ask: Pain in my left foot makes it unbearable to walk on it

I had been doing a work out a few weeks ago and up till this week I could walk no problem. This week, however, it has become painful to walk on my whole foot, with the pain being in the middle to left of my left foot. I can't work out because I can't put any pressure on it. I've been walking on my tippy toes for the past few days and that seems to make it bearable to walk, but when I finally have to put my whole foot down it is simply painful. No visible signs of anything; No bruising, no redness, I don't feel sick, it's just the foot.

Any ideas of what the problem is or how to help it?

Hi, I have been working for 4 years at a local hardware store. I'm 22 and for most of the 4 years, I wore sandals and things of that sort to work everyday on concrete floors. It didn't bother me. People always made comments about how it must hurt, but it honestly didn't. It does now! It was a gradual thing over the past year. When I wake up in the mornings, my left foot is almost unbearable to apply pressure to. Sitting it doesn't hurt a bit. But if I spread out my toes, it shoots sharp pains throughout my foot. I can't apply pressure or even rotate my foot without pain! What did I do to my foot?

Susan Cody HERWriter Guide (reply to Anonymous)

It sounds like you've been wearing shoes with no arch support and are feeling the consequences.

Fallen arches can be brought on through foot abuse, such as standing or walking for appreciable amounts of time in high heels; wearing shoes that do not allow for proper arch support; or they can occur simply due to weakened muscles brought on by aging or heavy strain placed upon the feet. It’s no surprise, then, that being overweight could be a highly contributing factor.

When the muscles, ligaments, and tendons that support the arch of the foot are not functioning properly, then the arch cannot work to the best of its ability. Over time, these muscles, ligaments, and tendons may become stretched and unable to uphold the arch. Fallen arches are basically the failure of these elements to support the arch of the foot.

Fallen arches can contribute to a host of problems. If the foot remains flat throughout each step, the re-locking of the joints in the mid-foot fails to occur. As a result, the foot cannot push off strongly while walking. When the foot cannot be a strong lever for push-off, this engages the calf muscles, making them work harder.

In fact, bulky calf muscles are typical on someone with fallen arches. By the end of the day, these muscles may feel tired and sore from being over-worked while making up for lack of effective foot function.

Flat feet can also contribute to heel pain, or plantar’s fasciitis. Moving right on up, lack of arch support in the foot can lead to pain in the ankle joints, the knee, the hip, and the lower back. Without proper alignment at your foundation, everything can become skewed.

When flat feet cause the foot to be rotated all the way to the floor (over-pronation), the bones of the ankle joint are forced out of alignment. This, in turn, causes the tibia and femur that connect at the knee joint to become misaligned. The body’s joints require proper alignment as a means to evenly disperse body weight over the whole surface of the joint. When the body weight is evenly distributed, the cartilage provides easy, pain-free movement of the joints.

When that cartilage becomes stressed or overloaded because the joints are not balanced, it can contribute to the painful wear and tear of the joints, which is also referred to as osteoarthritis. This is a leading cause of chronic knee pain.

For most people, getting a pair of shoes with ample support and stability is the first order of business.

It is important to use insoles that not only support the arch but that help to add stability to the heel. Some cases may require surgical intervention to stabilize the bones and improve foot support and overall function. A consultation with a qualified podiatrist or orthopedic surgeon would be a good first step.

I recently blocked a slap shot in hockey with the inside of my foot and there was mild bruising and I couldn't walk for the rest of the day, there wasn't that much bruising it was a little purple and brown maybe some red in there but when I press on the bruise it doesn't hurt at all, however when I twist my (left) foot it hurts but when I put pressure on the balls of my feet or toes I get a sharp pain and this makes it hard to walk run or jump

Maryann Gromisch RN Guide (reply to Anonymous)

You need to have that foot x-rayed. The discoloration is the result of damage to blood vessels and will resolve with time. But, the pain cannot be ignored.

Okay, so im 14, and i like to climb trees xD. i jumped out of a tree (landed on my feet) but now if i was to press/put pressure on the side or even walk properly on my left foot there is a sharp pain. my mum doesn't think its serious but its really sore. any answers to what it might be?? or to help ease the pain?
thanks ~ anonymous

Our feet contain many bones and you may have fractured one of them - OR - your foot could simply still be sore due to the impact of the fall. If your foot is still in pain in the next few days, you really do need to see a doctor for an examination.

My left foot hurts all the time but my mum won't take me to the doctor. Only hurts ocationallly
age: 14

You said your foot hurts all the time but only occasionally? That doesn't make sense.

I'm not sure why your mother won't take you to the doctor - you need medical attention to know what's going on. Other than that it's just a guessing game. Do you have a school nurse? Try asking her/him.

no one can see it, but they can feel it there, it's not a common whatever it is, been to chiropodist but after long looking at it, they could not see anything ?
Anyone else have this problem, ?
Any cure for this ??

hiiii! ok so i have some pain on the top of my left foot and when i touch it, it doesn't hurt at all. It comes and goes and it can either be really light pain or unbearable pain to the point where i have to limp to get to places. I don't know what could've provoked this pain? Its only been a couple of weeks since this has started and I exercise and run a lot, so it could be that? I don't know if i should go get it checked it with my doctor or just try some home remedies and hope for the best

Who do you trust for making healthy living/lifestyle choices? :