ask: Do women smell different after menopause?

By Michelle King Robson Expert HERWriter

Do any of you who have gone through menopause think you smell different than you did before? By that I mean the way your body smells to you, not that your nose is working differently. I always thought it was just me that felt this way, but tonight I read an article about someone else who thinks she also smells different now that she's post-menopausal.

I underwent a complete surgical menopause at age 40 for which I take estradiol. I am now 51. Approximately 4 years after onset of menopause I began to notice that I had a strange and unpleasant odor. I tried everything and nothing worked, and in fact some products seemed to make it worse. I finally made an appointment with a GYN who specializes in post-menopausal issues and she was awesome! She explained that these symptoms are not at all uncommon and immediately prescribed Premarin cream for my vagina. This helped immediately! She also explained the PH differences of a post-menopausal vagina and recommended Aveeno oatmeal soap or other completely fragrance free produce containing moisture as to not further dry the vagina and balance the PH. Any traces of odor that were not resolved from the Premarin cream immediately went away. In combination, the cream and soap work great for me so I thought I'd share! If I run out of the Premarin and haven't made it to the pharmacy yet it comes back in about two days. If I run out of the soap it comes back within about four days so it really is a balancing act of keeping estrogen in the vagina and balancing the PH, but as long as I have both I have virtually no odor whatsoever.
Just a note: I have tried other oatmeal soap brands and they didn't work nearly as well. I don't know why Aveeno works so well but it does. Hope this helps anyone experiencing these symptoms.

Susan Cody HERWriter Guide (reply to Anonymous)

You are very kind to share this info, Anon. Many of our readers are desperately searching for a solution and positive experiences always help!

I'm so happy to have stumbled across this website . I'm not alone

I am 51 and haven't noticed any odor in the vaginal area but my arm pits STINK lately! It smells like a garbage can, I can't stand it! I saw above to apply witch hazel to the armpits I am going to try that.

to Anonymous about arm pits smell. Have you tried making your own deodorant with baking soda, coconut oil and lavender e.o.? It really works. Years, before menopause I started to have a skunky smell and tried everything!! The only thing that worked and still does is what I mentioned above. Look online for DIY deodorant recipes.

Witch hazel is a good idea, also consider lemon juice or tea tree oil, both are natural deodorants. Let us know what works for you, it could really help our readers.

I am 54 and had no monthly period for almost 2years. Just recently I noticed a different vaginal odor but I got no discharge. I am on an anti bacterial medication (nasal inflammation) at present and was amazed to discover that the odor suddenly disappeared . So I guess unknowingly, i had a bacterial infection down there . But this forum is very helpful and gives relief. Thank you to all.☺

Yes it smells like something died in there. It did, my sex life :)

I thought it was just me!!!no point mincing words...I stink."downstairs" as my sister used to say and I find my head sweats and smells a bit like sour milk mixed with stinky socks.My mum never smelled when she was my age and neither do my two sisters.Ive gained quite a bit of weight and was blaming it on that but after reading this forum Im staring to think its my age.yuk! Ive actually noticed my husband smells different than he did so maybe its not just women!

I agree. I find I have underarm odor to My husband smells different as well. He is 62 and has impeccable cleanliness standards and yet it is still different. I am 54 and I use dial soap and peroxide and sports powder in a liner to combat the smell. I read that warm water without soap was enough and doesn't dry you out. NOT Tried that last night in the shower not doing my regular regime. Big mistake this am I stink. I miss being told I am puppy's breath. Lol. I know I will never smell that way again but at least I could smell like a dog with fantastic breath! Just tired of fighting this. It is really exhausting and disappointing.

Menopause Guide

Do you have hot flashes due to menopause? :