Q: 

severe foot pain on the bottom of my feet...hurts to stand on them and has lasted for 4 weeks now.

I awoke one morning and when I got out of bed, it hurt like crazy to stand on my feet. The pain continued very persistently for 3+ weeks... extremely tender in the morning, gradually getting better during the day, and increasing again in evenings. It felt like my foot had collapsed in the middle where the arch is, except I still had an arch there. On the inside of my feet there was slight swelling and slight discoloration . It has now been close to 5 weeks and the pain is getting to be less and less, but not gone completely yet. Accompanying this I also experienced pain and problems in my knees, and in a very unsystematic way, also had problems bending my knees. This would shift though....one day it was one leg and the next the the other leg, then it would subside and it would return..... It was so severe at one point, that just 2 weeks ago, I could barely go up and down stairs. The knee situation seems to have improved now and have not experienced that in the past 6 days now. Any ideas?
Laura

Anonymous

Hi Laura,
I am having the same issues. Did you ever find out what was wrong?
Gigi

Anonymous

Found out my foot pain-felt like I was walking on stone bruised feet. Sometimes the pain radiated to my ankles. Felt like two twisted ankles. These conditions started and stopped at random. Then I found out I had Hyperparathyroidism AND hypothyroidism a module or adenoma on right side in one parathyroid. They also found a goiter in my right side thyroid. Have had the adenoma removed and body and foot pain worsened. High levels of calcium are the the cause from Hyperparathyroidism. Now I have low thyroid due to the goiter. My phosphates, calcium and thyroid hormones are unbalanced. Causing my foot, ankles and knee pains. Try getting your parathyroid and thyroid levels checked. They say my body chemicals are unbalanced causing all these pains. Good luck. Going for another surgery in a week and half my thyroid and another parathyroid removed.

(reply to Anonymous)

Hi Susan
Seems like everyone is posting Anonymously so I created an account. Took a few minutes. Seems we can't tell who's talking to who. If people seriously want advice, help or answers we could at least know who is talking to who. So I took the 5 minute leap. I'm 57 and have been seriously researching several of my health problems that started one at a time and slowly. I now know that I've been treating the symptoms not knowing the cause is my thyroid and parathyroid which control all systems in the body. I had total and 'inexplicable' kidney failure and the doctors were stumped. I was on dyalisis for a month! And no doctor could tell me why after 35,000 worth of testing?? My research was not from blogs but doctors 'white paper' research and testing and my doctors testing and my blood tests. It is very hard for me to trust doctors. So I don't believe all they say. I demand tests and second opinions. So, anyway, sorry for the rant but please sign up so we know who were talking too. And go to the doctor and start making them work for YOU. Peace...

Anonymous (reply to Ginger777)

Ginger,
I hope you are feeling better! Any chance you were taking Nexium or a proton pump inhibitor? My mother went into renal failure as a direct result from Nexium. Good luck to you!

(reply to Anonymous)

Nope. I believe it had everything to do with the amount of calcium in my system from over active parathyroid (3 of them) causing 7 times the amount of calcium to be pulled from from bones and joints. I didn't take supplements either. I did find out that using naproxen sodium for pain did further the damage and contributed to my kidneys shutting down. I now have a calcium deficiency. Lol. Because I only have one parathyroid and it's not working well but getting better. I spent 4 days in the hospital after my second surgery. It was an 'outpatient' surgery but my calcium dropped to 5 (should 10-12) and now take Calcitrol .50mg twice a day along with chelated magnesium glyconate. Took a couple weeks to stop the tingling in hands and feet and 'tetany'. Type of cramping. Anyway. I'm doing bio-identical hormone RPT and it's working wonders. Still tweaking things. But I now have energy! Sleep at Nite without sweating and waking all night and no more hot flashes!! Working on losing the 75lbs I gained last year. Hope you are well. Thanks for listening. ")

HERWriter Guide (reply to Ginger777)

Hi Ginger777

Thanks for signing up - yes, it's so much easier when we're not talking to hundreds of Anons who forget their are hundreds of other Anons - keeping track is sometimes impossible!

I agree that doctors don't know everything, Medical mistakes by doctors causes thousands of deaths per year although of course, most doctors are really good.

Good luck with everything,

Thanx Susan. ")

Good luck Anon - keep us posted!

Thanx Susan and I will

Anonymous

I've struggled w foot pain and aches for years. Especially when I had retail job on feet for extended time.
A few tips: invest in good shoes w wide base and use support insoles.
Stretch feet w soft belt in morning before you get out of bed. Just sit up and use belt to stretch gently a few times. Use frozen peas or corn bag to put under feet as you sit at end of day. Finally, use golf balls to roll under your feet, finding tender areas. Press down. It works!