Bones & Joints

Bones & Joints Guide

ask: Space between 2nd and 3rd toes, L foot, is widening for no apparent reason. When I walk, I have pain in those toes and it feels as if gross swelling is taking place, but it isn't. What is this - circulation or something else?

Anonymous

I believe this is nutritional/hormonal - all my patients including me have no pain or neuromas but the following in common
1 hypothyroid longstanding
2 arthrites/fasciites/tendonitis
3 midlife
I'm an integrative gp so will continue to search other medical traditions for answer - you are only site I even see mentioning this , well done

Hi. I also have this problem w the 2nd & 3rd toes separating. Last year there was a painful burning lump on my footpad where their origin is but after a few months it went away. My feet also swell, my joints pop frequently and are often sore especially my feet. I had also noticed some months ago that when i would be standing, my left foot would be turned inward, so I would have to make a conscious effort to stand flat on that foot. I also began to wear running shoes at work for their support of my ankles. However, about a week ago my left foot turned inward on me while going down stairs and I fell. Stuff got torn in there and there was bleeding and bruising and swelling. Now the top left side of my foot is swollen, hurts, and my leg along the left side also is sore. And my toes are still separated. I am 45, have been diagnosed with hashimotos, used to have plantar fasciitis in both of my feet, am about 80-90lb overweight (cant seem to lose it no matter what I do), am in menopause, and have sensitivities that affect my blood pressure & shoot it up. I think all the stuff wrong is related but have yet to find a doctor who can help me beyond the basic things. If you are an integrative gp, I hope you are one that thinks outside the box. I also hope you find an answer. my personal opinion is that with autoimmune disease the whole body is affected and this is just one more of the many symptoms that seem unrelated. The joints, tendons, and even muscles are weakened by the body attacking itself. When the thyroid is involved, the whole body is affected. And many times hashimotos (an autoimmune disease) disguises itself as plain hypothyroidism. Like I said this is my opinion, based on observations of myself and others I know, and the research I've done. good luck with your research. Again I hope you find an answer.
DVY

I have this problem too on my left foot. I had a break in that foot a year and half ago. Fifth metatarsal. It healed in about three months. The spacing between 2nd and third toe started a few months ago. At least that is when I noticed it. The foot feels achy on the top part. I wear fit flops quite frequently since they are very comfortable to walk and stand for long periods of time. I am 55 and do not have hypothyroidism. I do have arthritis in my feet and in the mornings the ball and toe area of both hurt for awhile. I went to podiatrist who said it is not Mortons. He gave me orthotics to wear that raise up the ball of the foot so as to properly align my feet and improve my gait. My left foot feels worse while wearing these but I am going to continue wearing them for awhile. I hope it helps.

missmarri (reply to Anonymous)

I too have this problem. Years ago I severely stubbed my toe and now the middle toe on that foot literally is U shaped but both feet are affected. I am 52, have hypothyroid and a longer second toe than big toe on both feet. Podiatrist has been treating with shots in the toes but each one seems to last an even shorter time than the previous one. I do have foot pain but podiatrist is fairly certain it is not a neuroma. I am an avid runner/fast walker and praying for a solution. I tape the 2nd and third toes together but it doesn't seem to help.

Anonymous (reply to missmarri)

Hi, your symptoms are consistent with a condition named Morton's Toe. One of the key features, is the second toe being higher than the big toe. Type in Morton's Toe to research.

Ps we are of various races and racial mixtures

Anonymous

I am a private practice integrative gp and this issue occurs quietly separately from neuroma and is painless in all cases I know including myself. ...... The curious common denominator in all cases including me is hypothyroid activity longstanding so let's all look out for a more deep seated issue because in addition all women including me have tendon and tendon sheath inflammation issues)/fascisites/arthrites probably related to inflammatory cause of neuromas) . There is likely nutritional/hormonal root cause and I will now check other medical traditions for answers. Yours is the only site I even see this raised! Well done

LidiaAna

Last spring I started having a toe separation problem on my left foot between my second and 3rd toes. My second toe was beginning to rub up against my big toe. I work standing up and like to walk alot and found myself wearing fit flops 90% of the time because they are soooo comfortable. I used to have AA narrow feet and now I have between and A and a B width. I think its because my foot has begun to spread, widen, due to wearing open shoes that do not contain the foot. When I wore the shoes, my toes tended to fan out. It probably would have happened in any other opened shoe, but the fit flops were so comfortable, I wore them when I went to France and walked all over Paris in them.
I went to an orthopedic doctor this week and he said that the ligament that holds the toes together is rupturing, making it swollen under the toes, (the ball of the foot), and causing pain, burning sensation or numbness. My toes began to hammer, so there was pressure on the tips of those toes. The doctor gave me a pad with two straps on it to hold my toes together. It was uncomfortable.
Today I just wrapped the 2nd and 3rd toes together and did alot of walking in flats, and it was ok. The doctor said that I could have surgery, that might or might not work and that I'd have to be off of it for 6 wks. He also said that it might just heal itself if I tape the toes together. That's what I plan to do. Hope that happens. L.S. Dallas, TX

Anonymous

In the last year or so the 2nd, 3rd and 4th toe on right foot appear to be collapsing and folding to the right. Sometimes it feels like my foot is pulling apart between 1st and 2nd toe. After an hour or so, it becomes uncomfortable to walk. I have had an xray and MRI. The results do not indicate a Mortons Neuroma. I am scheduled to have surgery Feb 2013 to straighten my toes. Dont know if this will correct the problem since no cause has been determined. Years ago I would get a severe pain on the outside edge of my right foot. It was like someone was over tightening the muscle or ligament. I would also describe it as a labor pain.

Angie J (reply to Anonymous)

Hi, IO would really like to know what was the result of your surgery? I am looking at the same surgery but have a lot of reservations. Thank you so much. I hope you are doing well and that it was a great success. Thank you Angie .... jjblondiej@aol.com

Who do you trust for making healthy living/lifestyle choices? :