Menopause

Menopause Guide

ask: Do women smell different after menopause?

By Michelle King Robson Expert HERWriter

Do any of you who have gone through menopause think you smell different than you did before? By that I mean the way your body smells to you, not that your nose is working differently. I always thought it was just me that felt this way, but tonight I read an article about someone else who thinks she also smells different now that she's post-menopausal.

Anonymous

As a man I can smell them I mile away, i think they do actually attract Bears :) For the love of all that is wholly please wash that thing out at least before you go out in public.

Anonymous

I am post-menipausal and I noticed a smell when using the bathroom.It smells like something died up there. Can anyone tell me what is happening ?

Anonymous

Thank you! So glad to know I am not alone in this! 51 years old and had an aroma until recently, when I went off the Pill. I notice it when I urinate and also there is a lingering scent in my panties and on pajama bottoms. I have doubled up on my water consumption, thinking my body just need to cleanse itself better, but it doesn't seem to make a difference.

Anonymous

So glad I read some of the comments here. I suddenly developed an unusual, foul vaginal odor that is so strong that it penetrates my clothing and I can smell it myself. So can of course others around me. It started right after my last period. I have recently started to skip periods. I had never heard of such an odor before and thought I was going crazy. Then I vaguely recalled my mother smelling this way, but I didn't think about it at the time. It doesn't surprise me that doctors are clueless about this, women's issues not being a priority. This problem with perimenopausal offensive vaginal odor unrelated to bacterial vaginosis is probably not even documented.

Anonymous

Oh- the memories of menopause! I'm safely past it, thank goodness- and happily getting back the week that periods took out of my life every month. I was a heavy bleeder- with pain. But when I was going through the night sweats and sleeplessness and hot flashes, I finally found liquorice root drops- from the health food store. They did help my hot flashes a lot. And sweats.

I came on here just looking for why my urine now has a stronger smell- and as I don't flush everytime and live alone ( my choice) and saving water.. I notice that now my urine smells stronger- and just wondered if it was hormone related.
Other than that I do not smell different or stronger and have been past menopause for a couple years. Brain fog, and other things can very well be symptoms of what you eat as well. I had fatigue and brain fog and recently went to a naturopath who told me that among other things my adrenals are shot due to stress over long periods of time.

So we are working on that first, and after a month- I'm three weeks in- we will reassess and work on weight gain and other issues.

she gave me B5 and B6 and magnesium and vitamin D and told me to eat more protein, and I take adrenal support herbs and drink less coffee- Three weeks in and things are a bit better. A bit more energy without three cups of coffee. And my diet is better - more fresh salads, more protien- so always have breakfast- to make sure I'm getting 60-70 grams of protein a day- and stopped eating as many carbs( fast pizzas becasue I was too tired to cook) brain fog is decreasing- energy up, and sugar cravings almost gone.

So your smell smay be related to hormones, but it may be just eating wrong and stress. See a naturopath if you can. it wasnt cheap- but i figure if i feel better and have energy and can think again- I can always make more money. The path I was on was all downhil. I felt like I was 80. -

Now looking forward to feeling even better, and working towards a happy retirement.

Anonymous

Thank God for the internet! I am SOOOOOOO thankful to have found this site! I am 50 and haven't had a period in about 1 1/2 years. I have noticed an odor ~ not certain how long ago it started, but it's foul! I have allergies and asthma, which have also gotten worse over the last few years (Dr said it can happen as women age :-/ so I prefer to use "natural" soaps. I have to steer very clear of perfumes, so I can't use anything to cover up the odor. My husband hasn't noticed anything, so I can only hope it's not noticeable to others. I HIGHLY recommend flax seed meal for hot flashes & night sweats. I get it in bulk and put a tablespoon in my yogurt every morning. After a couple months of barely any sleep and feeling like I was going to kill someone if I didn't get some sleep ~ a friend recommended this ~ it has been a life saver for me (and perhaps for my husband :-)

You're so funny. .. I'm 47 and feeling the same crap as you! I shower everyday. . Have 10 different deodorants and none work. . My urine smells and I have gained so much weight! ! My dr. Did blood test and was told me in very low in vitamin d....actually putting me a prescription medication. ... I'm ready to jump off my roof and literally can cry on a drop of a dime! !! Ugh

SandyAsh

Yes. My mother had it after menopause - not all the time but the odor has gotten worse as she gets older - most evident in her urine but sometimes it gets so bad you don't even want to be in the same room with her. And now I have it, although neither of my sisters do. Fortunately I have been able to control it so far with Estring (HRT in a silicone ring that has to be inserted into vag.) Unfortunately my mother now has dementia so there is no way she could use Estring. I also don't like the idea of using HRT at my age (65). I have tried other things, (Vagifem) but so far only Estring works. I am still looking for something else.

Anonymous (reply to SandyAsh)

My first husband contacted chlamydia in Viet Nam and during our 5 year marriage I constantly had problems with yeast infections and odorous vaginal discharge. I was treated numerous times with prescription pastes inserted in the vagina, but never cured. After divorcing, I found a doctor who told me the yeast bacteria can change over time and embed in the uterine walls so the normal yeast infection products didn't work. He put both me and my new husband on Flagyl pills (I was un my late 20s). It cured the problem.
I've read that Flagyl is also used for bacterial vaginosis which causes vaginal odor. Vaginal odor due to menopause may be the result of the vagina having less lubricant to wash away bacteria build up. I would not recommend douching as douches tend to dry and irritate the vagina. I would recommend asking a doctor for a vaginal lubricant solution or vaginal product containing Flagil (metronidazole) or better yet, Flagil pills. The pills worked great because they killed all bacteria in the uterus as well as the vagina.
As a side note, I an 65, but never had any vaginal odor due to menopause, which I contribute to no sexually transmitted bacteria in my reproductive tract. However, I've discovered coconut oil as a wonderful product for moisturizing the outside of the genital area as well as odor control from normal daily bathroom duties. I also use it as my only deodorant these days. Coconut oil has anti bacteria and anti fungus properties, is easily absorbed by the skin, and has other health benefits.

Anonymous

I think hormonal changes makes our coochie stink, thats what I think....

Do you have hot flashes due to menopause? :

Did you know that your Internet Browser is out of date?

We're sorry to inform you that you're using a really old web browser and we are unable to support it anymore. A list of the most popular web browsers can be found below. -The EmpowHER Development Team

By closing this window, you acknowledge your experience on this website may be degraded

Close this window