rib fractures

By Anonymous November 2, 2011 - 12:09am

My 8thand 9th ribs were dignosed 2 b fractured on 10-10-2011 is it possible 4 not 2 heal back the way r suppose 2 I've beenresting and I can at 1st only lay on my back buti feel a lot better but it still feels like something is poking out in the backpart of my back when I'm laying on my back is all a part of the healing.

I'm sorry you're in pain - rib fractures and breaks are really painful and can take some time to heal.

Rib fracture treatments include:

Rest and do not do physical activity until the pain has gone away.

Your doctor may suggest wearing a chest binder around your ribs to protect them. The binder will also help you breathe properly. It is very important to take some good breaths so that the lungs remain clear. Pneumonia can develop after rib fractures if you are not breathing deeply enough. If you play contact sports, you may need to wear a rib cage protector for 6-8 weeks when you return to playing.

Your doctor may recommend that you take one of the following drugs to help reduce inflammation and pain:
■Ibuprofen (Motrin, Advil)
■Naproxen (Aleve, Naprosyn)
■Acetaminophen (Tylenol)

Physical Therapy

As your ribs heal, a physical therapist can teach you breathing exercises. She can also help you maintain range of motion in arm and shoulder joints.

Intercostal Nerve Blocks

Special injections with local anesthetic can temporarily relieve pain.

For lots more information on rib fractures, click here: http://www.empowher.com/media/reference/rib-fracture

If you feel something poking at your back, it could be that part of your rip is not healing properly. Are you going for checkups as you heal? You need to mention this to your doctor or actually call him/her to let him know what you are feeling, in case you've had a refracture although ribs tend to settle back into position pretty well.