Bones & Joints

Bones & Joints Guide

ask: What can I do about a basket cyst on the back of my knee?

I also have pain all around my knee yet the Dr.s claim I have little evidence of arthiritis

Hi there, Anon,

A Baker’s cyst is a localized accumulation of synovial fluid (joint fluid) behind the knee. It results from abnormal swelling of a bursa in that location. A bursa is a fluid-filled sac that normally decreases friction (resulting from the movement of joints) between tendons, muscles, and bones.

Often, no treatment is necessary, since many Baker’s cysts resolve on their own within a two-year period.. Talk with your doctor about the best treatment plan for you. Treatment options include:

Draining excess knee fluid
Medications to relieve pain and inflammation such as nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs)
Resting and elevating the leg
Physical therapy to help strengthen tendon
Pain medications
Wearing an elastic bandage (ie, knee brace)
Surgery is required to remove large cysts and to repair tears in the meniscus
Needle aspiration particularly effect in children
Joint injection with steroids

For more information, visit our Baker's Cyst page: http://www.empowher.com/media/reference/bakers-cyst

Wishing you the best,

Rosa

Who do you trust for making healthy living/lifestyle choices? :