Bones & Joints

Bones & Joints Guide

ask: severe foot pain on the bottom of my feet...hurts to stand on them and has lasted for 4 weeks now.

I awoke one morning and when I got out of bed, it hurt like crazy to stand on my feet. The pain continued very persistently for 3+ weeks... extremely tender in the morning, gradually getting better during the day, and increasing again in evenings. It felt like my foot had collapsed in the middle where the arch is, except I still had an arch there. On the inside of my feet there was slight swelling and slight discoloration . It has now been close to 5 weeks and the pain is getting to be less and less, but not gone completely yet. Accompanying this I also experienced pain and problems in my knees, and in a very unsystematic way, also had problems bending my knees. This would shift though....one day it was one leg and the next the the other leg, then it would subside and it would return..... It was so severe at one point, that just 2 weeks ago, I could barely go up and down stairs. The knee situation seems to have improved now and have not experienced that in the past 6 days now. Any ideas?
Laura

Anonymous

I have something similar that I am going through, and very curious also.

For about 8-10 months now, I have had alternating pain, starting with what starts like the arch of my right foot soreness, then it progresses through to the top of my foot, feeling like somebody is driving a tent spike through it.

It will get progressively worse until so severe I cannot put any weight on that foot, lasting anywhere up to 4 days.
Then, slowly the pain will decrease until it's just a soreness like a strain.

All of this can last up to two months.

Then, when this has subsided, my left ankle will start to ache, mildly at first, then get worse to where I limp again because it is difficult and painful to bend my ankle when I step.
Along with this, I have very limited motion as far as bending the ankle up or down.
Again, this will slowly subside, until the pain is just a bit of soreness, and just about that time (again anywhere from 6 weeks to 2 months) my right foot will start to ache again.

I have tried new shoes thinking my old tennies might be worn out, tried wearing my work boots, tried sleeping in the recliner, couch, and even a different bed, thinking I may just be sleeping funny or perhaps crossing my ankles while sleeping.
None of this has made a difference, so I am very puzzled.

yolanda38 (reply to Anonymous)

hi my name is yolanda I can't help but to notice that you and I have the same foot problem my foot problem started in my right big toe in progress into my tire foot the pain was so intent it hurts to walk on it to touch it it took about 2 months for that pain to go away now the pain is in my left foot I've been to the emergency room screaming to the top of my lungs in so much pain no one can't tell me what this is I've been to been to my primary care I've been tested for gout they did blood clot test I still have not got any answersso what have you come up wit

Anonymous (reply to yolanda38)

Yolanda.
After more research yesterday, and noticing my middle toe was also swollen, I started checking on that, and read that an ingrown or infected toe nail can cause swelling and the pain we both seem to be experiencing, and that soaking 2-3 times a day for 10-20 minutes would help draw out the infection.

I tried it, and I don't know if it was just a coincidence, but my swollen toe has reduced a bit, and the pain is considerably less.
i

Anonymous

My question is to Laura. So what happened finally? what is the diagnosis? what did or did not work for you. My symptoms are same as yours and would like to know.

Mike

Anonymous

I think that people should consult a doctor and tell what is the basic pint where the pain started from and what was the reason which caused this surgery .. Or else they can take a pice of cloth fill it with salt tie it ad keep it on a hot surface and keep it on your swelling it will get better and give you a relief from the pain

Anonymous

I had surgery on my left ankle in 2009. I have a titanium bar and 11 screws. But lately the bottom of my heel and the sides are hurting so bad, its becoming imbearable. Do you think maybe the bar or screws are affecting me now??

Anonymous

Anonymous

Anonymous

Go to chiropractor. It is usually L 11 or L 15. My pain subsided in 72 hrs but had it for weeks. Good luck!

Anonymous

I do not understand why people do not update their condition. I feel the same pain. My condtion started after I took some travel shots about 3 weeks ago. Now I can barely walk. I am waiting for the lab results. Mine could be life threatening because my pain involves all of my body. I will update if my hand function is not affected by next week.

Who do you trust for making healthy living/lifestyle choices? :