Q: 

Do women smell different after menopause?

By Expert HERWriter December 15, 2008 - 9:41pm

Do any of you who have gone through menopause think you smell different than you did before? By that I mean the way your body smells to you, not that your nose is working differently. I always thought it was just me that felt this way, but tonight I read an article about someone else who thinks she also smells different now that she's post-menopausal.

Anonymous

I am 55 years old. I am in menopause stage and recently I am experiencing bad odor in my body that cause loosing my job because everybody use to make fun of me and I couldn't take anymore, so I quit. Any suggestion that can help me in this issue?

Anonymous

I've had the same vaginal foul order issues. I was totally stressed out. I knew that if I could smell myself, what the heck were people around me smelling? I found a website discussing the issue and a couple of women suggested trying Rephresh Pro-B. It's a supplement that balances the yeast and bacteria. I tried to order off of Amazon but for whatever reason they ended up not delivering it. I then found it on the Target website. I looked for it at my local Target but they didn't carry it. I think it's a website only kind of thing. Anyway, after about four days of taking the pill I am proud to say I no longer have that vaginal stench. Hope this helps.

Hi! Im 31 and recently had both ovaries removed. Only to find out that before this my husband had said he noticed a smell down there but never brought it to my attention. I had to have my ovaries out due to cysts the size of golf balls. since my surgery nothing. I told him he should have told me as that is not normal to smell like lowtide for a woman no matter what his friends said lol. Always get it checked. I almost died on my 31st birthday when my tube ruptured i had also had an undetected pregnancy in the same ovary. My other had been removed in 2007 due to a rupture.

Ladies I can't stress enough the importance of going to see your OB-GYN if you are having odor issues. That being said not all OBGYNs are competent enough to help you. If you are experiencing a fishy odor you most likely are suffering from a condition called bacterial vaginosis. (bv)This is an imbalance of good and bad bacteria.
The vagina needs to maintain an acidic pH to be healthy and needs to have plenty of good bacteria to combat the bad bacteria. Menopause, menstruation, and presence of semen can all create situations where your pH is raised to an unhealthy level. If the odor is primarily fishy and it is bad you'll most likely need a round of antibiotics(flagyl) to knock it out followed by some tender loving care to bring things back to Natural Balance. Be warned the antibiotics will give you a raging yeast infection but that can be remedied . A good women's probiotic such as fortify will be a valuable ally. Take it everyday and keep a good eye on your pH.
I apologize in advance if anyone is uncomfortable that this advice is coming from a 37 year old man who is not an OBGYN. My wife is much older than me and suffered these issues after her hysterectomy. Her OB-GYN was a little help to her so I got really proactive. She has been odor free for over a year.
Gardnerella bacteria is your enemy. If you have never heard of it it's time to do some research. Good luck to all sorry again I made anyone uncomfortable

Really caring man and thank you for your information. Is it ok to still have sexual intercourse? I can't pass any health issues on to my partner can I?

(reply to Anonymous)

Anonymous.....

I admire you greatly!
A caring, well-informed man that obviously loves his wife and truly cares for the well-being of others.
Luckily, I have not had these issues, but do stay informed through research so that I may be of help to anyone who may need a little advice.
I'm sure your wife already knows how fortunate she is to have someone like yourself........as I'm sure you are proud to have such a wonderful lady as your wife as well.
Thank you for your invaluable message.

As i went into my 50's and perimenopausal, i repeatedly had a fishy smell from my vagina for the first time in my life which no amount of washing could cure. I knew the vagina had to be acidic to smell healthy and the fishy odour was due to alkaline. So i realised i needed to replenish with something acidic. I ordered boric acid powder online and empty gel capsules. I filled caps with powder and inserted one in my vagina overnight and next day smell was gone. My menopausal friends, who have tried everythong else find this works really well and really quickly. Id previously had metronidazole, ph balance from boots etc to no avail.

Thank you so much for your suggestion. I have gone online to look this product up and ordered it online for pick up in store. The store has it but its $32.00, for goodness sake. Online it was only $16.00, so I got two boxes. I sure hope it works because I'm know I'm a clean woman but this menopause makes me feel so..."nasty" (my best description).

