ask: Do women smell different after menopause?

By Michelle King Robson Expert HERWriter

Do any of you who have gone through menopause think you smell different than you did before? By that I mean the way your body smells to you, not that your nose is working differently. I always thought it was just me that felt this way, but tonight I read an article about someone else who thinks she also smells different now that she's post-menopausal.

Anonymous

Yes it smells like something died in there. It did, my sex life :)

Anonymous

I'm 46 and can't seem to pinpoint this musty smell down below. It's very strong and strangely occurs during ovulation, had hysterectomy last year but kept ovaries. I still went into menopause 6 mos after hysterectomy. However, I've started to take the "Body Mint" aka chlorophyll. It WORKs great! But I'm on the fence about the Vaseline as someone commented. Also, eat plenty of pineapple and drink plenty of lemon fused water.

Anonymous

I thought it was just me!!!no point mincing words...I stink."downstairs" as my sister used to say and I find my head sweats and smells a bit like sour milk mixed with stinky socks.My mum never smelled when she was my age and neither do my two sisters.Ive gained quite a bit of weight and was blaming it on that but after reading this forum Im staring to think its my age.yuk! Ive actually noticed my husband smells different than he did so maybe its not just women!

Anonymous

i find the smell a turn on at times . i am worried something is wrong should i worry i am 44 and went throught The menapuase 3 years ago

Anonymous

Thank god I found this I was thinking I was going through this alone .....oh my it is a funky smell & no amount of bathing helps I am 54 & in my 5th year of menopause. I HATE it sweats stink really us ladies get a rough deal !

Susan Cody HERWriter Guide (reply to Anonymous)

Some solutions have been found below. I hope you try some and that one works for you. Let us know if you find success!

Anonymous

Hi ladies,
I, too, have been dealing with this embarrassing problem for a year or so now. Products that have a scent to them, like Norforms and fragranced douches, caused me irritation and just masked the smell anyway. I became so self-conscious that I started avoiding being intimate with my husband. After much searching, I found an unscented product called Ladybits Jelly that is working well for me. It helps to balance my pH, which seems to be the source of the trouble. I also started taking a probiotic supplement, Jarrow Fem Dophilus. I use the Jelly a couple of times a week before bed and the odor is completely gone. It has helped with dryness, too. These two products are kind of expensive (about $50 a month for both), but its well worth it to have my self-confidence and my sex life back.

Anonymous

Glad to see other ladies on here that are noticing the old lady funky smell. It is just nasty. If I showered or sink bathed three times a day it might be just enough, but by morning it's back. It definitely has nothing to do with sexual activity, but something I too noticed after menopause. Hoping to hear about help for this problem.

Anonymous

This is THE most embarrassing problem about getting older that no-one tells you about - and I don't know what I would have done without this type of online forum … it is how I found a solution that works!!!
You make our own vaginal suppositories using boric acid (which you can buy cheaply from a pharmacist I paid £6 two years ago and still have plenty left) and size 0 gelatin capsules (which you can order online). Insert one every night and morning for 7 -14 days to start and this will clear the discharge which causes the smell - as the capsule dissolves there will be a clear watery leakage- (that does not smell !) so best to use panty liners. After the first cleansing days you only need use one capsule very week to two to keep clear (it does tend to come back if you don't). It made me one happy lady I can tell you!!

Anonymous

I am post-menipausal and I noticed a smell when using the bathroom.It smells like something died up there. Can anyone tell me what is happening ?

Menopause

Menopause Guide

Do you have hot flashes due to menopause? :