Bones & Joints

Bones & Joints Guide

ask: What causes a clicking sound in the neck?

By Michelle King Robson Expert HERWriter

Hi everyone,

I was having lunch today with a good friend of mine and she was telling me how she's been having this really weird clicking sound in her neck that she notices when she turns her head from side to side.

I asked her more about it and she said as far as she can tell she is the only one who can hear it, it came on suddenly, and she does not have pain or numbness or anything.

She spends a lot of time on the computer and I'm voting for poor posture contributing to a neck issue of some type. She said that lately when she kind of rolls her head around she can make her neck kind of do a popping thing. She said she's also under a lot of stress lately so she's wondering if that's part of it.

Does anyone else here have a clicking neck when you turn your head? If so, did it go away on its own or did you need to see a doctor and or a chiropractor? I want to try to help my friend if we can. Thanks everyone! Michelle

Anonymous

Hi my name is Michelle and my clicking neck sounds started about a month in a half ago .. I've done neck rolling exercises from left to right that doesn't help.but it's pretty annoying I can't stand to hear that click click sound when I turn my neck, I've noticed when I turn it to the right I hear that annoying click sound. but I will take the advice I've been reading and sit up straight to improve my posture..thanks everyone

Anonymous

I had that problem and went to a atlas orthagonal chiropractor. They have special equipment and training to adjust the atlas bone at the base of the skull. It was instantly better and after it healed in 2 months it was 95% better. The grinding stopped and the clicking is minimal. Worked wonders for me so I took my whole family. I am a musician and crane my neck to play all the time. I almost had to quit but life is good now.

Anonymous

Hi,
I get a strange quiet click in my neck when I walk too. It doesn't happen all the time. I also get general neck & shoulder aches, pains & stiffness. It is all related to poor posture & tight muscle tension due to stress & anxiety. My best advice would be to do some gentle exercises throughout the day & not be sat at the computer all day without regular breaks. Try & go to a sauna every now & then or in a hot tub if you can to warm up your muscles & help the body relax.
Under advice from my GP I go to see an osteopath NOT a chiropractor. Osteopaths have a bit more training & aim to get you better where as chiropractors keep you going to them longer.

Good luck & don't worry....it only makes it worse!

Anonymous

I've hAd this for as long as I can remember, nothing to be worried
About I'd say doesn't cause me pain or anything, maybe I should get it looked at just something I've gotten used to though

Anonymous

I'm only 19 and I've had the same condition for a few months now. The only advice I can give is to keep a straight posture throughout the day; this isn't a cure, but to perhaps keep it from getting worse. Keep your head held straight-up high, refrain from slouching or looking-down for too long. Whenever I do that, I rarely hear this noise at all. Definitely related to poor posture/old age/accidents. I think it's a rather serious condition considering the possible symptoms you could get from it if made worse. Find what else is causing it and eliminate it from your daily routine. Of course, you could also see a chiropractor or a doctor but just make sure it's a good one.

Anonymous

I think the main problem in this issue is the bad posture. I started to wearing bifocal glasses, because I have-to read from the inferior side of the glasses, my neck must be rise a little, as a consequence, I am suffering of daily pain in my neck, I hear all the time crunching sound or clicking sound, and sometime I must force the muscle to turn the head down because sometime look palatalized or locked.

Go get checked - I had some of those symptoms and had a TIA - mini stroke

Anonymous

The same thing is happening to me. My parents said it's because I sleep with a lot of pillows which is bad for my neck, and also because I keep my neck stiff when I play Video Games for many hours. When I fix these problems, my neck is perfectly fine. I think this is the problem.

Anonymous

I have had some noise in my neck for years as when I was about 10 one my friends brother hit me on the head with a coke bottle..when that happened My neck could be heard across the room... that went away mostly after a short time...no doctor was told about it...I have tried to get the Chiropractor to work on my neck but non with do it...lately it is louder so I asked my young Doctor about it he said the noise is tendons...

Anonymous

A lot of fibromyalgia sufferers have pain the the neck and the back of the head. They also experience cracking/popping sounds when they move the neck around. It is always wise to seek medical assistance with anything that is ' out of the normal for you'

Who do you trust for making healthy living/lifestyle choices? :