Do women smell different after menopause?

By Expert HERWriter December 15, 2008 - 9:41pm

Do any of you who have gone through menopause think you smell different than you did before? By that I mean the way your body smells to you, not that your nose is working differently. I always thought it was just me that felt this way, but tonight I read an article about someone else who thinks she also smells different now that she's post-menopausal.

I've had the same vaginal foul order issues. I was totally stressed out. I knew that if I could smell myself, what the heck were people around me smelling? I found a website discussing the issue and a couple of women suggested trying Rephresh Pro-B. It's a supplement that balances the yeast and bacteria. I tried to order off of Amazon but for whatever reason they ended up not delivering it. I then found it on the Target website. I looked for it at my local Target but they didn't carry it. I think it's a website only kind of thing. Anyway, after about four days of taking the pill I am proud to say I no longer have that vaginal stench. Hope this helps.

Thank you so much for your suggestion. I have gone online to look this product up and ordered it online for pick up in store. The store has it but its $32.00, for goodness sake. Online it was only $16.00, so I got two boxes. I sure hope it works because I'm know I'm a clean woman but this menopause makes me feel so..."nasty" (my best description).

I am 63, startec menopause 10 yrs ago, hate everything about it, prior to that i looked young, then a few months into menopause ppl started treating me differently, I v quickly looked years older. Last night heard myself described as an "old lady" even though I do my best to look young and dress youthfully, I do no want to look old, I like Japanese vocaloid MMD videos and would like to make my own, collect some of the figurines like Black Rock Shooter, etc, I have interests that only young ppl usually are interested in, not because I'm forcing myself to be interested in things like that, but because I just am naturally. I'm not interested in things that most ppl my age are interested in. I don't fit in anywhere, no longer look or smell the same so get treated differently, ppl treat me like a funny old eccentric woman instead of me, with my unique personality, all that is ignored, in the eyes of the world, I'm just 'old'. I hate it, have no friends, except one man years older than me fdwho treats me badly and he has strong interest in really young girls I recently discovered so don't even like being in his company but have had to rely on him for certain things becasue there is no one else, I have tried so hard to make friends, have sought help from so called professionals, can't walk properly anymore, try to walk fast but can't, i am terrified, have no one to rely on, want to enjoy life, nobody cares about me except me myself. I want to look like me again, not just like an old woman, even without all the obvious signs of age, there are obviously still giveaways, probably the way I walk , upper arms loose flesh, squared off jawline droopy eyes, old lady smell, even sweet candy vanilla type scents seem to end up as the old lady cologne smell. Nature is trying very hard to make me as unattractive as possible in every way possible because no longer fertile and heaven forbid anyone of the opposite sex should still be interested in a woman over 50 let alone over 60, not that I want anyone ,i don't, but the fact that from being seen as young and desirable , i went from that, to straight to being old and undesirble in the eyes of the world. it is all so depressing. i used to be told , if you think things are bad now, wait until you get older! it gets even worse then! I now know what they mean!

Oh you poor thing. I do know exactly how you feel, but you seem like you are in a really vulnerable place with not enough support in place around you.

I'm going through menopause. I've been peri-menopausal for years -- years early I might add. I don't have a family, so I don't even get the satisfaction of feeling like a matronly woman who has been there and done that but martyred my my foxy years to momhood.

I have a much younger boyfriend (which sometimes make me feel very insecure) and a lot of similarly youthful interests (old stuff that only 20-somethings like). A few short years ago, I went back to school and fit in very well with all the students, who were all amused that I was the age of their mothers and a few abuellitas. I took Capoeira for crying out loud. I was in good health and glowed.

Today, not so much. I just came back from trip where suddenly and without warning, I stunk up a crowded airplane. I was clean, wearing clean clothes, but two days of underhydration and one painful sex act later, my pH was waaaay off. I still smell like low tide. I am also getting my mom's puppet mouth and jowls and my dad's droopy yet bulgy eyes with concentric burple (brown purple) circles. And just when I think I've tackled the strange eyelid hairs, the gray pops out of my head again.

