Sometimes in the middle of the night I will get hip pain. I don't feel the pain during the day though. Why do I get hip pain at night? What causes this pain?

Hi Ali

We cannot say why you as an individual are getting hip pain at night - that can only be evaluated by a medical professional. 

However, some reasons may be:

Damage to the hip from an injury

Hip dysplasia - this is a misalignment of the hip that some can be born with (congenital) or can develop at any stage in life. 

Being over-weight

Lying in a position that puts too much pressure on your hip. 

Some ways to ease the pain would be to use a hot pack, sleep on your back or stomach so there is no pressure on the hip, and use an over-the-counter pain reliever. 

But to really know why you are having this pain, see a doctor. Physical therapy can be of great help. 

We have a very active thread about this exact topic and replies and suggestions are really interesting including possibilities like sugar and medications being the culprit. Have a read here: 

Ali, let us know what you think and do call your doctor!