Bones & Joints

Bones & Joints Guide

ask: My feet, legs, and joints are stiff in the morning why?

By Jenb

Wow I am having nearly the same condition. My feet, legs, and knees hurt all the time. But it is worse in the morning, and I am stiff as a board when I get out of bed. It does gradually get better throughout the day. I am 5'6 160lbs. But it always still hurts, when I sit or stand in one position for more than 15minutes it gets worse. My muscles tighten, they become stiff. I can't walk down stairs (I can go up, my knees just make creeking sounds). This all started last May, when my right knee swelled up really big (no injury) then fluid traveled all over in my leg, mostly the way gravity took it, to my ankle. I had no insurance at then time, so I had some crutches at home from my Grandfather, I used those because I couldn't walk. It took a week or do for the swelling to go away. I was scheduled to be out of country in July for a month visiting family, so I went even with my leg bothering me (I could walk again at this point). I was there two weeks and got Shingles, I flew home with it and got trated for it. I still can't walk well, and all of my "old" injuries hurt too, like my pinky finger I broke in 4th grade. I strech still daily, and exercise even though it is extremely painful. It hurts so bad I developed a jaw clinching thing I do it constantly, that hurts too (but not nearly as bad). Any ideas of what the heck is going on with my body? Oh I forgot to mention I went to an orthopedic surgeon, and he told me to lose some weight, he sent me for an xray of my right leg, since that is where it all started, and I haven't been back. The xray was negative.

Anonymous

My teenage daughter was having similar cramping and fatigue. I went in during the night one time and noticed she was stiff as a board, her jaw was locked, her toes were pointed and stiff and her hands were spread out. I was a little worried she was having a seizure but she was sound asleep.

Anonymous

when i weak up in the morning my legs an feet are so stiff, the way i can not walk properly any more.please tel me why is it like that ?
and what i should do ?

Susan Cody HERWriter Guide (reply to Anonymous)

There are many responses and suggestions throughout this thread that you give you many leads and ideas on what may be wrong. 

Take a look through and tell us what you think! 

Anonymous

Well as we grow older, our muscles begins to deteriorate and the joint muscles in the patella are no exception. As a results, joint pains happen to everybody. But I have read a book on jumper's knee and that states that training and exercises helps to improve and strengthen the muscles around the knees. Physical therapy is strongly recommended for Beating Patellar Tendonitis !!!

Anonymous

Exactly how I feel...I have insurance and have had multiple tests that are all negative. I feel as if I am going crazy. I am NOT DEPRESSED as I tell my physician, but the symptoms are real. Currently worked around home previous day and today I cannot stand to put any weight on my ankle and elbows are burning.......what is this??? My recent MRI stated I have degenerative bone disease with 3 bulging discs and impingement, went to Nuero surgeon ..and he said he had no idea why my physician referred me...what's a lady to do? My physician was perplexed and they want to send me to pain clinic not help me??????

You have osteoporosis (degenerative bone disease) which can be a serious condition. And bulging discs can be a nightmare in terms of pain so somebody has to help you!

A specialist for osteoporosis is hard to find sometimes as there is no real "osteoporosis doctor" but gynecologists can sometimes help, as can orthopedic doctors or Rheumatologist. If you go to a clinic especially for women , you may find help there too. You need to ask your principal doctor for a proper referral and tell this doctor that you need someone knowledgeable in this specialty so you are not being given the runaround. 

Anonymous

I'm 26 my bones crack all over my body, especially my knees. When I wash dishes or write, etc. anything to do with my hands my fingers start to hurt and stay stiff. I fell asleep on my couch once with my arm up and half an hour later when I woke up my arm was completely stiff and so painful to put down. I work in retail and I am constantly on my feet and that's when I mostly feel pain in my knees (which by the way ALWAYS crack). When I sleep on my side my hip feels like it's pushing in to my body and hurts so bad that I have to lay straight. I'm not sure what it is that I have. ??????

Anonymous

For the last three weeks my body has been getting worse, it all started with a really sore left hip for which I got some tablets, which helped a little,then a week later my right knee swelled up and started getting pains in the left side of my back,also my big toes swelled up and couldn't bend my left arm properly. The doctor gave me steroids, which I think work during the day, but when I get up in morning I cant move, feel like an 80 year old man. Got to see rheumatology speialist tomorrow. Being in so much pain

Anonymous

I'm 23. And i am feeling stiffness in the morning in my ankles, wrists fingers toes.. and when i walk for a long duration.

Its really worrying as im so young and it will only get worse ,

anyone know what else could be causing this

Anonymous

I had all the symptoms of RA, when I was 32. It turned out I had hypothyroidism. My symptoms were so bad I couldn't walk up or down stairs and I couldn't lift my arms to wash my hair in the shower. So, maybe some of you may have these problems because of your thyroids. All my RA symptoms disappeared as I soon as I started taking levothroid.

Who do you trust for making healthy living/lifestyle choices? :