I don't know how women go through this. I was never vain, but it's still pretty hard to cope with.

I'm also long-term unemployed, have an over-financed education and I'm gaining weight like a sinking ship.

What gets me through it is that liking my hobbies and being "unique" in that same way gives me a little self esteem boost, just enough to do the work I need to do to --try to -- counter balance things. Knowing that I cultivate interests other people would never invest the time in, is somehow a point of pride. And my cat. I hate being a cat lady, since it furthers the stereotype, but at the end of the day, I am here to serve the animals. The unconditional love is just a side benefit. My boyfriend has his own interests, and has no patience to hear about mine. He would sooner put his eyes out with lemon rinds than listen to me talk about Jim Sterenko's comic style, Transmedia >IF in the 3D world, Dennis Tek's Detroit influence on Australian punk rock n roll, or which Italian or Korean cult horror movies would have been improved by a Humane Society animal monitor (That's your bad, Dario and Park.)

I'm proof, you don't need to build relationships with the people who like what you like. That's always pretty hit or miss anyway. The people who like what I like either want nothing to do with me, or they're old fogeys like me and the comic book guy from the Simpsons. I once tried dating online (in the days of dial up) and all I attracted with my quirky profile were man-boys twice my age and looking for women half. Your online anime comrades serve one solid function, but for everything not Miku or Manga related, you'd do better to surround yourself with kind loving people of any age, but particularly women, who understand what you feel like. Even if they don't get you on other issues. Frankly, I'm not surprised the old dude who likes MMD is a sexist, agist jerk. That stuff is very very girlly. If you're a fancy girl deep down inside that sophisticated woman body, it probably touches your happy place. If you're a big overgrown man, I don't want to know what part of your brain it lights up. If you need his assistance, I don't want to say you shouldn't accept it, but it may be damaging to your self esteem in the long run. Sometimes people chip away at it even when they're just being who they are. Do your best to avoid those people.

In general, needing help from people might not be such a terrible thing. Sometimes it can open doors. Some fellowships are so hardcore that members will go out of their way to get you there. I'm not saying you should fake a 12-step problem or Belief with a capital B, but lineage and cultural societies, have fellowship to rival a church. And some social media is geared towards neighbors, like NextDoor.

After typing this, I already feel I've overstepped the comments section, but you seem like you're at a crossroads, and I've been there over other issues in my life. I hope I framed some of this in terms of what worked for me, rather than what you should do. And I hope everything works out. I'm glad I'm seeing your comment on a website entitled Empower Her. We are all still gorgeous beauties even if we don't feel like it. Or even if no one wants to sit in coach with me.

(reply to Anonymous)

