Q: 

What causes a clicking sound in the neck?

By Expert HERWriter September 20, 2009 - 9:58pm

Hi everyone,

I was having lunch today with a good friend of mine and she was telling me how she's been having this really weird clicking sound in her neck that she notices when she turns her head from side to side.

I asked her more about it and she said as far as she can tell she is the only one who can hear it, it came on suddenly, and she does not have pain or numbness or anything.

She spends a lot of time on the computer and I'm voting for poor posture contributing to a neck issue of some type. She said that lately when she kind of rolls her head around she can make her neck kind of do a popping thing. She said she's also under a lot of stress lately so she's wondering if that's part of it.

Does anyone else here have a clicking neck when you turn your head? If so, did it go away on its own or did you need to see a doctor and or a chiropractor? I want to try to help my friend if we can. Thanks everyone! Michelle

Anonymous

Has anyone had this get any better? If so, what helped? If not, what did you try? Hoping there is hope for me that this will stop. :(

Anonymous

what you described is what i am experiencing. It started happening out of the blue one day. I have had it now for over a year. When I turn my head in a circle or side to side I get these clicking sounds similar to those guys in kung Fu movies. The thing is only I can actually hear these clicking sounds nobody else can. I have now been diagnosed with a hernia in the neck and the beginings of arthritis after an xray and MRI scan. I am really worried as I am in alot of pain mainly in my neck as i sit on a computer at work all day. I have also put weight on and now I am obese. Does anybody know what to do as my Doctor said I can have an injection in the spine area which is risky, mild forms of anti depressant and epileptic tablets which ease the pain apparently, physio, neck excercises. Most of these are not feasible I think. I have dropped down in work productivity and I live with constant pain all the time, please help if you have any remedies or suggetsions.

Maj, UK

Hi, I was wondering if the neck cracking went away for you? If so, what do you think helped it? If not, what have you tried to help get rid of it? So desperate to get rid of this neck cracking.

Has it gotten any better? If so, what helped? If not, what did you try? Hoping there is hope for me that this will stop. :(

Hi Maj

I'm sorry you're in so much pain.

I highly recommend physical therapy. Ask your doctor for a referral and to have your medical records sent over the PT clinic. PT can work wonders and your therapist will be able to give you exercises to do at home.

PT is a financial ripoff

Anonymous

When I'm.sitting still my back.of.my neck starts clicking or making a popping sound so annoying should I seek medical.help

Guide (reply to Anonymous)

Consider speaking with your primary care physician.

Regards,

Hi, My name is josh, My neck clicks 3 times when I turn it to the left, id there any exercises or therapy I can practice to make it go away.

HERWriter Guide (reply to Josh Ceranic)

Hi Josh

Because we don't know why you have this clicking sound, you would need an examination to know why it's happening to know what kind of treatment you need. Consult your doctor.