Why does my knee make a clicking sound?

By Blogger December 3, 2014 - 5:00pm

Whenever I move and bend my knee, it makes a clicking sound. It isn't painful, but it is really loud sometimes. Why is this happening? Should I be worried?

Hi Hayden

My first thought was that you may have chondromalacia patella - but this is usually associated with pain.  However, since it's happening to you all the time, let's take a look at chondromalacia patella anyway. 

hondromalacia patella is a softening or wearing away of the articular cartilage on the undersurface of the kneecap (patella). Articular cartilage is a smooth substance that covers the femur (thighbone), the tibia (shinbone), and the patella. These structures form the knee joint. The articular cartilage cushions these three bones and allows them to move freely and easily where they meet in the knee. But, when the articular cartilage softens or wears away, pain and inflammation result.

Wile the main symptom is pain, another symptom is that clicking or popping sound. 

I suggest you see a doctor on your next visit to rule it out in case it develops and starts causing real pain. 

There could be other reasons though that are less serious - take a look at this video:

Let me know if this helps!