Bones & Joints

Bones & Joints Guide

ask: Space between 2nd and 3rd toes, L foot, is widening for no apparent reason. When I walk, I have pain in those toes and it feels as if gross swelling is taking place, but it isn't. What is this - circulation or something else?

Anonymous

I believe this is nutritional/hormonal - all my patients including me have no pain or neuromas but the following in common
1 hypothyroid longstanding
2 arthrites/fasciites/tendonitis
3 midlife
I'm an integrative gp so will continue to search other medical traditions for answer - you are only site I even see mentioning this , well done

missmarri (reply to Anonymous)

I too have this problem. Years ago I severely stubbed my toe and now the middle toe on that foot literally is U shaped but both feet are affected. I am 52, have hypothyroid and a longer second toe than big toe on both feet. Podiatrist has been treating with shots in the toes but each one seems to last an even shorter time than the previous one. I do have foot pain but podiatrist is fairly certain it is not a neuroma. I am an avid runner/fast walker and praying for a solution. I tape the 2nd and third toes together but it doesn't seem to help.

Ps we are of various races and racial mixtures

Anonymous

I am a private practice integrative gp and this issue occurs quietly separately from neuroma and is painless in all cases I know including myself. ...... The curious common denominator in all cases including me is hypothyroid activity longstanding so let's all look out for a more deep seated issue because in addition all women including me have tendon and tendon sheath inflammation issues)/fascisites/arthrites probably related to inflammatory cause of neuromas) . There is likely nutritional/hormonal root cause and I will now check other medical traditions for answers. Yours is the only site I even see this raised! Well done

LidiaAna

Last spring I started having a toe separation problem on my left foot between my second and 3rd toes. My second toe was beginning to rub up against my big toe. I work standing up and like to walk alot and found myself wearing fit flops 90% of the time because they are soooo comfortable. I used to have AA narrow feet and now I have between and A and a B width. I think its because my foot has begun to spread, widen, due to wearing open shoes that do not contain the foot. When I wore the shoes, my toes tended to fan out. It probably would have happened in any other opened shoe, but the fit flops were so comfortable, I wore them when I went to France and walked all over Paris in them.
I went to an orthopedic doctor this week and he said that the ligament that holds the toes together is rupturing, making it swollen under the toes, (the ball of the foot), and causing pain, burning sensation or numbness. My toes began to hammer, so there was pressure on the tips of those toes. The doctor gave me a pad with two straps on it to hold my toes together. It was uncomfortable.
Today I just wrapped the 2nd and 3rd toes together and did alot of walking in flats, and it was ok. The doctor said that I could have surgery, that might or might not work and that I'd have to be off of it for 6 wks. He also said that it might just heal itself if I tape the toes together. That's what I plan to do. Hope that happens. L.S. Dallas, TX

Anonymous

In the last year or so the 2nd, 3rd and 4th toe on right foot appear to be collapsing and folding to the right. Sometimes it feels like my foot is pulling apart between 1st and 2nd toe. After an hour or so, it becomes uncomfortable to walk. I have had an xray and MRI. The results do not indicate a Mortons Neuroma. I am scheduled to have surgery Feb 2013 to straighten my toes. Dont know if this will correct the problem since no cause has been determined. Years ago I would get a severe pain on the outside edge of my right foot. It was like someone was over tightening the muscle or ligament. I would also describe it as a labor pain.

Angie J (reply to Anonymous)

Hi, IO would really like to know what was the result of your surgery? I am looking at the same surgery but have a lot of reservations. Thank you so much. I hope you are doing well and that it was a great success. Thank you Angie .... jjblondiej@aol.com

Anonymous (reply to Angie J)

I had to cancel the surgery and have not rescheduled. I am seriously thinking of doing it later this year. I found toe covers with gel inside that I put on my crooked hammer toes. They keep the toes from rubbing on each other and from rubbing on the shoe. They work great! Still am limited in the types of shoes I can wear and my crooked toes look ugly. I don't have any pain. Did you have surgery? If so, how did it go? Any recommendations?

rkh606 (reply to Anonymous)

By all means, have the surgery! You will be so glad you did instead of hunting down contraptions to try and make your feet and toes feel better. I had my surgery in March 2014. My second and third toes separated and a large lump formed on the ball of my foot. It really hurt when I walked. The separation between my toes was so large that when I wore sandals my daughters would say that my toes looked like they were giving the "Mr. Spock's Vulcan Greeting!" Tried a steroid injection in the ball of my foot before deciding on surgery and it was one of the most painful things I've ever chosen to have done. To my amazement, I did not move my foot at all during the procedure but other parts of my body moved about wildly. I did yell some very colorful, unladylike words and phrases and as I did the look on my doctor's face was priceless! I laugh about it today. My surgeon snipped the affected nerve relieving the "V" toe, shaved off my bunion and repaired two hammer toes. My foot can now be used in magazines to advertise toenail polish!

That's odd Brenda, we'll look into it on our end. Thanks - it's good to know these things.

Who do you trust for making healthy living/lifestyle choices? :