Q: 

Pain in my left foot makes it unbearable to walk on it

I had been doing a work out a few weeks ago and up till this week I could walk no problem. This week, however, it has become painful to walk on my whole foot, with the pain being in the middle to left of my left foot. I can't work out because I can't put any pressure on it. I've been walking on my tippy toes for the past few days and that seems to make it bearable to walk, but when I finally have to put my whole foot down it is simply painful. No visible signs of anything; No bruising, no redness, I don't feel sick, it's just the foot.

Any ideas of what the problem is or how to help it?

Thanks!

Anonymous

Hello! I have had a problem with my left foot for the past 4 days. If I put any pressure into my foot I get a shooting pain in the arch of my foot and then my whole foot hurts. Even if I'm lying in bed my foot still hurts really bad. The doctor said nothing's wrong but I don't believe that. Can anyone help?
Thanks!

Its plantar fasciitis
Means inflamation near the arch so when you put your foot flat on grond the tendon stretches which causes pain
Always keep the foot on a arch shoe with heal and DONT walk flat on floor Clarks are the best solution to these problems it will take time for inflammation to settle

Anonymous

Hello! I was diagnosed with a stress fracture of the second metatarsal about 3 months ago. Since then, I have used crutches, walking boot etc. I did my time using those. A couple of days ago the unbearable pain started again like I had with my stress fracture. Nothing shows up on xrays, only on a bone scan. Do you think I could have fractured it again or is there another underlying problem? I am in college and do not actively run or am not overweight. I use the squishy soles in my shoes to support my arches. I just cannot figure out why its hurting again. It is extremely unbearable pain that I cannot apply pressure on.
Thank you!

Hello Anon

I'm sorry this has happened to you again - how frustrating.

Unfortunately we can't say what happened - it sound like you may need another scan.

Hello,
Okay, yeah that's what I was thinking. It makes me mad because I went to a podiatrist who told me it was healed and obviously it wasn't or it fractured again. All he did was look at X-rays and say nope nothing there. I'm thinking of going to another podiatrist soon. Do you think that would be in my best interest?

Anonymous

Hi, I have been working for 4 years at a local hardware store. I'm 22 and for most of the 4 years, I wore sandals and things of that sort to work everyday on concrete floors. It didn't bother me. People always made comments about how it must hurt, but it honestly didn't. It does now! It was a gradual thing over the past year. When I wake up in the mornings, my left foot is almost unbearable to apply pressure to. Sitting it doesn't hurt a bit. But if I spread out my toes, it shoots sharp pains throughout my foot. I can't apply pressure or even rotate my foot without pain! What did I do to my foot?

It sounds like you've been wearing shoes with no arch support and are feeling the consequences.

Fallen arches can be brought on through foot abuse, such as standing or walking for appreciable amounts of time in high heels; wearing shoes that do not allow for proper arch support; or they can occur simply due to weakened muscles brought on by aging or heavy strain placed upon the feet. It’s no surprise, then, that being overweight could be a highly contributing factor.

When the muscles, ligaments, and tendons that support the arch of the foot are not functioning properly, then the arch cannot work to the best of its ability. Over time, these muscles, ligaments, and tendons may become stretched and unable to uphold the arch. Fallen arches are basically the failure of these elements to support the arch of the foot.

Fallen arches can contribute to a host of problems. If the foot remains flat throughout each step, the re-locking of the joints in the mid-foot fails to occur. As a result, the foot cannot push off strongly while walking. When the foot cannot be a strong lever for push-off, this engages the calf muscles, making them work harder.

In fact, bulky calf muscles are typical on someone with fallen arches. By the end of the day, these muscles may feel tired and sore from being over-worked while making up for lack of effective foot function.

Flat feet can also contribute to heel pain, or plantar’s fasciitis. Moving right on up, lack of arch support in the foot can lead to pain in the ankle joints, the knee, the hip, and the lower back. Without proper alignment at your foundation, everything can become skewed.

When flat feet cause the foot to be rotated all the way to the floor (over-pronation), the bones of the ankle joint are forced out of alignment. This, in turn, causes the tibia and femur that connect at the knee joint to become misaligned. The body’s joints require proper alignment as a means to evenly disperse body weight over the whole surface of the joint. When the body weight is evenly distributed, the cartilage provides easy, pain-free movement of the joints.

When that cartilage becomes stressed or overloaded because the joints are not balanced, it can contribute to the painful wear and tear of the joints, which is also referred to as osteoarthritis. This is a leading cause of chronic knee pain.

For most people, getting a pair of shoes with ample support and stability is the first order of business.

It is important to use insoles that not only support the arch but that help to add stability to the heel. Some cases may require surgical intervention to stabilize the bones and improve foot support and overall function. A consultation with a qualified podiatrist or orthopedic surgeon would be a good first step.

Hi, sorry to correct you, but shoes do not cause flat-feet! You are either born with them or not. They can also be hereditary, ask my two sons, neither are impressed with that part of my genetics. Both have been medically diagnosed and were prescribed arch supports. Their mum is not so well behaved, she loves her high heels. (But did wear them as a child).
Unfortunately, am recovering from a stress fracture of the second metatarsal, 12 weeks on and I still cannot put full weight on it. Have MRI scan next week to see what else is going on. My orthopaedic specialist is not happy with it.
If you are in any doubt or pain, always get it checked or ask for a second opinion, stress and hairline fractures rarely show up on X-rays.

Anonymous

I recently blocked a slap shot in hockey with the inside of my foot and there was mild bruising and I couldn't walk for the rest of the day, there wasn't that much bruising it was a little purple and brown maybe some red in there but when I press on the bruise it doesn't hurt at all, however when I twist my (left) foot it hurts but when I put pressure on the balls of my feet or toes I get a sharp pain and this makes it hard to walk run or jump

Guide (reply to Anonymous)

You need to have that foot x-rayed. The discoloration is the result of damage to blood vessels and will resolve with time. But, the pain cannot be ignored.

Regards,