Bones & Joints

Bones & Joints Guide

ask: leg gives way for no reason causes sharp pain in groin area, what is this

Anonymous

I was diagnosed with a torn labrum 5 years ago, I had an injection ( cortisone) which helped alleviate the pain for a long time. The symptoms I was experiencing wars pain in the groin and my leg giving way, just on my right side. Just recently the giving way and pain in my groin has returned. The pain was traveling down my thigh and lower leg, also in my right buttock. In June I had another cortisone injection, it relieved the pain for a while 2 weeks actually, now the giving way has come back with a vengeance and the groin pain. I also have bulging discs in my spine the orthodox have told me I need a hip replacement, I'm not so sure.....any ideas anyone ?? Thanks.

Susan Cody HERWriter Guide (reply to Anonymous)

Thanks for your post and I am sorry your pain has reappeared, despite another cortisone shot. 

The torn cartilage may have degenerated even more, causing this pain and the cortisone not to work.

Have you been checked for sciatica?

Anonymous

sounds like a labrum tear in your hip.... arthrogram is the only way to tell for sure - "Thomas or Faber" manual test can tell you a lot. Dr Byrd in Nashville is the leader in arthroscopic hip surgery...
goodluck

Anonymous

ow my gosh i am haveing the exsact same pain but i am onlky 15 the hospital have put me on crutches and still do not know whats wronge there is just the worst pain that shoot down the back of my leg frome my right side hip down causeing my leg to give way cause the pain is so bad so far i have fallen and hurt my nose and both my hands trying to catch my self i am going to see a spealist so hopefully it will get sorted dose anyone know what cause this/

Anonymous

I was X-rayed and told that I should have a hip replacement. I opted for a less invasive guided cortizone shot in the hip. It was semi-successful. It convinced me that I will have the hip replaced because the pain relief is nominal and my hip is now causing me moments where the left leg just gives out. I feel that I will fall down but after a body dip of about 30% it suddenly recover and I stand. This may happen several times, in succession, and then not bother again.At least I,m totally convinced that hip replacement is the right thing to do.

Anonymous

Quite possible it's Sciatica. I have had the same pain too, ever since I delivered my second child, tho having children isn't a requirement for the condition. The pain can shoot down from your back, your hip, or straight into your leg. I was so bad at one point that I would colapse in the middle of a parking lot or walking along in a store. Sitting didn't help either. There isn't a lot you can do about it, if thats the case. Pain meds, like anti-inflamatory's NSAIDS( Advil) and warm compress will help ease the pain as well. Goodluck.

Anonymous

My leg gives out a little when I walk in the upper right thigh and I did it on the first day of dance tryouts . Do you think I could still go to the rest of the tryouts without making it worse?

Thanks for your post but this is something we cannot answer. You would need to ask your doctor this.

Good luck and take it easy on your leg until it's stronger!

Anonymous

Hi i know this reply is a bit late after your posts, but i have important info, if it is a weakness from an injury like my problem there is only one thing to do and that is strengthening the muscles. I was recommended yoga and now if i do yoga regularly the pain goes away, if i dont do yoga for around ten days my right leg starts to weaken from the top of the thigh, i will go to stand up and i have to stay still for a moment and carefully place my foot on the floor and wait before moving otherwise i have a sharp weird pain where the muscle meets the hip. I was diagnosed with a nudged hip bone and the muscles surrounding it have been stretched and damaged, but i will never know for sure without an xray. Since doing Yoga i do not care really as every time i do it i can feel the strength and stability returning to my leg! I swear by it.
I do hot yoga, but any yoga is good as long as its powerful - eg power flow, barkham method. Its the warrior and chair poses that do the best strengthening so you can even do it at home and youtube a class on the computer!

Anonymous

Oh I have this too,

Pain in the crease at top of my left leg. Right in the hip joint. LEg gives way and I cant put it to the floor or put pressure on it for the pain. Cant straighten it either. Like other posters have limped around and "managed"
Dr says muscle problems. Take brufen and that was it. I had to live with it!

Who do you trust for making healthy living/lifestyle choices? :