Bones & Joints

Bones & Joints Guide

ask: leg gives way for no reason causes sharp pain in groin area, what is this

Anonymous

I have had a intermittent limp when I am overtired and stressed since childhood and was paralyzed as a small child on vacation in Florida for a day spent in the hospital which they diagnosed as a cold in my hip coming down from Canada. I have Fibromyalgia and a pissed off hip from the walking I have been doing. The excruciating pain in my right groin as I go to take a step and the loss of support in my right leg as it is to painful to stand on and the resultant limp are becoming more frequent. I have also not been able to walk up stairs or inclines without excruciating pain that radiates from the back of my knees to my hips on both legs for decades. I can walk good but standing still is not good for me. My doctor has suggested a cortisone shot in my hip but I know from past shots in my neck that I have a psychotic reaction to these shots. I know I have arthritis in my lower back and buttocks area.
My doctor's solution is that I should walk the stairs more. I already live on the fourth floor and suffer agonizing pain several times a day. What do you think?

Tracy
54

Susan Cody HERWriter Guide (reply to Anonymous)

Hi Tracy

I'm sorry a cortisone shot won't be good for you as they can work well. 

Have you asked about a steroid shot?

I think your doctor telling you to keep climbing stairs when it's excruciating is a bit ridiculous.  Is there anyway you can move to an elevator building? Or to a ground floor in your building (if you rent)?

One suggestion I have for you is physical therapy. That can help more than anything. Have you discussed this with your doctor?

I hope to hear back from you soon!

Anonymous

I was diagnosed with a torn labrum 5 years ago, I had an injection ( cortisone) which helped alleviate the pain for a long time. The symptoms I was experiencing wars pain in the groin and my leg giving way, just on my right side. Just recently the giving way and pain in my groin has returned. The pain was traveling down my thigh and lower leg, also in my right buttock. In June I had another cortisone injection, it relieved the pain for a while 2 weeks actually, now the giving way has come back with a vengeance and the groin pain. I also have bulging discs in my spine the orthodox have told me I need a hip replacement, I'm not so sure.....any ideas anyone ?? Thanks.

Thanks for your post and I am sorry your pain has reappeared, despite another cortisone shot. 

The torn cartilage may have degenerated even more, causing this pain and the cortisone not to work.

Have you been checked for sciatica?

Anonymous

sounds like a labrum tear in your hip.... arthrogram is the only way to tell for sure - "Thomas or Faber" manual test can tell you a lot. Dr Byrd in Nashville is the leader in arthroscopic hip surgery...
goodluck

Anonymous

ow my gosh i am haveing the exsact same pain but i am onlky 15 the hospital have put me on crutches and still do not know whats wronge there is just the worst pain that shoot down the back of my leg frome my right side hip down causeing my leg to give way cause the pain is so bad so far i have fallen and hurt my nose and both my hands trying to catch my self i am going to see a spealist so hopefully it will get sorted dose anyone know what cause this/

Anonymous

I was X-rayed and told that I should have a hip replacement. I opted for a less invasive guided cortizone shot in the hip. It was semi-successful. It convinced me that I will have the hip replaced because the pain relief is nominal and my hip is now causing me moments where the left leg just gives out. I feel that I will fall down but after a body dip of about 30% it suddenly recover and I stand. This may happen several times, in succession, and then not bother again.At least I,m totally convinced that hip replacement is the right thing to do.

Anonymous

Quite possible it's Sciatica. I have had the same pain too, ever since I delivered my second child, tho having children isn't a requirement for the condition. The pain can shoot down from your back, your hip, or straight into your leg. I was so bad at one point that I would colapse in the middle of a parking lot or walking along in a store. Sitting didn't help either. There isn't a lot you can do about it, if thats the case. Pain meds, like anti-inflamatory's NSAIDS( Advil) and warm compress will help ease the pain as well. Goodluck.

Anonymous

My leg gives out a little when I walk in the upper right thigh and I did it on the first day of dance tryouts . Do you think I could still go to the rest of the tryouts without making it worse?

Thanks for your post but this is something we cannot answer. You would need to ask your doctor this.

Good luck and take it easy on your leg until it's stronger!

Who do you trust for making healthy living/lifestyle choices? :