Bones & Joints

Bones & Joints Guide

ask: What causes a clicking sound in the neck?

By Michelle King Robson Expert HERWriter

Hi everyone,

I was having lunch today with a good friend of mine and she was telling me how she's been having this really weird clicking sound in her neck that she notices when she turns her head from side to side.

I asked her more about it and she said as far as she can tell she is the only one who can hear it, it came on suddenly, and she does not have pain or numbness or anything.

She spends a lot of time on the computer and I'm voting for poor posture contributing to a neck issue of some type. She said that lately when she kind of rolls her head around she can make her neck kind of do a popping thing. She said she's also under a lot of stress lately so she's wondering if that's part of it.

Does anyone else here have a clicking neck when you turn your head? If so, did it go away on its own or did you need to see a doctor and or a chiropractor? I want to try to help my friend if we can. Thanks everyone! Michelle

Anonymous

hello friends .
iv read and look alot at the internet how i can cure my neck after he poping and cracking more then 3 monthes - at almost every movement that im doing.
please do follow those yoga exersices 3 times a day exacly like this guy at the video does ( dont forget to seat like him and breath like him) and you will improoved very fast and your sound poping will appear almost totally like i am after i made those exersices.
buy the way i recommend on his videos for more several healthy issues problems especialy at the spine and joints. take care!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xKfs8WKWx4

KittyKat82

My neck would crack every single time I turned my head for the last 4 months. 3 times when I look to the left and once to the right. I tried everything and it would never even improve. About a month ago, I went to a chiropractor and his adjustment didn't help at all but he told me everything is just so tight. All everyone I would see would tell me to strengthen my muscles and his comment got me thinking that maybe I shortened my tendons because I was always stressing with my shoulders up to my ears so for the last month I've been stretching my neck every wich way (mostly straight down while pulling to get more of a stretch on the back of my head) and in the first 24 hours it stopped cracking or clicking to the right and to the left it was only cracking once!! I was so happy but the one click to the left was still driving me crazy!! Yesterday my cracking stopped all together!!! The only reason I can think of is I started stretching my arm straight across me while grabbing it with my other arm and it really hit my back where I'm really tight, I think that stretched out the last tight tendon. My doctor said I would always have the cracking but I'm happy to say he was wrong! BTW the cracking sound in my neck was so loud everyone around me could hear it and cringe, so embarrassing!!

Anonymous

I get this clicking sound in my neck. Sometimes if I keep my head forwards for a long time then turn it it would do a big click and really hurt please help because I don't want to tell my mum and dad, or my sister about it and I want it the get better ASAP. I don't know how I got it. But far as I can remember the big hurt when I turn my head has been happening since I started KS2. He little clicking has been happening for a year. At night when I go to bed I can't sleep because I think I'm going to die! Please help me get better sleep!!!

Anonymous

I get that also, a Chiropractor I went to did a x-ray and told me it is a bone spur.

Anonymous

Ho everyone, I too have this popping/clicking in my neck, it just started but I've had a numbing/sometimes stiffness In the back of my neck, the pain started yesterday with the popping and clicking. I carry a heavy backpack daily of about 20-25 lbs for night s hool. Do you think maybe this could be the cause? A long with the excessive stress In my life?

My chiropractor told me that wearing a heavy backpack and/or using a computer with the incorrect monitor height can cause a thing called forward head posture. this basically means what it sounds like. your head leans a bit/lot forwards and as a result your shoulders round forwards too. I'd recommend going to a chiropractor they can recommend simple exercises that can help you correct this at home.

Anonymous

Hi my name is Michelle and my clicking neck sounds started about a month in a half ago .. I've done neck rolling exercises from left to right that doesn't help.but it's pretty annoying I can't stand to hear that click click sound when I turn my neck, I've noticed when I turn it to the right I hear that annoying click sound. but I will take the advice I've been reading and sit up straight to improve my posture..thanks everyone

Anonymous

I had that problem and went to a atlas orthagonal chiropractor. They have special equipment and training to adjust the atlas bone at the base of the skull. It was instantly better and after it healed in 2 months it was 95% better. The grinding stopped and the clicking is minimal. Worked wonders for me so I took my whole family. I am a musician and crane my neck to play all the time. I almost had to quit but life is good now.

Anonymous

Hi,
I get a strange quiet click in my neck when I walk too. It doesn't happen all the time. I also get general neck & shoulder aches, pains & stiffness. It is all related to poor posture & tight muscle tension due to stress & anxiety. My best advice would be to do some gentle exercises throughout the day & not be sat at the computer all day without regular breaks. Try & go to a sauna every now & then or in a hot tub if you can to warm up your muscles & help the body relax.
Under advice from my GP I go to see an osteopath NOT a chiropractor. Osteopaths have a bit more training & aim to get you better where as chiropractors keep you going to them longer.

Good luck & don't worry....it only makes it worse!

Anonymous

I've hAd this for as long as I can remember, nothing to be worried
About I'd say doesn't cause me pain or anything, maybe I should get it looked at just something I've gotten used to though

Who do you trust for making healthy living/lifestyle choices? :