Bones & Joints

Bones & Joints Guide

ask: Space between 2nd and 3rd toes, L foot, is widening for no apparent reason. When I walk, I have pain in those toes and it feels as if gross swelling is taking place, but it isn't. What is this - circulation or something else?

LidiaAna

Last spring I started having a toe separation problem on my left foot between my second and 3rd toes. My second toe was beginning to rub up against my big toe. I work standing up and like to walk alot and found myself wearing fit flops 90% of the time because they are soooo comfortable. I used to have AA narrow feet and now I have between and A and a B width. I think its because my foot has begun to spread, widen, due to wearing open shoes that do not contain the foot. When I wore the shoes, my toes tended to fan out. It probably would have happened in any other opened shoe, but the fit flops were so comfortable, I wore them when I went to France and walked all over Paris in them.
I went to an orthopedic doctor this week and he said that the ligament that holds the toes together is rupturing, making it swollen under the toes, (the ball of the foot), and causing pain, burning sensation or numbness. My toes began to hammer, so there was pressure on the tips of those toes. The doctor gave me a pad with two straps on it to hold my toes together. It was uncomfortable.
Today I just wrapped the 2nd and 3rd toes together and did alot of walking in flats, and it was ok. The doctor said that I could have surgery, that might or might not work and that I'd have to be off of it for 6 wks. He also said that it might just heal itself if I tape the toes together. That's what I plan to do. Hope that happens. L.S. Dallas, TX

Anonymous

In the last year or so the 2nd, 3rd and 4th toe on right foot appear to be collapsing and folding to the right. Sometimes it feels like my foot is pulling apart between 1st and 2nd toe. After an hour or so, it becomes uncomfortable to walk. I have had an xray and MRI. The results do not indicate a Mortons Neuroma. I am scheduled to have surgery Feb 2013 to straighten my toes. Dont know if this will correct the problem since no cause has been determined. Years ago I would get a severe pain on the outside edge of my right foot. It was like someone was over tightening the muscle or ligament. I would also describe it as a labor pain.

Angie J (reply to Anonymous)

Hi, IO would really like to know what was the result of your surgery? I am looking at the same surgery but have a lot of reservations. Thank you so much. I hope you are doing well and that it was a great success. Thank you Angie .... jjblondiej@aol.com

That's odd Brenda, we'll look into it on our end. Thanks - it's good to know these things.

Brenda, you are wonderful - thanks for your update and response.

We actually have a Morton's Neuroma page here on Empowher! You can find it here. You may be on to something - thank you also to Anne - hurrah for our very smart readers!

http://www.empowher.com/media/reference/mortons-neuroma

Susan, Just a note to say that I sent the first question on May 6, and your response came shortly thereafter; however, the email response did not appear on my computer until the Aug. 7 date wherein, I replied. Confused as to why it took 3 months to come through. Don't know whether it's your end or mine! Brenda

Anonymous

I have spacing between my second and third toe as well and my foot is quite painful on the underside. I plan to see a Podiatrist soon, but am trying to find some information online so I will know what I can expect to hear when I do see a doctor.

I just posted a response on my initial question. Hope it helps you out. I think it must be a Morton's Neuroma (from what I've read on the web). The bandaids to pull the toes together seem to help, at least for a few years. Brenda

Anonymous

I have the same issue as Anon on both my right and left foot that I noticed last summer when putting on my sandals. I thought I have never had this spacing in the past. I just celebrated my 45th birthday. Other symptoms that have recently started are a swollen raised area between the first and second toe that varies in the amount of swelling much more pronounced on the left. I do feel some pinching pain on occasion in my foot while performing regular activities on my left foot. When my foot has swelling on top if I wear certain shoes I have discomfort if the shoe covers the swollen area closely. It sounds like it could be a Morton's neuroma however they say a neuroma between the 1st and 2nd toe is uncommon. I also have Morton's toe (2nd toe larger than the big toe). Could this be a Morton's neuroma? Thanks for any help Anne.

The spacing between my 2nd and 3rd toes seems to be increasing. I started putting two bandaids on them to pull them to the spacing they should be. For a long time, that worked. But lately, when I stand or walk for more than 10 minutes, it feels as if they are swelling and are going to explode; however, there is never any swelling. Brenda

Who do you trust for making healthy living/lifestyle choices? :