ask: My feet, legs, and joints are stiff in the morning why?

By Jenb February 14, 2009 - 7:11am

Wow I am having nearly the same condition. My feet, legs, and knees hurt all the time. But it is worse in the morning, and I am stiff as a board when I get out of bed. It does gradually get better throughout the day. I am 5'6 160lbs. But it always still hurts, when I sit or stand in one position for more than 15minutes it gets worse. My muscles tighten, they become stiff. I can't walk down stairs (I can go up, my knees just make creeking sounds). This all started last May, when my right knee swelled up really big (no injury) then fluid traveled all over in my leg, mostly the way gravity took it, to my ankle. I had no insurance at then time, so I had some crutches at home from my Grandfather, I used those because I couldn't walk. It took a week or do for the swelling to go away. I was scheduled to be out of country in July for a month visiting family, so I went even with my leg bothering me (I could walk again at this point). I was there two weeks and got Shingles, I flew home with it and got trated for it. I still can't walk well, and all of my "old" injuries hurt too, like my pinky finger I broke in 4th grade. I strech still daily, and exercise even though it is extremely painful. It hurts so bad I developed a jaw clinching thing I do it constantly, that hurts too (but not nearly as bad). Any ideas of what the heck is going on with my body? Oh I forgot to mention I went to an orthopedic surgeon, and he told me to lose some weight, he sent me for an xray of my right leg, since that is where it all started, and I haven't been back. The xray was negative.

I just turned 30 in Aug I am over weight but very active daily as I have a 1 yr old two 2 yr olds and a 3 year old every morning when i get out of bed my legs and feet are so sore and stiff I can barely walk but it soon wears off until I sit for a short period of time same thing after i get up and every night when I go to bed I have severe pain in my legs and knees I find myself stretching them out and moving them all about trying to get the pain to stop it keeps me awake and wakes me up after I finally get to sleep any suggestions

Maybe you should take a break from exercise and stretching until your body normalizes. You can get aches and pains from exercise and feel stiff when you wake up. Then after you feel normal again i would recommend moving your body through your full range of motion. That means for example pulling your shoulders back and then lifting your arms to the side keeping your elbows back. And stand bending over so your chest touches your thighs with your legs bent and then straightening your quads so you feel a stretch in your hamstrings and a burn in your quadriceps. That means your strengthening your quads and shoulders in those positions, and gaining a greater range of motion. Perhaps your sciatic nerve is tight due to over exercise. If you're weak then you will feel a burn and that means you are working the muscle. A lack of strength/flexibility can create stiffness. Keep doing this throughout the day. What i think is causing the problem is some nerve in your body is stiff that is giving you the sensations you are experiencing. Before some chronic disease, It's usually always nerves not functioning as they should due to overuse/underuse of some range of motion, scar tissue, weakness, etc.. You improve it by getting enough rest and opening up your range of motion. This makes your muscles feel super relaxed and good, and improves your well-being. Hope you solve the problem. Best wishes

I was diagnosed with Rhematoid Arthritis in 1991 with these symptoms. See a Rheumatologist to get pain free and physically active again.

Turmeric milk is good. See a naturopath. X

I use a golf ball muscle massager to roll out each morning which really helps my body into the day i attached the link, it really does help. I also drink a scoop of biosteel pink drink which can help wake me up instead of coffee. Anybody else have any other ideas?

A lot of my pain went away when I went wheat free. It took a lot of starts and quits to finally give it a real try, but I won't be going back on wheat. But my point isn't "wheat" but something is causing a lot of inflammation, and likely a food. Maybe see a naturopath and get tested for foods, etc., an irritation is driving your system over the edge. And don't think because a food never bothered you before, it couldn't be a problem now. Your body gets tired of fighting foods it's not built for, and finally rebels. Some folks have got relieve in days, others months. Live is a process, not an event. Good luck... Molly

have you ever tried magnesium oil spray for joint pain, and stiffness.
Can be bought easily..

I have back pain alot, and use this Zechstein magnesium oil spray, three or four squirts in the palm of hand and rub well into the areas..
Its amazing.. Use as often as you wish ..

Magnesium oil spray is transdermal and absorbs through the skin, its what athletes / footballers use for sports injury etc ..

Also Magnesium protects against heart attacks too and this is the first line of treatment for post heart attack.. Via paramedics and hospitals
Magnesium via injection or IV ..

Its a great healer and protector... My back pain is almost non existent after many years of suffering.

I buy mine from ebay uk.. Or amazon have it or in Uk holland and barret.

Its amazing ... For aches, pains etc and health

I drive a truck for a living & I sit and drive up to 14hrs everyday my knees , lower back are killing me in the morning all day & even after a hot shower /w green rubbing alcohol & 2 800mg Ibuprofen which eases the pain just enough to go to sleep .

On a long term basis, using, if I read this correctly, 1,600 mg of ibuprofen nightly to sleep is not a reasonable dose to take. The likelihood of excessive bleeding is too high to continue. You should make an attempt to find the cause of the inflammation you are treating with a very high dose of ibuprofen. It might be the seat in which you sit, it might be that you need circulatory exercises during work hours. It might be that you have a significant sensitivity to foods such as wheat and other grains. You might have to find other employment. Dealing with your pain with so much ibuprofen will have negative health effects. What would you do if ibuprofen was not available? You'd have to act and I urge you to do so.

My teenage daughter was having similar cramping and fatigue. I went in during the night one time and noticed she was stiff as a board, her jaw was locked, her toes were pointed and stiff and her hands were spread out. I was a little worried she was having a seizure but she was sound asleep.

Who do you trust for making healthy living/lifestyle choices? :