Anonymous

I am 63, startec menopause 10 yrs ago, hate everything about it, prior to that i looked young, then a few months into menopause ppl started treating me differently, I v quickly looked years older. Last night heard myself described as an "old lady" even though I do my best to look young and dress youthfully, I do no want to look old, I like Japanese vocaloid MMD videos and would like to make my own, collect some of the figurines like Black Rock Shooter, etc, I have interests that only young ppl usually are interested in, not because I'm forcing myself to be interested in things like that, but because I just am naturally. I'm not interested in things that most ppl my age are interested in. I don't fit in anywhere, no longer look or smell the same so get treated differently, ppl treat me like a funny old eccentric woman instead of me, with my unique personality, all that is ignored, in the eyes of the world, I'm just 'old'. I hate it, have no friends, except one man years older than me fdwho treats me badly and he has strong interest in really young girls I recently discovered so don't even like being in his company but have had to rely on him for certain things becasue there is no one else, I have tried so hard to make friends, have sought help from so called professionals, can't walk properly anymore, try to walk fast but can't, i am terrified, have no one to rely on, want to enjoy life, nobody cares about me except me myself. I want to look like me again, not just like an old woman, even without all the obvious signs of age, there are obviously still giveaways, probably the way I walk , upper arms loose flesh, squared off jawline droopy eyes, old lady smell, even sweet candy vanilla type scents seem to end up as the old lady cologne smell. Nature is trying very hard to make me as unattractive as possible in every way possible because no longer fertile and heaven forbid anyone of the opposite sex should still be interested in a woman over 50 let alone over 60, not that I want anyone ,i don't, but the fact that from being seen as young and desirable , i went from that, to straight to being old and undesirble in the eyes of the world. it is all so depressing. i used to be told , if you think things are bad now, wait until you get older! it gets even worse then! I now know what they mean!

Oh you poor thing. I do know exactly how you feel, but you seem like you are in a really vulnerable place with not enough support in place around you.

I'm going through menopause. I've been peri-menopausal for years -- years early I might add. I don't have a family, so I don't even get the satisfaction of feeling like a matronly woman who has been there and done that but martyred my my foxy years to momhood.

I have a much younger boyfriend (which sometimes make me feel very insecure) and a lot of similarly youthful interests (old stuff that only 20-somethings like). A few short years ago, I went back to school and fit in very well with all the students, who were all amused that I was the age of their mothers and a few abuellitas. I took Capoeira for crying out loud. I was in good health and glowed.

Today, not so much. I just came back from trip where suddenly and without warning, I stunk up a crowded airplane. I was clean, wearing clean clothes, but two days of underhydration and one painful sex act later, my pH was waaaay off. I still smell like low tide. I am also getting my mom's puppet mouth and jowls and my dad's droopy yet bulgy eyes with concentric burple (brown purple) circles. And just when I think I've tackled the strange eyelid hairs, the gray pops out of my head again.

I don't know how women go through this. I was never vain, but it's still pretty hard to cope with.

I'm also long-term unemployed, have an over-financed education and I'm gaining weight like a sinking ship.

What gets me through it is that liking my hobbies and being "unique" in that same way gives me a little self esteem boost, just enough to do the work I need to do to --try to -- counter balance things. Knowing that I cultivate interests other people would never invest the time in, is somehow a point of pride. And my cat. I hate being a cat lady, since it furthers the stereotype, but at the end of the day, I am here to serve the animals. The unconditional love is just a side benefit. My boyfriend has his own interests, and has no patience to hear about mine. He would sooner put his eyes out with lemon rinds than listen to me talk about Jim Sterenko's comic style, Transmedia >IF in the 3D world, Dennis Tek's Detroit influence on Australian punk rock n roll, or which Italian or Korean cult horror movies would have been improved by a Humane Society animal monitor (That's your bad, Dario and Park.)

I'm proof, you don't need to build relationships with the people who like what you like. That's always pretty hit or miss anyway. The people who like what I like either want nothing to do with me, or they're old fogeys like me and the comic book guy from the Simpsons. I once tried dating online (in the days of dial up) and all I attracted with my quirky profile were man-boys twice my age and looking for women half. Your online anime comrades serve one solid function, but for everything not Miku or Manga related, you'd do better to surround yourself with kind loving people of any age, but particularly women, who understand what you feel like. Even if they don't get you on other issues. Frankly, I'm not surprised the old dude who likes MMD is a sexist, agist jerk. That stuff is very very girlly. If you're a fancy girl deep down inside that sophisticated woman body, it probably touches your happy place. If you're a big overgrown man, I don't want to know what part of your brain it lights up. If you need his assistance, I don't want to say you shouldn't accept it, but it may be damaging to your self esteem in the long run. Sometimes people chip away at it even when they're just being who they are. Do your best to avoid those people.

In general, needing help from people might not be such a terrible thing. Sometimes it can open doors. Some fellowships are so hardcore that members will go out of their way to get you there. I'm not saying you should fake a 12-step problem or Belief with a capital B, but lineage and cultural societies, have fellowship to rival a church. And some social media is geared towards neighbors, like NextDoor.

After typing this, I already feel I've overstepped the comments section, but you seem like you're at a crossroads, and I've been there over other issues in my life. I hope I framed some of this in terms of what worked for me, rather than what you should do. And I hope everything works out. I'm glad I'm seeing your comment on a website entitled Empower Her. We are all still gorgeous beauties even if we don't feel like it. Or even if no one wants to sit in coach with me.

Tags:

Menopause

Menopause Guide