Why do my knees crack?

Every once in a while my knees make a cracking sound. Is there something wrong? What could this be?

I'm in my forties and one of my knees actually crackles when I squat. It sounds like there is crinckly paper in it. At first it was very scary but there has never been any pain or swelling. I read on the web that it's not a problem.

Knees that crack on occasion are just fine. 

Our bodies are living, growing, breathing organisms that cough, sneeze, make rude sounds, creak and groan, and generally are noisy entities! 

Often our bones will crack like this due to inactivity - even if it's only a few minutes. Then more rigourous activity can cause a crack. Our bones and ligaments change over the years - this can also cause a crack here or there. 

Unless there are cracks or pops that cause pain or swelling, this is just the bodies way of working through the day.