Bones & Joints

Bones & Joints Guide

ask: My feet, legs, and joints are stiff in the morning why?

By Jenb

Wow I am having nearly the same condition. My feet, legs, and knees hurt all the time. But it is worse in the morning, and I am stiff as a board when I get out of bed. It does gradually get better throughout the day. I am 5'6 160lbs. But it always still hurts, when I sit or stand in one position for more than 15minutes it gets worse. My muscles tighten, they become stiff. I can't walk down stairs (I can go up, my knees just make creeking sounds). This all started last May, when my right knee swelled up really big (no injury) then fluid traveled all over in my leg, mostly the way gravity took it, to my ankle. I had no insurance at then time, so I had some crutches at home from my Grandfather, I used those because I couldn't walk. It took a week or do for the swelling to go away. I was scheduled to be out of country in July for a month visiting family, so I went even with my leg bothering me (I could walk again at this point). I was there two weeks and got Shingles, I flew home with it and got trated for it. I still can't walk well, and all of my "old" injuries hurt too, like my pinky finger I broke in 4th grade. I strech still daily, and exercise even though it is extremely painful. It hurts so bad I developed a jaw clinching thing I do it constantly, that hurts too (but not nearly as bad). Any ideas of what the heck is going on with my body? Oh I forgot to mention I went to an orthopedic surgeon, and he told me to lose some weight, he sent me for an xray of my right leg, since that is where it all started, and I haven't been back. The xray was negative.

Anonymous

A lot of my pain went away when I went wheat free. It took a lot of starts and quits to finally give it a real try, but I won't be going back on wheat. But my point isn't "wheat" but something is causing a lot of inflammation, and likely a food. Maybe see a naturopath and get tested for foods, etc., an irritation is driving your system over the edge. And don't think because a food never bothered you before, it couldn't be a problem now. Your body gets tired of fighting foods it's not built for, and finally rebels. Some folks have got relieve in days, others months. Live is a process, not an event. Good luck... Molly

Anonymous

have you ever tried magnesium oil spray for joint pain, and stiffness.
Can be bought easily..

I have back pain alot, and use this Zechstein magnesium oil spray, three or four squirts in the palm of hand and rub well into the areas..
Its amazing.. Use as often as you wish ..

Magnesium oil spray is transdermal and absorbs through the skin, its what athletes / footballers use for sports injury etc ..

Also Magnesium protects against heart attacks too and this is the first line of treatment for post heart attack.. Via paramedics and hospitals
Magnesium via injection or IV ..

Its a great healer and protector... My back pain is almost non existent after many years of suffering.

I buy mine from ebay uk.. Or amazon have it or in Uk holland and barret.

Its amazing ... For aches, pains etc and health

Anonymous

I drive a truck for a living & I sit and drive up to 14hrs everyday my knees , lower back are killing me in the morning all day & even after a hot shower /w green rubbing alcohol & 2 800mg Ibuprofen which eases the pain just enough to go to sleep .

On a long term basis, using, if I read this correctly, 1,600 mg of ibuprofen nightly to sleep is not a reasonable dose to take. The likelihood of excessive bleeding is too high to continue. You should make an attempt to find the cause of the inflammation you are treating with a very high dose of ibuprofen. It might be the seat in which you sit, it might be that you need circulatory exercises during work hours. It might be that you have a significant sensitivity to foods such as wheat and other grains. You might have to find other employment. Dealing with your pain with so much ibuprofen will have negative health effects. What would you do if ibuprofen was not available? You'd have to act and I urge you to do so.

Anonymous

My teenage daughter was having similar cramping and fatigue. I went in during the night one time and noticed she was stiff as a board, her jaw was locked, her toes were pointed and stiff and her hands were spread out. I was a little worried she was having a seizure but she was sound asleep.

Has she ever taken Levaquin or an antibiotic in the category of Quinolines? I had intravenous Levaquin in the hospital several years ago and have had this similar thing happening to me ever since. It started as soon as I was released from the hospital. My fingers stiffened and I couldn't even hold my fork or cut my own meat. My husband had to feed me. It is extremely painful. I ended up at the ER the second time it did that to my leg. Now my ribcage tightens and sometimes it hits both legs and I cannot walk. Noone has any idea what caused it, but I know these meds cause tendon damage and other very dangerous symptoms. And, I never did this until my bout with Bronchitis and I was treated with Levaquin and Prednisone. Cipro almost killed my brother. He was in the hospital for days after he took a Cipro pill.

Anonymous

when i weak up in the morning my legs an feet are so stiff, the way i can not walk properly any more.please tel me why is it like that ?
and what i should do ?

Susan Cody HERWriter Guide (reply to Anonymous)

There are many responses and suggestions throughout this thread that you give you many leads and ideas on what may be wrong. 

Take a look through and tell us what you think! 

Anonymous

Well as we grow older, our muscles begins to deteriorate and the joint muscles in the patella are no exception. As a results, joint pains happen to everybody. But I have read a book on jumper's knee and that states that training and exercises helps to improve and strengthen the muscles around the knees. Physical therapy is strongly recommended for Beating Patellar Tendonitis !!!

Anonymous

Exactly how I feel...I have insurance and have had multiple tests that are all negative. I feel as if I am going crazy. I am NOT DEPRESSED as I tell my physician, but the symptoms are real. Currently worked around home previous day and today I cannot stand to put any weight on my ankle and elbows are burning.......what is this??? My recent MRI stated I have degenerative bone disease with 3 bulging discs and impingement, went to Nuero surgeon ..and he said he had no idea why my physician referred me...what's a lady to do? My physician was perplexed and they want to send me to pain clinic not help me??????

Who do you trust for making healthy living/lifestyle choices? :