I understand a lot of what you wrote about. And I'm sorry, because it is hard & lonely & scary. I'm 53, & I actually look a bit younger than that. Most of my life I've identified more with people younger than me - not because I'm immature or perverted - just because I embrace whatever I like, which definitely isn't "old lady" stuff! That should be of no consequence these days, with people generally living longer & in better health longer, but unfortunately there are those who still go by stereotypes. I ended a 7 & a half year relationship in Jan. of this year with a guy who was 21 & a half years younger than me. (He pursued me when we first met.) The age difference did cause a lot of issues between us, but for a long time it felt like we could get through most that came up. (One biggie that could NOT be overcome was the way his family thought of me & treated me because of our age difference, even though we loved each other & had a lot in common.) Then 3 years ago I had to have a second bladder mesh surgery (incontinence issues from giving birth to 2 large babies when I was very young, & I'm a small female) & also a full hysterectomy (I was having long, painful periods, & endometriosis). After those 2 surgeries, sex was extremely painful for me. I went to quite a few drs & even tried physical therapy, vaginal dialators, estrogen creams, etc. But it just kept getting worse. I'm not going to have sex if it causes me pain, so of course this became a HUGE problem in my relationship. My "boy" friend became quite an ass to me, so I finally cut him out of my life completely. I've had BAD odor changes with sweat everywhere on my body, & still have fairly frequent hot flashes, & it is embarrassing. I have pretty much zero libido anymore, mostly because I associate sex with anxiety & pain, & then shame - because I feel like I have no control over the way my body functions since surgeries. I think if I could hook up with a caring & patient like-minded man closer to my age, I might be able to work through these changes in my body & enjoy sharing my life with someone. But until that happens, I'm staying single. It sucks, it's lonely, & it's depressing. But if I were to try to settle for less, I KNOW it would be much worse. I have been unable to work for 6 yrs & am on disability, so I don't even have a job to fill my days & give me a feeling of purpose & productivity. A big part of me was defined by being a mom, but my sons are grown & moved away, & I very rarely get to see them or my grandchildren. I just moved out of an apartment building that felt more like a prison, & am now renting a large house with 2 long-time female friends & one's pre-teen son. I love them all, but it is proving to be quite an adjustment for all of us living in the same house now. I think we will be okay, though. I wish for your sake that you had some caring females in your life right now. I think that is very important. I will add you to my prayers. I hope your life begins to change for the better, in many ways. Don't give up - you sound like someone I'D probably really enjoy being friends with, so I hope you will keep yourself open & that wonderful opportunities will come your way. Stay true to yourself, & God bless you. :)

Yep, I indeed know where you're coming from. I'm sixty and I began "feeling myself disappear" when I entered my fiftys, I am now all but gone. America is a very hard country to grow old in if you're a womam.

OMG, I thought there was something wrong with me. Why don't woman discuss this issue? Started menopause at age 48. I had breast cancer at age 50. After a bi-lateral Mastectomy & 8 rounds of chemo I was slammed into menopause. Severe Mood swings, hot flashes but most importantly my vagina shrunk. Now at a young age of 62 I find intercourse to be very painful and to be brutally honest I smell like dead fish down there!! Talked to my friend about this and she told me it was a lack of estrogen, so I immediately refilled my prescription for the Estring ring. Voila, within 3 days the nasty odor dissipated & intercourse isn't as painful. I purchased it online at Planet Dugs Direct for $98.00 (lasts 3 months) here in the good old USA they wanted $400.00. I also have tried every lubricant out there, astroglide, etc and found the only thing that works for me is raw, organic coconut oil. So I will continue with the ring even though my Breast Cancer was Estrogen positive, my oncologist stated this WAS THE SAFEST method out there. Hubby is happy & the cat doesn't steal my panties anymore, lol! Good luck ladies and PLEASE whatever you do DON'T let your Dr. talk you into HRT!!

I would try this immediately if I didn't think it was a huge risk. I fear the hormones would just Stoke my cancer cells (metastic breast cancer for ten years). Having no estrogen sucks in more ways than I ever anticipated. I will ask my doctor. At some of int though, quality of life is going to win out over prolonged life. I just have to get the kids self sufficient. Then I want my body back, without strange smells, painful sex and bladder infections galore.

"Hubby is happy & the cat doesn't steal my panties anymore, lol! "

That is so brutally honest, but gross, but funny, I laughed out loud! You're hilarious!

Thanks for your Share, I hope it helps other women going through this.

Thank you so much for your honesty. I'm just a little weirded out at the change in smells in so many places. I had that vaginal fishy smell for a while. Don't know exactly why it went away but that was such a drag while it lasted. I determined it had something to do with my husband not completely clearing out the sperm after ejaculation. That last little bit left inside would go fishy after a few hours. Then there was a transfer of whatever that bacteria was that multiplied in his body. I have him make sure he washes first and no more fishy smelly in my silk purse anymore! Now I have a thick, kind of medicinal smell to my urine that kinda reminds me of, back when I had babies, how a disposable diaper smelled first thing in the morning. I'll post that question separately, too. By the way, You Made Me Laugh, funny lady. I lived in the tropics for a few months and the little ants literally ate holes, overnight, in my dirty underwear. I never left them out again.

Menopause Guide