Bones & Joints

Bones & Joints Guide

ask: What causes a clicking sound in the neck?

By Michelle King Robson Expert HERWriter

Hi everyone,

I was having lunch today with a good friend of mine and she was telling me how she's been having this really weird clicking sound in her neck that she notices when she turns her head from side to side.

I asked her more about it and she said as far as she can tell she is the only one who can hear it, it came on suddenly, and she does not have pain or numbness or anything.

She spends a lot of time on the computer and I'm voting for poor posture contributing to a neck issue of some type. She said that lately when she kind of rolls her head around she can make her neck kind of do a popping thing. She said she's also under a lot of stress lately so she's wondering if that's part of it.

Does anyone else here have a clicking neck when you turn your head? If so, did it go away on its own or did you need to see a doctor and or a chiropractor? I want to try to help my friend if we can. Thanks everyone! Michelle

Anonymous

I've hAd this for as long as I can remember, nothing to be worried
About I'd say doesn't cause me pain or anything, maybe I should get it looked at just something I've gotten used to though

Anonymous

I'm only 19 and I've had the same condition for a few months now. The only advice I can give is to keep a straight posture throughout the day; this isn't a cure, but to perhaps keep it from getting worse. Keep your head held straight-up high, refrain from slouching or looking-down for too long. Whenever I do that, I rarely hear this noise at all. Definitely related to poor posture/old age/accidents. I think it's a rather serious condition considering the possible symptoms you could get from it if made worse. Find what else is causing it and eliminate it from your daily routine. Of course, you could also see a chiropractor or a doctor but just make sure it's a good one.

Anonymous

I think the main problem in this issue is the bad posture. I started to wearing bifocal glasses, because I have-to read from the inferior side of the glasses, my neck must be rise a little, as a consequence, I am suffering of daily pain in my neck, I hear all the time crunching sound or clicking sound, and sometime I must force the muscle to turn the head down because sometime look palatalized or locked.

Anonymous

The same thing is happening to me. My parents said it's because I sleep with a lot of pillows which is bad for my neck, and also because I keep my neck stiff when I play Video Games for many hours. When I fix these problems, my neck is perfectly fine. I think this is the problem.

Anonymous

I have had some noise in my neck for years as when I was about 10 one my friends brother hit me on the head with a coke bottle..when that happened My neck could be heard across the room... that went away mostly after a short time...no doctor was told about it...I have tried to get the Chiropractor to work on my neck but non with do it...lately it is louder so I asked my young Doctor about it he said the noise is tendons...

Anonymous

A lot of fibromyalgia sufferers have pain the the neck and the back of the head. They also experience cracking/popping sounds when they move the neck around. It is always wise to seek medical assistance with anything that is ' out of the normal for you'

Anonymous

I have had my neck clicking for about 6 years now ( I'm 22).
It first happened when I was playing man hunt with friends when I was about 15. As I turned my head to look behind me, my head felt like it dislocated and I got a burning sensation up the back of my neck. Since then when ever I played netball the same thing would happen occasionally until it started to happen every time I played so I stopped. Now I have been left with this click in my neck. I though it went away but I think I just learnt to ignore it. Every time I move my head left to right.
I have never been to the doctors due to being a bit of a scaredy cat and every time I told my mum she was never inclined to take me so I just never went.
I do have bad posture and if I have been shopping for a while and have lots of bags then the top of my back ( just at the base of my neck) I start to get a sharp pain and it starts to go abit numb. This is the first time I have googled it ( I have been to scared to learn the results ) lol

Anonymous

Hi guys, it's good to see some positive feedback coming into this thread, I think we are actually getting to the bottom of this which is that this is posture/ muscle and stress related. The more we stress the tighter we get and the more pressure we put on our bodies. I have now had the clicking from 1 year, always hope deep down that I can one day get rid of it so I try to focus on my posture though it's hard. I have signed up for soccer and I want to become stronger I think this mixed with some physio and time hopefully I can start to see results.

Mine all started randomly and I'm sure it will go away for all of us in time.

tessalyn

hi..im also have the clicking on my neck when I turn to the right and the left.I went to orthopedics doctor and he said my neck is flaming..and he prescribed me with some inflammation medicines and cream to apply to my neck,he also told me to take physical therapy twice a week,since I cant afford physical therapy..i do my own therapy at home..i do hot packs first and then my husband massage my whole neck and back for 30 minutes..then after I used a cold pack on my neck..my neck is very tight and stiff,and the clicking sound annoys me and taken all my energy..i feel tired and very irritated due to the stress level that I have over my clicking neck..i too want to quit my job to get all the rest that I needed..so hopefully my way of doing my therapy work because im tired of this clicking neck..

Anonymous (reply to tessalyn)

It is Lyme Disease. If your clicks, painful, pain never goes away even after many massages or physical therapies, tiredness, frustration and anger are all the initial phases of Lyme symptoms. If you leave it like that you eventually cannot tolerate heat and it gets to your nerves. Blood work for Lyme gets negative, I don't rely on that , neither doctors deny to prescribe antiviral , but , if. Any doctor listens to you, tell him you want to try for a week, if you really got symptoms , your neck pain goes in a day , your weakness persist.if that is true observe the symptoms and take more medication, docs generally treat for a month. But sometimes it takes more than that to get ride of it . I went to Hot Yoga to cleans and fix the problem!! Nothing. Like hot yoga when have physical therapy problems. Good luck!!

Who do you trust for making healthy living/lifestyle choices? :