Do bucket handle meniscal tears always show up on Mri's?

I have suffered from knee pain off and on for the past four years.The pain is normally exacerbated when my knee is bent. Often, when straightening my knee after it has been bent my knee will be locked, causing me to be unable to straighten it. I also have experienced a loss in my range of motion. Nevertheless, nothing shows up on my MRI. Is this possible?

Thanks for your post and welcome!

These tears generally do show up in MRIs and X-rays. Have you had an x-ray as well as an MRI? I'm not sure if it would show up on an x-ray and not an MRI but it's worth a shot.

Have you had an actual diagnosis of a meniscus tear without it showing up on an imaging system? Did an osteopath diagnosis this for you? I am asking because you may have something wrong with your knee's articular cartilage, as opposed to a meniscus cartilage - these conditions are sometimes intertwined but not always. The articular is at the end of the bone while the meniscus is in the middle.

What treatments are you currently undergoing?

Yes I did have an X-ray performed;however, it dis not show up on the x-ray either. After discussing my symptoms, both my general practitioner and my orthopedist thought it was a meniscus tear and only did the MRI to double check. But when it did not show up my orthopedist advised that i start a light physical therapy regiment to rebuild strength in my quads. Nothing was mentioned in regard to my cartilage so i cannot address that.
Thanks for your quick response

Thanks for the update.

It sounds like your doctors are using their years of study and experience rather than imaging which is fine if the therapy is working! Have you noticed an improvement?