leg gives way for no reason causes sharp pain in groin area, what is this

By Anonymous February 5, 2010 - 12:44pm

Anonymous

I have been having a problem with my right side, my right arm and fingers tingle and feel numb, has been about 4 months now. My right leg has no pain but for the last 6 month others have noticed that I now walk with a limp. I started noticing my leg lagging again no pain.My leg appears to be getting worse and seems to have a mind of its own. I have had MRI, Hip Xray, blood work etc. and am told I am in excellent health. Dr. can't seem to figure it out and wants me to go to physical therapy. The other day I was at the movie theater and when I stood up to leave, my right leg would now move, bend or anything. It took about 7 minutes for me to actually start walking again no pain what so ever, I have noticed I am able to only walk about a block and then my legs starts feeling very heavy and it seems like I have to force. I have just asked Dr. to refer me to Neurologist instead of Therapy, there is something worng and I feel it.

So went to Ortho Doctor instead, took more MRI of spine and I have degenerative disk # 4,5,6,7, in my neck which is causing the numbness.MRI looks really bad to me. Was referred to Neuro surgeon who explained all. and said I need this surgery ASAP as a fall or accident could mean a lot of pain or wheelchair. So have had 2 specialist tell me same. I have checked out Dr and all, know several people who has had spinal surgery at Duke and with this Dr. I am having it July 6th, the leg will be dealt with afterwards.

The neurological consult is a good idea. Your symptoms are similar to my aunt's who was ultimately diagnosed with Parkinson's. A good thing to rule out.

Anonymous

Iam having a scan on Tuesday because of pain and my left leg giving out ,shocking pain in my shin bone my groin I dont know what this is so frustrating ,some advise please as to why this is happening ,

You may have nerve damage, a break in your bone or some other issue. It's too broad to really speculate. I hope your scan goes well tomorrow and you can get a diagnosis and treatment as soon as possible. 

Anonymous

I have had a intermittent limp when I am overtired and stressed since childhood and was paralyzed as a small child on vacation in Florida for a day spent in the hospital which they diagnosed as a cold in my hip coming down from Canada. I have Fibromyalgia and a pissed off hip from the walking I have been doing. The excruciating pain in my right groin as I go to take a step and the loss of support in my right leg as it is to painful to stand on and the resultant limp are becoming more frequent. I have also not been able to walk up stairs or inclines without excruciating pain that radiates from the back of my knees to my hips on both legs for decades. I can walk good but standing still is not good for me. My doctor has suggested a cortisone shot in my hip but I know from past shots in my neck that I have a psychotic reaction to these shots. I know I have arthritis in my lower back and buttocks area.
My doctor's solution is that I should walk the stairs more. I already live on the fourth floor and suffer agonizing pain several times a day. What do you think?

Tracy
54

Hi Tracy

I'm sorry a cortisone shot won't be good for you as they can work really well. 

I think your doctor telling you to keep climbing stairs when it's excruciating is a bit ridiculous.  Is there anyway you can move to an elevator building? Or to a ground floor in your building (if you rent)?

One suggestion I have for you is physical therapy. That can help more than anything. Have you discussed this with your doctor?

I hope to hear back from you soon!

Anonymous

I was diagnosed with a torn labrum 5 years ago, I had an injection ( cortisone) which helped alleviate the pain for a long time. The symptoms I was experiencing wars pain in the groin and my leg giving way, just on my right side. Just recently the giving way and pain in my groin has returned. The pain was traveling down my thigh and lower leg, also in my right buttock. In June I had another cortisone injection, it relieved the pain for a while 2 weeks actually, now the giving way has come back with a vengeance and the groin pain. I also have bulging discs in my spine the orthodox have told me I need a hip replacement, I'm not so sure.....any ideas anyone ?? Thanks.

Thanks for your post and I am sorry your pain has reappeared, despite another cortisone shot. 

The torn cartilage may have degenerated even more, causing this pain and the cortisone not to work.

Have you been checked for sciatica?

Anonymous

sounds like a labrum tear in your hip.... arthrogram is the only way to tell for sure - "Thomas or Faber" manual test can tell you a lot. Dr Byrd in Nashville is the leader in arthroscopic hip surgery...
goodluck