Why do my shins hurt when rubbed

When I get a pedicure my legs get a message. It is a painful process but why?

Your massage therapist may be using too much pressure on your legs and causing pain.

Or you may have something called shin splints - something I have dealt with and many others have too.

Generically speaking, shin splints refer to any pain in the lower, front part of the leg. More accurately, however, true shin splints occur at the front inside of the shin bone and can stem from a host of causes, the most common of which is the inflammation of the sheath surrounding the shin bone, also known as periostium of the tibia.

You can read more about shin splints here and see if you think they pertain to what you're feeling: http://www.empowher.com/bones-amp-joints/content/what-are-shin-splints