Which one should I be drinking: soy milk, rice milk or cow's milk?

By October 7, 2008 - 12:15pm

I am so confused by all of the "milk" choices, and am not sure which one is the healthiest? I do not have any allergies or intolerances to dairy or soy. All three of these items (rice milk, soy milk and cow's milk) can be bought organic, low-fat, with no added preservatives or growth hormones (for cows), etc.

Are they all the same in calories, sodium, vitamins, minerals, etc? Are they all equally good for my skin and bones and overall health?

I could really use some help on this issue. I have three children who ALL have the cow protein allergy (this was explained in a previous post. My children are 7, 2 and one. If my two year old drinks cows milk or eats yougurt or cheese she gets down right nasty and hard to live with. My dilema is I really do not know what to give them. Soy is said to be high in estrogen and rice milk seems to be missing some essential items for brain development etc... I would really appreciate some advice on what to give kids who cannot tolerate milk products (when I nursed my kids I had to give up all milk products or they would scream non stop ... they are very sensitive to cows milk and products of cows milk)

(reply to Anonymous)

I'm lactose intolerant (since birth) and was raised on goat's milk. I also have a sensitivity to soy products, although I can have steamed soy beans (edamame) without a problem.

Have you talked this over with your pediatrician? You can get some of the essential vitamins, minerals, carbs and protein from other foods. But, your pediatrician may recommend additional supplements - vitamin and calcium tablets, for example.

Please let us know what your pediatrician suggests.

Something you may want to look into more is coconut milk...

(reply to Anonymous)

What can you tell us about coconut milk? Please share!

I agree with Anon that we shouldn't be having dairy products of any kind. I refrain from eating all dairy including cheese, ice cream, yougurt etc.. and I am very healthy. I also believe that we shouldn't drink the milk of another animal once past weaning. I posted info on this above. Humans eat and do a lot of things that are not natural or healthy because we like them. This does not mean that they are good for us. Processed foods are undeniably bad for us! So is the pollution in the cities we created!

People have been drinking milk for thousands of years, it's perfectly healthy for most. You could say the same thing about people living in cities or eating all the other processed food people eat. Also if you are anti-milk you must be anti-cheese, ice cream, yogurt, chocolate and so on, can't have it both ways. Sorry for the rant but comments like that irritate me.

-Oli B

The following article outlines the difference between Raw milk from cows eating their natural diet of grass and the milk from a modern dairy farm that is highly processed; suggesting that it's no wonder many people are allergic to milk from such unnatural sources. It is my speculation that many people who are allergic to milk are allergic to the latter and not the former.

HERWriter Guide (reply to Robert Koagedal)

Thanks for the link, Robert, it was a great read.

I'm also glad that Prop. 2 in California passed a few week ago. I don't live there but hope it ends up passed everywhere. No animals should have to suffer and have miserable lives so we can eat. If we all bought organic, the prices would come down very quickly.

I bought organic milk for my kids for ages and stopped - no real reason why, I think it's because my husband does most of our grocery shopping.

I'm going back to buying only organic milk again, like I do eggs, for my kids. It's worth it to me.

Susan, good thoughts on organic and yay! for Prop 2 in California. Robert's link to Lori Lipinski article certainly makes factory produced milk sound awful. Organic is not raw but it does eliminate a couple of the concerns raised.

There would be some improvement in economies of scale if many more people bought organic food but it is highly doubtful that it can be nearly as cheap as non-organic because yields are lower and there are additional costs such as inspection, certification, higher quality land, crop rotation and special processing requirements.

Here's an interesting recent article on Dept of Agriculture guidelines for what constitutes organic milk. http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/food/2008-11-18-organic-milk-cows_N.htm

HERWriter Guide (reply to itsdifferent4girls)

Linda, is it safe to say that 'raw' milk just means unpasteurized? My mother and her family drank milk straight from the cow, even as babies. It did actually cause stomach problems in the babies as their little bellies really are designed for breast milk but I always thought that unpasteurized milk was dangerous, even for adults? I was always told that it was very bad to drink it...